VP$IP
PFR
Game Options
  1. Bounty
AF
Currency
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 37/16/67
Hello
This is the first time I have posted a hand question on here.

I had a hand that I need to talk about.

I had pocket 66 in middle position.

UTG opened, and on the last orbit he opened UTG I got to see it and it was As Js.

So I thought I would just call and see a flop if anyone 3 bets pre flop, I'm out of there and fold.

There very next seat calls.

So three to the flop.

Flop comes.
10d 6c 10s

I'm thinking I must have it here.

I bet half pot, and the next seat calls, the UTG folds.

The turn is Qh.

I over bet and get a call.

River is the 7c.

I go all in and get called and shown quad 10's.

Is this a hand I just go broke all the time?

They should have three bet pre flop, right?

Now on the Turn I understand they could have 10c Qc, but highly unlikely and at that point I had gone to far, I had less than was in the pot, by the river and they are going all in anyway, if I check.

What do you think?

Regards

GrahamR766

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a cooler but that does not mean that we shouldnt evaluate the hand as its played and then also dive into some of the thought process that you have as well. First, you dont mention stack sizes here or the size of the open by UTG. This plays a role in this hand where (even though Im guessing we are deep here) if we are short such as 25 BBs or less or maybe even 30 BBs (not sure what the exact cut off should be) we are shouldnt be calling here especially to UTG open as we are not deep enough to get the implied odds needed for the amount of times we miss the flop and have to fold. In the future try to give as much info as you can with regard to stack sizes of opponents, your stack size, open size, etc. Sticking to pre flop, your thinking of if anyone 3 bets Im out of there is not always correct. This would also depend on the effective stack size and also size of the 3 bet. There could easily be times we everyone is 100 BBs deep or more and we call a raise with 66 and then get a small 3 bet to 2.5-3x the open and then the initial opener calls and we are getting a price to set mine.

On the flop, we nail it and as you say should be feeling pretty good. UTG checks and its on us. Why are we betting half pot here? How many folds will that generate and what range of hands will call that from the villains we are against based on what type of villains they are? That is a question you should have an idea of so many times here on board where we flop the world half pot betting will just get fold, fold and the hand is done without really getting any value from it. I think against most of the players in the lower buy ins I would prefer checking here as we would be reliant on someone having 10x, a pair like 77, or just floating the flop to get a call. The rest of the time we are getting folds and we should be very upset when we get folds on this flop.

Turn brings in a potential bad card as Q10 suited is a hand that could potentially overcall if the player is loose but I would not be too worried about it. You overbet the pot here. This is another spot where how deep we are is good info to have to be able to analyze. If we are really really deep then overbetting is the only way to get all the chips in by the river but also less hands should want to be getting in 150 BBs deep or more so if we get someone to call off that much then its a really good hand that we may have to worry about a bit. If arent deep then overbetting is not necessary and all it might possibly do is make a hand like J10 think about folding which is not what we want. So either way I dont love the overbet unless you know villain will definitely call.

River is a 7 and without knowing the stack depth again I would just do as you did consider as played how we got to river. Its a cooler hand for sure but I think there are some things to focus on with the hand such as your bet sizing with nut or near nut hands, your thoughts against 3 bets pre flop with small pair hands, and depending on the actual stack depth of this hand... how stack depth varies what hands you should play pre and also how you play them postflop. In the end this hand is unavoidable assuming you were not uber uber deep and even then you will lose a lot of chips on it but the key is some thoughts about the hand that have nothing to actually do with losing the hand.

G

Grahamrock766

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a cooler but that does not mean that we shouldnt evaluate the hand as its played and then also dive into some of the thought process that you have as well. First, you dont mention stack sizes here or the size of the open by UTG. This plays a role in this hand where (even though Im guessing we are deep here) if we are short such as 25 BBs or less or maybe even 30 BBs (not sure what the exact cut off should be) we are shouldnt be calling here especially to UTG open as we are not deep enough to get the implied odds needed for the amount of times we miss the flop and have to fold. In the future try to give as much info as you can with regard to stack sizes of opponents, your stack size, open size, etc. Sticking to pre flop, your thinking of if anyone 3 bets Im out of there is not always correct. This would also depend on the effective stack size and also size of the 3 bet. There could easily be times we everyone is 100 BBs deep or more and we call a raise with 66 and then get a small 3 bet to 2.5-3x the open and then the initial opener calls and we are getting a price to set mine.

On the flop, we nail it and as you say should be feeling pretty good. UTG checks and its on us. Why are we betting half pot here? How many folds will that generate and what range of hands will call that from the villains we are against based on what type of villains they are? That is a question you should have an idea of so many times here on board where we flop the world half pot betting will just get fold, fold and the hand is done without really getting any value from it. I think against most of the players in the lower buy ins I would prefer checking here as we would be reliant on someone having 10x, a pair like 77, or just floating the flop to get a call. The rest of the time we are getting folds and we should be very upset when we get folds on this flop.

Turn brings in a potential bad card as Q10 suited is a hand that could potentially overcall if the player is loose but I would not be too worried about it. You overbet the pot here. This is another spot where how deep we are is good info to have to be able to analyze. If we are really really deep then overbetting is the only way to get all the chips in by the river but also less hands should want to be getting in 150 BBs deep or more so if we get someone to call off that much then its a really good hand that we may have to worry about a bit. If arent deep then overbetting is not necessary and all it might possibly do is make a hand like J10 think about folding which is not what we want. So either way I dont love the overbet unless you know villain will definitely call.

River is a 7 and without knowing the stack depth again I would just do as you did consider as played how we got to river. Its a cooler hand for sure but I think there are some things to focus on with the hand such as your bet sizing with nut or near nut hands, your thoughts against 3 bets pre flop with small pair hands, and depending on the actual stack depth of this hand... how stack depth varies what hands you should play pre and also how you play them postflop. In the end this hand is unavoidable assuming you were not uber uber deep and even then you will lose a lot of chips on it but the key is some thoughts about the hand that have nothing to actually do with losing the hand.
Thank you for your detailed response. I had 42Big Blinds at the start of the hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
With 42BB setmining from MP against an UTG open is a bit marginal. But if he was the shortest stack, its a bit better, since his bounty is then also part of your implied odds. As 300HPGOD say, knowing the stack sizes of everyone involved as well as the initial open would allow for better analysis.

Flop
Obviously a great flop for you. Presumably the preflop raiser checks, and now action is on you. I dont think, betting here is bad, but I prefer to start with a check. You dont need to worry about protection, when you already have a boat. And by checking you allow the guy behind you to bluff and both of them to catch up. If for instance the original raiser has a hand like AJ-AK or KQ, then he is probably just going to fold, if you bet. But if he get a free card and turn top pair, now you can probably get 2 streets of value from him.

Turn and river
Given that you started betting, you should continue doing so now. However with just 42BB effective there dont seem to be any compelling reason for an overbet. In general you want to distribute the remaining bets equally like 75% pot turn and 75% pot river rather than 120% pot turn and then only 30% pot river.

Results
Yes this is a hand, where you go broke every time AKA a cooler. If he is somewhat competent, then he dont call preflop with T7, T6 or even QTo, and he dont call the turn with 77. So even though you have the baby boat, he have very few better boats in his range. Its pretty much only TT (1), QTs (1) and maybe QQ (3). So you just happened to run into the absolute top of his range here.