$1 NLHE STT: Did Pro made the right call?

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone
I was playing with a multi-tabling pro on pokerstars and I had a good reads on villian.
Believe me or not, I don't usually do that but I put him on AK or AQ. I had an intuition feeling that he can't have AA KK QQ- And yes I was correct.
Since he was multi tabling I don't know if he took into consideration my image , perhaps this is why my bluff didn't work.(Such a pitty that I realised that after the game)

I tried to play like if I at least connected with the board making a pair. That is how normally players on this level do-- call flop in position and min-raise or shove raise on the turn.

I lost, You may tell that he could easilly have 88+ AJ+ KQ KJ and I know that but I was right 100% to what he was holding.

I think that this is first time in my life that I lost near the bubble and was happy after all. :D OF course I congratulated the player making a call and closed pokerstars for today.

Can you somehow describe the whole hand from both perspectives and tell me if he was correct to call on the end taking into consideration odds.

http://www.handconverter.com/hands/2742838

THANK YOU

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
soo many things wrong here i really don't know where to start...

is this really a STT the stack sizes look like an MTT to me. without knowing that i can't really begin to point out the flaws in your thinking.

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was 180 regular Sit n Go for 1$. At this stage about 40 maybe 50 players left. And average stack was about 20 bb

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok so just snap fold, these games are not about outplaying people postflop that much, vs strong ranges and multitabling regs, they will almost always be aggressive postflop and will not really be caring too much about what you do. Now once he bets flop the pot is getting big and he will likely fight for it since he will likely have a nice looking hand he does not want to let go.

so i don't mind the flop play, but once he bets turn, if we jam he's always calling, every single time. And if he ever folds you have labelled him wrong and he's not a good multitabling reg at all.

the reason is that he is way too priced in, he's shown stregth preflop/flop/turn so theres no reason to suspect he's anything but strong, and he only has to call some 1K chips in a pot that is now 2-3k.

So the things that strike me as being a really bad thought process are the fact you mention "intuition feeling" intuition only becomes relevant when you have played literally thousands or tens of thousands of games, only then will you have the subconscious knowledge to be able to trust your "intuition". Having said that, you seem to be on the right track, you are correct in this case he does not have AA KK QQ, but the actual reason is that it's just much harder for him to have such hands, and far easier for him to have the AK AQ AJ etc, that is due to there being more combinations on AK ETc and less of AA KK. So the actual way to think about it is to weight ranges correctly. So instead of just saying to yourself, "oh he doesnt have AA Here" put him on a range that will include those hands, but think of them happening much less of the time and running into the other hands more. Hope that makes sense i'm typing this in a bit of a rush..

X

xxMorpheusxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Logic/Practice is the training wheel for intuition.

Folding pre.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm gonna tell this hand from Villain's perspective:

Preflop: "OK. I'm gonna raise AK UTG because....well, duh...it's AK."

"OK, I've got 1 caller. I don't have many stats on this guy, so I'll just assume he's an average player for a $1 tourney (as in, not that great)."

Flop: "Well, I've missed the flop. But that is a raggedy unconnected board. vs most average $1 players, a Cbet should work here often enough. Plus, I've got overs"

Turn: "Hmm. He's called me twice, and I'm OOP. I should probably give up on this hand now. But I've got a lot of chips, I do have a gutshot and 2 overs. Maybe I can push him off his hand? I did raise from UTG and bet the flop so he might lay down some smaller pocket pairs to another bet. Plus, if I check and he bets I'll have to give up. and I hate giving up (because I'm not actually that good of a player). So screw it...I'll just bet again. Be aggressive, right?"

"oh crap. he jammed. he must have a jack. There is 7,661 in the pot and it only costs me 1,482 to call. so I guess I'm getting better than 5:1 on a call here. ugggg. that sucks because I have 10 outs, so I'm actually priced in to call. Why did I bet the turn? I'm such a donkey. I guess I'll pay this guy off on his stupid jack"

"Oh what?!! dang. never thought I'd be ahead there. Guess I was bluffing with the best hand the whole way. Cha-Ching Cha-Ching Cha-Ching!"

I think you both played this hand not optimally. But yeah...he is priced in to call your turn bet.