$1 NLHE STT Deep Stacked: Fold to all-in after this hand and top pair was it wrong?

C

cifacia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$1 NLHE STT: Fold to all-in with top pair, should've I folded before?

Hey!

Beginner trying to learn well here and sorry for the bad title but couldn't think of a better one. This is the hand

PokerStars - 15/30 NL - Holdem - 7 players

MP: 56.17 BB
CO: 97.33 BB
Hero (BTN): 65.83 BB
SB: 53 BB
BB: 50.17 BB
UTG: 93.33 BB
UTG+1: 34.17 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A 5

fold, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, fold, CO calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB, UTG+1 calls 2 BB, CO calls 2 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 5 players) A J 3
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets 8 BB, fold, BB raises to 16 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 8 BB

Turn: (47 BB, 2 players) J
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (47 BB, 2 players) 6
BB bets 31.17 BB and is all-in, fold

BB wins 47 BB

So I am gonna go through my rationale at every street, keep in mind I really just started to try and play better. Please correct any of my reasoning here.

Preflop:
A couple of limpers here, I don't have super strong hand, but on the BTN I like it enough, so I raise 3BB. In retrospective maybe should have been a bit more sizeable to reduce the field and that my hand is not super strong? All but BB (don't know yet) showed a bit of weakness so I thought 3BB was enough here, but I am really not sure.
Everyone calls, this is not great for me.

Flop:
Checks all around, I am thinking either they are hiding an A to re-raise or they missed or just not betting against raiser with a middle pair. In any case I have top pair here and I have position, I don't think they hit their A given how the pre-flop played out, except I don't know much about BB. I bet around 1/2 pot with my top pair. All fold but BB! BB min raises me.

At this point I am thinking he has an A too or maybe he's trying to improve a J or maybe he thinks his J is good enough (maybe J high kicker?). Oppo had very high VPIP and generally loose hence he has a very wide range and I am not sure where to put him at the moment. I call, thinking he could very well have a J, I really strongly think he has a J here given that he checked back to me. I rule out a draw given how aggressive he's playing.
I have lots invested and still have position to understand more, might he be bluffing? Though not sure he'd call 3BB on a bluff preflop.
But I might have made a mistake here? Should I have folded here? Something tells me I should've.

In retrospective call was probably the worse move? But I didn't feel comfortable enough to re-raise here...

Turn:
J ! I am now very concerned. Oppo checks back to me. I am thinking if betting or not. However, I think that given how he behaved on flop he might have an A with high kicker or worse he hit his set. I was really putting him on J at the end of the flop if on a point.
If I bet what hands really fold here except a complete bluff? But then again how I win?
I don't feel very confident with my A here, the kicker is too low and I don't think I can bluff many hands away. He must have at least a good A, no? I do have two pair, but given the 3 on board, any A with good kicker beats me and we'll not chop.

River:
6 ... oppo snaps all in. At this point I fold, I don't think I win over nothing except a bluff.

So my questions to you:

- Do you think I could have played differently? Probably folding to the raise?
- Is my thought process here making any sense?
- Do you think there is a chance oppo was bluffing?

Thank you! I look forward learning from your answers!

Last edited:

2blive

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
its possible

NLH is a game of incomplete information. And try as we may, players don't win every hand nor are we required to win every hand in order to win a sng or mtt. A5 0ff this early in a sng is optimistic. Without any tells on the other players, check call, plan to fold to massive aggression is ok.
Vilan could have had a suited J flush draw in which case good fold.
Vilan could have had K 10 suited flush and missed in which case not a good fold. Players can go crazy thinking of all the what if he had X scenarios. Living for better spots in the future is not bad. This is different in late stages with 3 or fewer players left. The single pair is a much stronger hand. hope this helps.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey!

Beginner trying to learn well here and sorry for the bad title but couldn't think of a better one. This is the hand

PokerStars - 15/30 NL - Holdem - 7 players

MP: 56.17 BB
CO: 97.33 BB
Hero (BTN): 65.83 BB
SB: 53 BB
BB: 50.17 BB
UTG: 93.33 BB
UTG+1: 34.17 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A 5

fold, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, fold, CO calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB, UTG+1 calls 2 BB, CO calls 2 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 5 players) A J 3
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets 8 BB, fold, BB raises to 16 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 8 BB

Turn: (47 BB, 2 players) J
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (47 BB, 2 players) 6
BB bets 31.17 BB and is all-in, fold

BB wins 47 BB

So I am gonna go through my rationale at every street, keep in mind I really just started to try and play better. Please correct any of my reasoning here.

Preflop:
A couple of limpers here, I don't have super strong hand, but on the BTN I like it enough, so I raise 3BB. In retrospective maybe should have been a bit more sizeable to reduce the field and that my hand is not super strong? All but BB (don't know yet) showed a bit of weakness so I thought 3BB was enough here, but I am really not sure.
Everyone calls, this is not great for me.

Flop:
Checks all around, I am thinking either they are hiding an A to re-raise or they missed or just not betting against raiser with a middle pair. In any case I have top pair here and I have position, I don't think they hit their A given how the pre-flop played out, except I don't know much about BB. I bet around 1/2 pot with my top pair. All fold but BB! BB min raises me.

At this point I am thinking he has an A too or maybe he's trying to improve a J or maybe he thinks his J is good enough (maybe J high kicker?). Oppo had very high VPIP and generally loose hence he has a very wide range and I am not sure where to put him at the moment. I call, thinking he could very well have a J, I really strongly think he has a J here given that he checked back to me. I rule out a draw given how aggressive he's playing.
I have lots invested and still have position to understand more, might he be bluffing? Though not sure he'd call 3BB on a bluff preflop.
But I might have made a mistake here? Should I have folded here? Something tells me I should've.

In retrospective call was probably the worse move? But I didn't feel comfortable enough to re-raise here...

Turn:
J ! I am now very concerned. Oppo checks back to me. I am thinking if betting or not. However, I think that given how he behaved on flop he might have an A with high kicker or worse he hit his set. I was really putting him on J at the end of the flop if on a point.
If I bet what hands really fold here except a complete bluff? But then again how I win?
I don't feel very confident with my A here, the kicker is too low and I don't think I can bluff many hands away. He must have at least a good A, no? I do have two pair, but given the 3 on board, any A with good kicker beats me and we'll not chop.

River:
6 ... oppo snaps all in. At this point I fold, I don't think I win over nothing except a bluff.

So my questions to you:

- Do you think I could have played differently? Probably folding to the raise?
- Is my thought process here making any sense?
- Do you think there is a chance oppo was bluffing?

Thank you! I look forward learning from your answers!

Thank U 4 Posting

You may want to bet 3x +1 for each limper and 1 for BB preflop so 6 not 3.

That may win it preflop a good outcome.

In a spot where the 2 callers will call the 2 BB 100% the BB will have 5-1 odds to call.
As it turned out the BB got over 6-1 to call.
That falls in the any two cards can call correctly area.
Poker is about making our Villains make mistakes. We want always in NL to be giving our V's the wrong pot odds when they call.

On the flop we have to be thinking bet fold. Especially to a min raise as the min raise expects no folds. This is not high stakes poker min raises at this level are the nuts trying to get called to build a big pot.

Hope this helps

:):)

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop with A5o. You have weak kicker.
You can limp with Axs, which play good in multiway pot.
If you want raise do it 3bb + 1bb for every limper.
As played: continuation bet and fold against raise.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker