$1 NLHE: Overestimated my opponent?

W

Wardy88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1 NL HE: Overestimated my opponent?

I only play the micro limits and have run into this type of situation many times.

pokerstars Game #35378498636: Tournament #212735956, $1.00+$0.20 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2009/11/15 5:34:42 ET
Table '212735956 4' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Djaina (2523 in chips)
Seat 4: ploOfz (8418 in chips)
Seat 5: olonets (10978 in chips)
Seat 6: cpando (10512 in chips)
Seat 7: Icey-Iceman (3702 in chips)
Seat 8: skodazdesya (8947 in chips)
Seat 9: ShaneWard88 (22420 in chips)
Djaina: posts the ante 50
ploOfz: posts the ante 50
olonets: posts the ante 50
cpando: posts the ante 50
Icey-Iceman: posts the ante 50
skodazdesya: posts the ante 50
ShaneWard88: posts the ante 50
ploOfz: posts small blind 400
olonets: posts big blind 800
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ShaneWard88 [Qs Qc]
cpando: calls 800
Icey-Iceman: folds
skodazdesya: folds
ShaneWard88: raises 1000 to 1800
Djaina: folds
ploOfz: folds
olonets: folds
cpando: calls 1000
*** FLOP *** [7d 3s Jd]
cpando: bets 2400
ShaneWard88: calls 2400
*** TURN *** [7d 3s Jd] 8♣
cpando: bets 3200
ShaneWard88: calls 3200
*** RIVER *** [7d 3s Jd 8c] Q♦
cpando: bets 3062 and is all-in
ShaneWard88: calls 3062
*** SHOW DOWN ***
cpando: shows [2d Kd] (a flush, King high)
ShaneWard88: shows [Qs Qc] (three of a kind, Queens)
cpando collected 22474 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 22474 | Rake 0
Board [7d 3s Jd 8c Qd]
Seat 1: Djaina (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: ploOfz (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: olonets (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: cpando showed [2d Kd] and won (22474) with a flush, King high
Seat 7: Icey-Iceman folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: skodazdesya folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: ShaneWard88 showed [Qs Qc] and lost with three of a kind, Queens

I have seen many micro limit players limp call UTG with AA and KK before so I was worried about this hand from the beginning. I just couldn't bring myself to fold an overpair to the bet on the flop even though I had a feeling I was behind, I was hoping that it was an attempt to take away the pot and that he would slow down on the turn.

When he bet the turn I cringed, it looked like a value bet because it really committed him to the pot on the river regardless, but I believed his range was large enough to include AJ and it was unlikely he would semi-bluff the turn after I flat called the flop, the deciding factor in my call was that even if I lost I would only be second in chips and have a good chance to get it back.

The river really didn't change much, I was calling whether or not I improved. My question is whether I should have re raised on the flop or is flat calling acceptable? It's these spots that really stump me and I believe my fearful play led to me losing this critical pot. Also is the fact that I grossly overestimated my opponents range a leak? Is there anything I can do to fix this as I seem to be doing it a lot and not getting good value out of my hands when they hold up.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks :).

V

victordoors

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can probably reraise after he bet o the flop.... It might just scare him away from trying harder on that draw. It also weights the strenght of his hand. I mean, if you take the implied odds into account and think you end up on an all in bet from him, you can force that situation from the beginning without him having completed his hand.

Or maybe just fold and stay out of trouble and still chip leader....

H

HipHopStoner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, that first bet he made on the flop looked like a flush draw bet and the turn bet made me know for sure that is what he had..

Try re-raising on the flop and if he tops you seriously considering folding if you think he does have the aces or kings.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise bigger preflop, you didn't even raise it 2.5xBB
The flop bet is such a donk move by the villain that I'd probably just shove over it and then fist pump when he calls with his draw or TP hand.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just shove over the top on the flop - there's 7550 in the pot and he's only got about 6200 left behind. All we're really worried about here is a set, we're ahead of pretty much everything else when we get called (by draws, TPTK or worse) and if the villain folds we've picked up a nice chunk of change.

As played we've gotta call the river - villain's bet all three streets flush / straight draws that completed have got to be a very small part of his range. It's way more likely to be a set, TPTK or two pair and we just improved to beat all of them.

One thing, when you're posting hands try to leave the results out as seeing them can make for less meaningful feedback. In this case it's the flop you've got the main question about, so only post the hand up to the villain's action on the flop then ask your question.

Welcome to Cardschat, BTW :)

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just shove over the top on the flop - there's 7550 in the pot and he's only got about 6200 left behind. All we're really worried about here is a set, we're ahead of pretty much everything else when we get called (by draws, TPTK or worse) and if the villain folds we've picked up a nice chunk of change.

As played we've gotta call the river - villain's bet all three streets flush / straight draws that completed have got to be a very small part of his range. It's way more likely to be a set, TPTK or two pair and we just improved to beat all of them.

One thing, when you're posting hands try to leave the results out as seeing them can make for less meaningful feedback. In this case it's the flop you've got the main question about, so only post the hand up to the villain's action on the flop then ask your question.

Welcome to Cardschat, BTW :)
+1 to every thing he said, also please use a converter, i like this one http://www.stoxpoker.com/pokertools/handconverter but there are plenty of others u can use.

W

Wardy88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the good feedback. I'm only new to posting so thanks for the link to the converter :) I'll definitely use it next time.

When I look back at the hand I realize that my pre flop raise was too small but this was the size that was winning the blinds for me. I try to steal with as small a raise as possible so its easier to control the size of the pot if I get action, but raising an UTG limp isn't really the same as stealing the blinds so that's a stupid play on my part. I guess that's why I'm still at micro limits :p

I'll definitely play more proactive and come over the top on the flop next time I find a situation similar to this. Thanks :).