$1 NLHE MTT: fold high pair with high kicker.

P

peza8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 15/15/4

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds 25 Ante (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button (t4,197)
SB (t4,430)
BB (t7,108)
UTG (t5,632)
Hero (MP) (t9,522)

Hero's M: 13.13

Preflop: Hero is MP with J
club.gif
, A
club.gif

UTG bets t889, Hero calls t889, 3 folds

Flop: (t2,503) 4
heart.gif
, J
heart.gif
, 8
heart.gif
(2 players)
UTG bets t1,200, Hero calls t1,200

Turn: (t4,903) 4
spade.gif
(2 players)
UTG bets t3,518 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: t4,903

Results below:
UTG didn't show
was my fold here right?

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probs not. TAGs double barrel here a lot, and you get value from Ahigh flush draws and weaker Jx's.

Don't really like your flat pre btw. 14bb effective 5 handed with AJs we can reshove here I think

D

DrSparky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds on the shove are 1:2.4 and equity is around 60-50% so as played I think I would have called the shove (My maths has been known to be a little off and I'm just getting used to equity/pot odd calculations do please forgive me if this is wrong), however, I'm not that keen on the flat pre-flop I think this might just get into my 3-betting range as we have position...

TheKid84

TheKid84

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way this is played, the one thingI have the biggest issue is the flop play.

Top pair and top kicker in a tournament against a preflop raise like that, I'm pegging him on something like KJ or even maybe QJ, and maybe with a high heart.

On the flop, he throws a cbet of 1200 at you, making the pot 3700 total and leaving him with 3500. In this position with that hand, I'm thinking a pair with a decent flush draw. I'm liking my hand and reraising him, either making him commit to this hand or folding.

Even if you were to lose this hand and double him up, looks like you'd be sitting around 4000 or so with a couple other people at that table. The target wouldn't be on your head essentially, but you would be in a preflop shove situation. You'd still have a chip and a chair.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold is awful! Sorry; but you're playing vs a SS and have the nuts basically, what are you hoping to hit by calling pre flop if you intend folding TPTK here?

I think I just ship pre; villian is like 12bb deep.

As played; you have to call the turn. You can't call the flop with TPTK with the intention of folding out any turns, I mean..thinking about why you're flatting to start with to fold likely the best hand makes no sense. What sort of flop are you hoping for to make a stacking of easier? The turn is like the best card in the deck for making this a snap call..

You basically have the nuts..you can't ask for much more vs a short stack :)

Also; just get it in on the flop, he's committed nearly and calls any pair + all draws.

Folding in Poker