$1 NLHE HU Tourney: should i gone allin ?

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1 NL HE HU Tourney: should i gone allin ?

it seems to me i needed to raise more on the river?

what is the perfect play here?

Table Information
Seat 1: Hero ($1,531)DealerSeat 2: villain ($1,469)Small BlindDealt to Hero
5S.png
3S.png

Preflop (Pot:45)
CALL Hero $15
RAISE villain $90
CALL Hero $60
Flop (Pot: $210)

5D.png
5H.png
AC.png

CHECK villain
CHECK Hero
Turn (Pot: $210.00)

5D.png
5H.png
AC.png
8C.png

BET villain $120
RAISE Hero $270
CALL villain $150
River (Pot: $750)

5D.png
5H.png
AC.png
8C.png
6H.png

CHECK villain
BET Hero $150
CALL villain $150

Last edited by a moderator:
S

strims

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine. Nice check on the flop and re-raise on the turn. My only observations would be that your initial call with 3 5 suited was a little risky (although there is nothing wrong with occasionally calling with these hands, just not too often), and that you're right, you could probably have got paid off a little more on the river. I don't see any point in going all in, you didn't have the nuts, and although at these levels you do get players making wacky calls, imo you shouldn't get too greedy. Stick to playing good, solid poker and a raise to about half pot size would have probably got paid off here as he obviously wasn't super-confident he had the best hand (Exhibit A - check-calling on the river).
what is the perfect play here?
I don't think perfect plays exist, and you'll find becoming a better poker player easier to achieve if you stop looking for them. Concentrate on finding your optimum playing style and then playing that to the best of your ability. You'll find plenty of people willing to tell you that you should do this or that in poker, but if you make your decisions based on sound, rational judgement and experience and intelligent thought you won't go far wrong.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some thoughts:

First, if you're going to post heads up hands you must must must give your reads on the villain when you post them. This hand plays very differently against a nit as opposed to a spewtard or a calling station.

Next, I know this is HU and any two will do... but limp-calling with 5-3 preflop? I don't like it against any opponent. If you play all your bad hands this passive you'll be bleeding chips.

Assuming we're against a normal aggressive but not insane villain the flop slowplay is OK, if you're going to do that you have to raise the turn more though. What you've put out is barely more than a minraise and if they can call that they can call bigger too. You have a big hand and you need to build the pot to be able to extract maximum value.

But it's the river that tilts me beyond belief - why bet so small?!?

This actually illustrates my turn bet sizing point too. On the river the pot is 720 and you've both got just over 1100 behind. Go all in here and yes it's an overbet that probably doesn't get called. If you had've raised the turn to say 350 though, then there would've been 860 in the pot, you both would've had closer to 1000 behind and you can bet somewhere around the 600 mark. Maybe villain calls and you win a bigger pot than you otherwise would have, or maybe he figures there's no point leaving the 400 behind in which case he gets it all in and you snapcall. Maybe you can even shove and villain figures it's not that big an overbet to call with his naked ace or w/e, but that's very villain and read dependent.

Anywho, point is if there is such a thing as a "perfect" river play you've compromised it on the earlier streets by not building the pot big enough.

One last thing: please please please for the love of all that's unholy stop including results in the first post of the thread.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since he likely has an ace, and its 1$ hu, just raise more on the turn card. Then it will be easier to get it in on the river.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at it from his perspective. He is checking the flop, so he must think he is ahead, and trying to fool you by playing tricky.
That means he will pay you off big time. If he is like the usual players on this level, he will never give his hand up, no matter how you play it.

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see any point in going all in, you didn't have the nuts

is this a key point beign patient and waiting your opponent to make a mistake.

you must must must give your reads on the villain when you post them

ok i do that new time.

if you're going to do that you have to raise the turn more though

i get busted so many times on the turns as i had a better hand and he rivered me....the implied odds kill me they dont seem to be folding at 1,2 $ HU.

But it's the river that tilts me beyond belief - why bet so small?!?

I was scared.....now adays i play slow and scared.(the bad thing seems to be i earn more money!!!)

That means he will pay you off big time. If he is like the usual players on this level, he will never give his hand up, no matter how you play it.

that is it....they dont give up so easily....i started to play slower and win more.

I really dont get it.i stopped aggresive aggresive style and be passive-tricky and win more.is it the way i should play this level?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see any point in going all in, you didn't have the nuts

I missed this the first time around. The point of getting all in (or betting big enough to try to get all in) is that the villain should be calling you with a load of hands that you beat. In this case it's pretty reasonably to expect big action at the very least from any ace or two pair. There are only two hands that make the villain a straight (47 and 79), neither of which are especially likely given the way the hand's been played and since there's only one five left in the deck the chances of villain having a boat are greatly reduced too.

RI_ER_SA said:
i get busted so many times on the turns as i had a better hand and he rivered me....the implied odds kill me they dont seem to be folding at 1,2 $ HU.

HU is a swingy game. It's the nature of the beast and you either get used to it or start playing at full tables. If the villains aren't folding here then that's great - you'll be getting your money in as a favourite (likely a big favourite) and that's the best you can hope for.

So if you're holding a monster (and trips on a board like this is a monster HU) do your best to get as much money in the middle as possible. If you get busted then meh, start another game. You got your money in good and should be happy to do the same again.

Even if you're experiencing a small uptick in your results, slow and scared is absolutely NOT the way to play HU.

S

strims

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I missed this the first time around. The point of getting all in (or betting big enough to try to get all in) is that the villain should be calling you with a load of hands that you beat. In this case it's pretty reasonably to expect big action at the very least from any ace or two pair. There are only two hands that make the villain a straight (47 and 79), neither of which are especially likely given the way the hand's been played and since there's only one five left in the deck the chances of villain having a boat are greatly reduced too.
Reading my post again, I agree that my point about not holding the nuts is a poor one as I would be more than happy to get it all in on this board. The more valid issue I was trying to make is that I don't know whether an all-in bet would get paid off too often here, for one thing, the villain has got to be wary of the raise on the turn. Personally I think there's more chance of action with a bet of 350-400 and then be happy to see an over-the-top shove, which I think is probably close to what you are saying anyway?

L

luckytokenz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have raised him 3x his bet on the turn and bet about half the pot on the river and see if it gets called. The chances are you have the best hand. You should have raised more on the turn and value bet your hand on the river. you want him to think your on a busted draw and his ace might be good but bet the hand for value.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there's more chance of action with a bet of 350-400 and then be happy to see an over-the-top shove, which I think is probably close to what you are saying anyway?

Pretty much, yeah :)

My basic point is we need to have built the pot on earlier streets so that it's feasible to be able to shove the river and get called. Because we haven't though you're in the right ballpark with betting 350-400 and hoping villain shoves over the top.

J

j0na1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd raise more on turn since any A pays us off, any flushdraw is discouraged to call. Id 'd raise 360

C

chipshuffler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've played the hand fine. A couple of things i would like to see you have done is simply to bet the flop. I dont like at all checking with trips and then re-raising the turn. It is very obvious you are holding a big hand. However, if you are going to do this, bet bigger on the turn, betting 270 really makes it look like you want him in there (saying you have a big hand) which isnt good. But you played it differently, and your play was fine.

Good luck at the tables!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like at all checking with trips and then re-raising the turn. It is very obvious you are holding a big hand.

This is a very good point - if anything the "tricky" play here is actually to value bet all three streets :p

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have always been a huge supporter of just betting the hell out of all your big hands for value on all streets in the micro's. Just bet the flop/turn and shove the river.

The worst thing about this whole hand is the river bet, at least if we check it we can give villian a chance to shove a naked ace. Still though, shoving on the river is better.

valientone

valientone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this one is a hard one to say.. how deep in the tournament were you.. and did u actually end up winning the hand? i didnt understand all the information..

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this one is a hard one to say.. how deep in the tournament were you.. and did u actually end up winning the hand? i didnt understand all the information..
Perhaps reading the post before trying to answer it would have helped...

B

beerschot007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you'd better pushed on the turn. maybe he had like a flushdraw, but at a 1$tournament people would call with that. :)