$1 NLHE HU Tourney: flopped top two pair

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1 NL HE HU Tourney: flopped top two pair

i really dont get it. why does he call flop and turn and raise this much at the river ?

am i so greedy to think he can not be going to flush?

i thought he got a king like i did.

Table Information
Seat 1: Hero ($1,400)Small BlindSeat 2: villain ($1,600)DealerDealt to Hero
9S.png
KH.png

Preflop (Pot:30)
CALL villain $10
CHECK Hero
Flop (Pot: $40)

9C.png
KC.png
3H.png

BET Hero $20
CALL villain $20
Turn (Pot: $80.00)

9C.png
KC.png
3H.png
6H.png

BET Hero $80
CALL villain $80
River (Pot: $240)

9C.png
KC.png
3H.png
6H.png
7H.png

BET Hero $100
RAISE villain $540
ALL-IN Hero $1,190
CALL villain $740

Last edited by a moderator:
SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unavoidable. People stack with a lot less that your top two pair, even at the $5 level.

Mike1Nap4

Mike1Nap4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Somebody did that to me in a cash game. Hit trips on the flop, bet big and the guy chased and hit runner runner for the flush. Try putting a bigger bet out so they wont chase.

smallteene

smallteene

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People will chase to see. I hate losing to runner runner like that. Shapes kill me a lot in ring games...especially when it comes to tournament life or something like that....

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at low stakes....i started to play a lot slower..

i dont know, just wait for them to make a mistake...losing like this equals to losing time...(which i need a lot)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
River is standard unless you've got some read that he's never doing this without at least a straight... which is super-rare heads up so I'd be happy to get it in.

To answer your questions though:

1 - He calls the flop because he has ace high and LOL nobody is folding that to a minbet there.

2 - He calls the turn because he has ace high AND the nut flush draw and the bet size is still negligible.

3 - He raises that much on the river because he figures when you've bet three streets in a row you'll probably pay him off. He was right, FWIW.

4 - Don't post results if you want meaningful analysis.

If I'm the villain I'm raising you preflop but as he played it I really only think it's his turn call that's questionable and even then... I know strictly speaking the pot odds aren't there for him to call but the implied odds almost certainly are plus stacks are still deep enough to make a loose call like that.

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 - He calls the flop because he has ace high and LOL nobody is folding that to a minbet there.

u say i lost the hand on the flop...ok if i am gonna play passive then u tell me dont be a calling station when he has the nuts probability.I agree...

4 - Don't post results if you want meaningful analysis.

I really want other peoples views as i have hard time making good decisions.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
u say i lost the hand on the flop...ok if i am gonna play passive then u tell me dont be a calling station when he has the nuts probability.I agree...

I really want other peoples views as i have hard time making good decisions.

Erm... no. I'm not saying you lost the hand on the flop. But you asked (possibly rhetorically, IDK) why the villain called you on the flop and the turn. Those were the answers.

You didn't lose this hand on the flop - you just failed to extract maximum value and build the pot. You didn't lose this hand on the turn either, though again you failed to extract maximum value and build the pot. You did lose the hand on the river, but ironically, unless your opponent is Nitty McNitterson that was actually the street you played best. You're supposed to get all in there.

To be honest I really don't get the rest of that sentence. Against all but a few hyper-aggro opponents passive is not the way to play HU. Your opponent had the nuts in this hand but you have to think in terms of ranges of hands and his range is a lot wider than the nuts there. Any king and lower two pairs are possible here too, as are bluffs, and you beat them.

Which leads into my second point. Absolutely keep posting hands and asking questions, it's what this section is here for and there are plenty of people who are happy to help. But stop telling us how the hand ends - just stop the hand at the point where you want feedback on what the best decision is and ask your questions. Like these examples:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-hand-analysis-51/3-40-nl-he-what-would-163306/
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-hand-analysis-51/11-nl-he-rebuy-aa-mp1-163420/

A lot of people's judgement will be clouded if they know how the hand ends.

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ust stop the hand at the point where you want feedback on what the best decision is and ask your questions.

ok i do that.

that is much smarter.I can concentrate on decisions instead of results.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so he ended up having the nut flush and caught runner runner??

if so than you gave him great odds to do so with your flop and turn bet...and than shoving into him when he hit his nuts (lol) on the river

S

sheepy10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you really need to raising more here in this HU situation