TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1 NL HE: First hand of the Daily Dollar

Very first hand.

I admit I'm thinking, with a $1 buy in, I could be up against anything.

Do you fold here?

Stacks:
* SB with 3000
* BB with 3000
* UTG with 3000
* UTG+1 with 3000
* MP1 with 3000
* MP2 with 3000
* CO with 3000
* BTN with 3000

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
* * Dealt to BTN:K♠ A♥
* * Sklansky group 2
Preflop:
* * UTG calls [20]
* * 4 players fold.
* * Hero raises to 120
* * SB calls [110]
* * BB calls [100]
* * UTG calls [100]
* * Total folds this street: 4
* * Potsize: 480
Flop:
* * A♠ Q♥ K♥
* * SB checks
* * BB checks
* * UTG checks
* * Hero bets [520]
* * SB calls [520]
* * 1 players fold.
* * UTG calls [520]
* * Total folds this street: 1
* * Potsize: 2040
Turn:
* * 4♦
* * SB bets [2,360, and is all in]
* * UTG calls [2,360] [ all-in ]
* * Hero ??

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

P

Practical

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call, assuming two things from what you stated: They don't care as much since it's a one dollar tourney and they're not to experienced.

This is what I what feel they have: one being that they made their pair and felt it was a nice kicker to go all-in. Two being that one of them may be on a flush draw.

That's why I would call that hand, feeling really comfortable with my top two pair

M

mimi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call. You still can make a full house on the river even if the flush draw hits. You have a chance to triple up. The pot odds practically demand it. Plus you are in pretty good shape with 2 pair and, yeah, there's a possible straight out there, too, that may already have hit. But on FT, anything can, and usually does, happen by the river.

So the question now is .... did you call? If so, what was the result?

F

FreezerJumps

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call. The only way the 4 hit him is if he has 44, which he would have folded on the flop. The only hands beating you are AA, KK, QQ and JT, which he probably would have bet or raised with on the flop, instead of waiting for the blank turn.

Also note he limped UTG, which could mean he's holding a monster, but in the Daily Dollar, probably means he's just an idiot.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call, assuming two things from what you stated: They don't care as much since it's a one dollar tourney and they're not to experienced.

This is what I what feel they have: one being that they made their pair and felt it was a nice kicker to go all-in. Two being that one of them may be on a flush draw.

That's why I would call that hand, feeling really comfortable with my top two pair

This was my overiding thought, mistakenly so.

I called.

SB hit a set of 4's on the turn (you would have to ask him how he's calling a overbet to the pot on that flop).

But we were both generally dead to UTG who turns over J 10 to hit a straight on the flop.

Just for kicks and giggles, this hand and this hand -> https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-hand-analysis-51/1-nl-he-good-stack-two-158662/

happened within about 45 seconds of each other.

Made for a truly "that's poker" evening.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early in these tournaments players will float almost any raise with a large variety of hands. Your flop bet was perfect to discourage the chasers but once you got 2 callers you should be expecting trouble and try to get to showdown cheaply. With the turn bets you can easily fold top2 away here expecting at a minimum someone having trips.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in these tournaments players will float almost any raise with a large variety of hands. Your flop bet was perfect to discourage the chasers but once you got 2 callers you should be expecting trouble and try to get to showdown cheaply. With the turn bets you can easily fold top2 away here expecting at a minimum someone having trips.

+1

If I could count the times that 2 good pair on the flop got me into trouble early in a tournament then......
The fourth street bet and 2 callers would hae made me think quite a bit into this.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1

If I could count the times that 2 good pair on the flop got me into trouble early in a tournament then......
The fourth street bet and 2 callers would hae made me think quite a bit into this.

For sure, it made me think quite a bit too.

A tough fold no matter what, IMHO, but I can't deny I really felt I had the best hand and was facing (for lack of a better term) $1 buy in maniac type play. The 4's calling my bet on that flop is an example. An absurd play, in my opinion. He "get's lucky" on the turn, or so he thought.

In hindsight, making assumptions as to the type of players you are facing is a mistake, and any judgement like that would need to come from a reasonably sized sample of hands.

You should pushed pre flop.

Might have worked. The play from the 4's indicates not here, however. That sucker really liked his lowly PP for some reason.

P

Pokemaster

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Might have worked. The play from the 4's indicates not here, however. That sucker really liked his lowly PP for some reason.

At micro stakes it is best option.

JustRaiseTheBlinds

JustRaiseTheBlinds

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call here.
You have a strong hand and you are only beat against a set...

But it's the first hand of a low buy-in tournament, so your opponent could have any two here imo...

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
daily dollar? i would of value shoved preflop. but for sure i'd snap call the allin here.

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, its a definite call with the redraw to the full house. Its the daily dollar, you could be up against just a queen..

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands