$1.75 NLHE STT Turbo: $$1.75 NLHE STT Turbo: Leader on bubble mid-PP

MuscleMan76

MuscleMan76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both villains limp a ton! Do I let them duke it out or shove on top?

PokerStars - $1.50+$0.25|100/200 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: 2,580.00
SB: 3,771.00
Hero (BB): 5,034.00
UTG: 2,115.00

BTN posts ante 25.00, SB posts ante 25.00, Hero posts ante 25.00, UTG posts ante 25.00, SB posts SB 100.00, Hero posts BB 200.00

Pre Flop: (400.00) Hero has 8 8

fold, BTN calls 200.00, SB calls 100.00, Hero ???

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving is pretty terrible imo. Raising to ~t800 and c-betting is an option, as well as just checking (probably the line I would take).

More reads would help, like have they limp/folded pre-flop before, or how do they play post-flop?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on how likely they are to limp fold. problem is BTN will do a lot of spite-calling with ridiculous hands (QJ, A9, etc.) that still have good equity, killing our equity and his.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they have been limping and then folding if it is raised, then make them pay to play. If they have been calling pretty much no matter what then I would just take a free flop and see what happens

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving is pretty terrible imo. Raising to ~t800 and c-betting is an option, as well as just checking (probably the line I would take).

More reads would help, like have they limp/folded pre-flop before, or how do they play post-flop?
Why is shoving terrible? We are usually way ahead of a button limp and SB complete and they will fold anyways, but by checking we are giving up on a strong hand as no flop without an 8 is gonna be great. Raising to 800, if btn calls sb might call and get a horrible flop again

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is shoving terrible? We are usually way ahead of a button limp and SB complete and they will fold anyways, but by checking we are giving up on a strong hand as no flop without an 8 is gonna be great. Raising to 800, if btn calls sb might call and get a horrible flop again

Because you're risking a ton of equity to gain a little - if you knock out one of the guys, most of his equity is going to go to the other two stacks.

equitybefore.jpg

It's hard to model with two opponents, but let's just assume for a second that the BTN always folds here. So against just the SB then, if he calls and we win, here's our equity:

equitywin.jpg

And if we call and lose:

equitylose.jpg

Also, if we go all-in and they he folds, we gain ~1% equity.

So let's figure out how often we need folds to get this to be profitable (and again this is assuming the BTN always folds). To do that we need to give him a calling range. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a random at the $1.75's is going to be calling roughly 22+, A5s+, A9o+, KTs, QJs, and KJo, which is ~16% of hands. So against that we have ~53% equity. Then if we let x be our fold equity:

0 = x*(0.1 gain in equity) + (1-x)*[.536*(.43-.32) + .47*(.15-.32)]
0 = 0.1x - 0.0216 + 0.0216x
0.0216 = 0.0316x
x = .68 = 68%

So that means he has to fold 68% of the time, which means he has to be limping close to 50% of hands. That looks something like 22+, A2s+, K3s+, Q5s+, J7s+, T7s+, 97s+, 86s+, 76s, 65s, 54s, 43s, 32s, A2o+, K6o+, Q7o+, J8o+, T8o+, 98o, 87o, 76o, 65o, 54o. So that may or may not be reasonable, depending on who the villain is, but keep in mind this is ignoring the guy on the BTN too. We won't be risking as much equity against him, but we also won't gain as much when we knock him out.

Factor in that we're nowhere close to a desperate equity position and it just doesn't seem worth it to take this kind of risk, imo.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well this is definitely villain dependent but I just cant see SB calling enough for shoving not to be profitable.

of course this is the 1.75 so could be wrong about how many folds we get.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like shoving all in pre here.
Its extremely unlikely you don't have the best hand and most of the time both players will fold.
The $700 in the pot is not insignificant, and you should be taking the initiative where you can 4 handed with the big stack.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cj, i get what you're saying with the ICM, but I'm still tending to agree with Xavier here and my own opinion that shoving isn't bad and it's what i'd do here

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's go one step further in CJ's analysis using ICM calculators. I always like to input this information into a table so it's easier to see how patterns develop.

So what are our realistic options here? and likely outcomes?

Realistic options include:-

Shoving Preflop.
Checking the BB and folding Bad flops.
Checking the BB and stabbing good flops.
Raising to roughly 800 and shoving the flop.

Most likely outcomes usually include the Button here. He is the guy i'm most concerned about. The Small blind has a decent stack and is merely completing the SB, so the times he may be trapping are not worth worrying about, and most players should be very risk averse, so i'm not totally concerned with him calling to big action either. So let's focus on the button, who opened this pot with his limp.

So below I've set-up an table showing the various situations and outcomes we are presented with. Having to use some abbreviations which are:-

ShBFLD - Where we shove preflop and they both fold.
CFBW - Check/fold bad flops.
CSFW - Check/stab Flop and win.
CSFL - Check/stab flop and lose.
RSFW - Raise/shove flop and win.
RSFL - Raise/shove flop and lose when called.

So without taking the SB into the equation too much here, we should also recognize that he may just call us here. Which is going to really hurt us to get it in preflop agaisnt him. It's basically risking a lot, to gain a little, so there has to be a better option than just shoving because "We have a good hand" or "we have the chip lead".

Pre-flop and Postflop

Our options are between checking and raising here.

Checking allows us to keep the pot small with a relatively weak hand, considering our stack position (get more into that shortly). Checking allows us to make a stab bet on a lot of flops, hoping to kind of squeeze the button in between the SB, who is likely to fold a lot of flops. We have the added problem though of having the BTN flat call us, in which case we're usually having to dump our hand on the turn, depending on the flop. Perhaps betting smaller on the flop so we can bet the turn wouldn't be a bad option to counter "floaters". The advantage here is we can Stab roughly 400 on the flop and pick up the same amount of chips with far less risk.

Raising allows us to take down the pot preflop, without all of the risk. If the button flat calls a raise of 800, then he has a pot sized bet left, and we can shove many flops that don't hit his limping range. Are there any other options as to raise sizing here? 1000? 1200? At what point are we committed to calling the buttons shove, i feel a raise of around 800 is about right, anything smaller and we get called too much, any larger, we're nearly committed and also waste chips if we have to fold.

What about raise/calling the button? Players tend to do stupid things, perhaps players at this level will limp/shove with worse? I'd say overall that if he limp/shoves, he'd have to have a pretty strong range that pocket 8's doesn't fare too well against, so i think this option is a no go.

So let's make a few assumptions about his limp/calling range. Let's say, from limited OP reads, he's limping around 40% of hands, he's likely not continuing with hands like j9s and such(though possible). He's likely calling with hands he seems are decent, but not worth shoving all in. So lets come up with that range, i'll let you guys come up with that. I'd suspect players would flat call with lots of pairs and weaker aces, KQ's KTs. those types of hands. Hands that want to continue but are not willing to shove all in with. We can probably rule out AA - QQ to some degree as they are likely shoving over with those hands a fair % of the time.

Ok so would be considered a good/bad flop for our hand to shove? I'd say most flops with aces would be bad flops for us to shove on, kings too, but i doubt he has as many combinations of kings in his range than he would have aces.

One issue we have also is that if he calls preflop, how often will he call postflop? This is kind of an unknown, i suspect he's not calling too often unless he hits the board, so that leaves hands like 55-AA and also hands like AJ+ i'd expect to see calls with, even if they miss.

Also, the SB is a limpy type of player, so he may just flat call our raise after the button calls or folds, putting us in interesting decision trees.

If button and SB call, we're now in a 3 way pot, and most likely not going to be able to shove flops anymore. If the button folds and SB calls, we are now in position, but the pot is huge and we can no longer just shove the flop.

If button calls and SB folds, we now get to shove the flop and put the last bet in, i like that.

Our table position
It's one of considerable strength. We are first in chips, and obviously have the most equity going into the hand. We also have the most equity to lose, and the least to gain. Having the big chip stack isn't a licence to try and knock people out, it's not your responsibility. It should be your aim to do whatever is in your best interests. Ours should be to use controlled aggression. Our aim really should be to cash in this SNG, while maintaining our stack for ITM play. At blinds this low, it's going to be rare we can really start bullying players a lot, so the option is to maintain our stack while chipping away with late position raising, or shoving BVB. As the blinds go up, this position could change.

Conclusions?
Well overall I feel that checking and stabbing a lot of flops is going to be the best play for us overall. It's the least risky play, and we pick up the same amount of equity without risking so much.

We can also probably put this all into a mathematical equation, This isn't something i'm really familiar with doing, i prefer to just look over things like this logically and try to judge what the best play is. Hopefully guys like C9 can come in here and critique this, and maybe help with some math equations (I'm sure he gets a hard on any time math is in a tournament thread :D)

Please feel free to correct my logic or any flaws you see. Read over the tables i've provided and read over what it's telling us. I also expect if you disagree with any points made that you provide proof or logic behind what you are saying, we're all here to learn, and i hope to start learning more about poker from this forum by creating posts similar to this in the future and having interesting and informative discussion.

(Instead of basic one liners, if i wanted that, i'd go to 2+2)

Attachments

• Equities.jpg
    Equities.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 29
ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I don't fully understand the table but you're saying check/betting good flops and folding bad flops is the best play? If so, it seems weak/passive to me (despite being 'correct'). Where does shoving rank amongst optimal plays?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The table is our Equity, using ICM. ICM if you don't know is a way of assigning a value to our stack of chips. We can work this out by doing complex and time consuming calculations, or by inputting stack sizes into "ICM calculators"

Chillin411.com has one that i regularly use, but there are tons out there.

I'm not saying it's neccasarily "correct". I'm merely giving my point of view and trying to back it up with actual math, logic and proof of equities. I could be wrong here, but until I am giving some sort of fact, evidence, math or logic behind what you are saying, instead of "It seems weak", Then i will be staying with my conclusion that checking our option and stabbing flops is our best option.

My personal opinion is that shoving ranks last on my list of "optimal plays". We do have to worry a little about the SB calling range, while i think it's probably tight, I also think that one or both players may call with ranges that are far from optimal, making our shove bad for us and them, in terms of equity.

I'd much prefer just raising, as we get to fold to the SB if he's trapping (small % of the time) And we get to fold to the button shove if he's trapping (Usually very strong range, we're crushed by even with decent odds). We also pick up value from hands like QJ and such, that we don't really want to call an all in, but will fold flops if we shove and they miss (they miss most of the time).

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok then, that's your opinion and you've backed it up well. I do understand ICM, and just from the way I play, I like checking the least, then raising just to fold to 3-bets or on awkward flops, then shoving i like most, but can't back it up with the maths so may be a big leak for me

MuscleMan76

MuscleMan76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see what Wiz and CJ are saying, but I don't think that either villians ranges are what they say.
The button limp could be a tarp, but I don't think it's likely here. Why would he let the chip leader see a flop for no extra chips? As for the SB, he's getting 5:1 pot odds so he could be completing with almost ATC.

I think most of the hands that we would get a call from with a shove would have open raised, instead of limping. So, i think that I would get enough folds here to make this profitable. Then again, maybe that's just a huge leak that I expect my opponents to play the way i would.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most of the hands that we would get a call from with a shove would have open raised, instead of limping. So, i think that I would get enough folds here to make this profitable. Then again, maybe that's just a huge leak that I expect my opponents to play the way i would.

This is what you would do - not what they would do. You said so yourself, both villains are limping a ton, so why would they start raising now?

MuscleMan76

MuscleMan76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is what you would do - not what they would do. You said so yourself, both villains are limping a ton, so why would they start raising now?

idkk, limp usually means weak. weak usually means not risking tournement life?

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The button is the one most likely to call there .
The small blind almost never will call imo.

Just completing there SB could have anything down to random rag hands like 95o.
If the BTN limped to trap with QQ or he stupidly calls with K10o then thats just bad luck, but don't think it happens enough to make shoving not profitable.

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, wizzim and CJ totally knocked this one out of the park with all those maths, charts, and calculatory devices.

I certainly agree that shoving is the worst play here. There are many paths we can take, well really 4 of them, and at the bottom of the list is shoving pre. When we are twice the size of 4th place on the bubble, it's IMPERATIVE to wait until that situation changes before doing anything drastic. The reality is you have twice as long to sit and fold than he does...so your odds of making the money are incredibly high. Way higher than the typical 75% you achieve when playing against 3 players of equal talent and equal stacks. Since this is a 1.75 you can assume the players are basically terrible and you should be as good or better than them if you're actively trying to improve your game...combine that with our huge stack advantage and in theory we should make the money 80-85% of the time we are holding this stack. If for some ungodly reason we shove here and get called...best case scenario they have an underpair and have a 20% chance to beat us...worst case they have some bigger cards that refused to fold or possibly a pair above us. All it really takes is them having two overcards and calling us here to absolutely ruin our fun. If we lose this pot, and we WILL sometimes, we have taken away all of our stack advantage. We now cannot wait for anyone to bust before us. We now cannot make any raises preflop without going all in. We now cannot lose all in to a single player on this table without losing the tournament. Most importantly, our ITM rate will have fallen from the roughly 85% range to the 65-70% range because our stack just took a nosedive.

Essentially, if we shove and win this pot...we do not increase our ability to make the money at ALL, but if we shove and do not win this pot we decrease our ability to make the money by a LOT. Since in 9 man sngs where you register with the notion of making the money 37-40% of the time, our goal from the start is to make the money. We're sitting here on the bubble with almost a free pass to the money, just take the free pass and let other people play some poker. Who knows, maybe if we don't shove this preflop and end up checking...the other two stacks might get all in vs one another or maybe we'll flop a set and stack someone...but the point is if we do not allow these situations to develop, they won't.

I'd say about 75% of the time I'm going to check and bet about 1/3 pot on 75% of flops...and the other 25% of the time I'm going to minraise preflop and make the same 1/3 pot bet on the flop(value steal, bwahaha)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, wizzim and CJ totally knocked this one out of the park with all those maths, charts, and calculatory devices.

I certainly agree that shoving is the worst play here. There are many paths we can take, well really 4 of them, and at the bottom of the list is shoving pre. When we are twice the size of 4th place on the bubble, it's IMPERATIVE to wait until that situation changes before doing anything drastic. The reality is you have twice as long to sit and fold than he does...so your odds of making the money are incredibly high. Way higher than the typical 75% you achieve when playing against 3 players of equal talent and equal stacks. Since this is a 1.75 you can assume the players are basically terrible and you should be as good or better than them if you're actively trying to improve your game...combine that with our huge stack advantage and in theory we should make the money 80-85% of the time we are holding this stack. If for some ungodly reason we shove here and get called...best case scenario they have an underpair and have a 20% chance to beat us...worst case they have some bigger cards that refused to fold or possibly a pair above us. All it really takes is them having two overcards and calling us here to absolutely ruin our fun. If we lose this pot, and we WILL sometimes, we have taken away all of our stack advantage. We now cannot wait for anyone to bust before us. We now cannot make any raises preflop without going all in. We now cannot lose all in to a single player on this table without losing the tournament. Most importantly, our ITM rate will have fallen from the roughly 85% range to the 65-70% range because our stack just took a nosedive.

Essentially, if we shove and win this pot...we do not increase our ability to make the money at ALL, but if we shove and do not win this pot we decrease our ability to make the money by a LOT. Since in 9 man sngs where you register with the notion of making the money 37-40% of the time, our goal from the start is to make the money. We're sitting here on the bubble with almost a free pass to the money, just take the free pass and let other people play some poker. Who knows, maybe if we don't shove this preflop and end up checking...the other two stacks might get all in vs one another or maybe we'll flop a set and stack someone...but the point is if we do not allow these situations to develop, they won't.

I'd say about 75% of the time I'm going to check and bet about 1/3 pot on 75% of flops...and the other 25% of the time I'm going to minraise preflop and make the same 1/3 pot bet on the flop(value steal, bwahaha)

Thanks for the input.

I'd love to hear some thoughts about min-raising here.
I never would have/could have thought about min raising and betting the flop. The logic behind it is to bump up the pot a little more, being able to fold postflop to flop action, and getting a touch more value from our hand? Anything else i'm missing there?

Off the bat is seems retarded, but it totally makes sense. We also find out if the button is trapping, and the SB may even fold, or one or both may read it to be strong, who knows.

So it basically achieves the same as raise/shoving, but at a much smaller price?

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Shoving is at the bottom of your list but while not being optimal it would still be profitable right? The reason I ask is that I am not that confident in my post flop play. Now checking and stabbing at good boards seems simple enough but still I dont know. Perhaps I have been trying to cover for poor post flop play with extra aggression pre-flop for far too long. How many coaching sessions do you think it would take to improve my post flop play?

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving is at the bottom of your list but while not being optimal it would still be profitable right? The reason I ask is that I am not that confident in my post flop play. Now checking and stabbing at good boards seems simple enough but still I dont know. Perhaps I have been trying to cover for poor post flop play with extra aggression pre-flop for far too long. How many coaching sessions do you think it would take to improve my post flop play?

Honestly I do not believe it to be a profitable move in any capacity. If it were in a MTT type situation where we still had a way to go before the money or were already in the money and looking for more...that would change things considerably...but knowing that we're in a 9 man tournament, on the bubble, and our entire purpose for existance in them is to make it to the money...it's best to just avoid big pots here. If we happen to have a gigantic lead on our opponents we can begin to abuse them a little more, but in this situation where our stack is so fragile...it's just not worth the risk.

Try to imagine one of those times where you went from a 2x average stack on the bubble to out in a matter of 5 or so hands. Usually those spirals start by shoves like this, no? Self preservation is the most important thing at this time.

As for how many sessions to develop postflop skills...well that totally depends on your ability as a player and just how smart/adaptive your brain is. Some students pick up postflop plays/analysis in just a few sessions while others struggle with it after months of training. If necessary or desired, we could just focus on postflop play entirely to speed up the process.