$1.50 NLHE STT: 87s 2nd hand of 9 player S&G - Am I a Moron?

O

OldMillennial

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Long time lurker, first time poster - thanks for all the advice I've gleaned in the background over the past few months!

Now, down to business:
$1.50 9 player S&G, 2nd hand, Bet Online. I'm brand new to this format and have never seen any of the villains before. Everyone has about 74 - 75bb stacks to open (SB won 1st hand and has 79bb. I'm the big blind with 87s (diamond) and exactly 75bb

UTG: Folds
HJ: Folds
Co: raises 3bb
Btn: calls
SB: Calls
BB: calls

Flop: 2d, Ad, 9c -- pot is 12bb

SB: checks
BB: I raise 7bb
Co: Folds
Btn: Folds
SB: All in (raises 69bb)

Pot is now 95 bb, I have 65bb remaining, giving me 41.667% pot odds (by my calcuations) to win 165bb.

BB: Calls

SB: turns over AJo (spade, club)
BB: turns over 87s (diamonds)

Turn: 2d, Ad, 9c, Qh
River: 2d, Ad, 9c, Qh, 10d

BB wins with A high flush

‐-----‐----------
By my calculations: I had a decent chance to hit the flush and a small chance to hit the straight after the flop: (9/47+9/46)+((8/47)x(8/46))=41.674% to hit straight or flush

By a very marginal 0.007% +EV, I hung by that thread and won, in my view.

Now, to my question:

Following the hand, UTG posted "I hate when morons hit their flush" and 2 other players agreed. I'm new, so I wasn't sure about that sentiment. Had it just been the loser of the hand, I'd write it off as sour grapes. But was my math wrong? Are S&G's just tighter and I should not chase unless I have better EV? Or, are they wrong (or just trying to ruffle the new guys feathers strategically)?

I assumed this would fall under the toss up category and I had decided prior to the game that I was going to call on toss ups early to try to build my stack or cut my losses and try again more quickly. Perhaps, though, this was inherently stupid so I wanted your thoughts.

So, what do you think? Did I play this hand like a moron? Take it easy on me, I've pretty new to the world of competitive poker.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: I'm doing this from memory so a few of the cards may be off - but the outcome and odds remain unchanged (for example, I know had 4 of a suit and 3 in a row, but I cannot remember if it was a Q on the river or if it was a pair of Ks or As that the villain held - I haven't figured out how to do the whole hand history thing yet and am planning on tackling that after I buy PT4).

Last edited:
B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You think mathematically and it shows that you're not a moron.

In my opinion you should check the flop because you want see next card as cheaply as it's possible. You want to lead if you want protect sth like set and flop has a flush draw (f.e. you have eights in this spot) you should play check - call on every streets if pot odds would be profitable.
For me the moron is SB who played all-in with AQo, he didin't think about your range, it is clear. If I were you I would never call here with only flush draw. That way is more than little like "bingo.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its bad etiquette to complain about, how other people play, and its also bad for business, if you are a serious poker player. If people make mistakes, you want them to continue doing so, so dont ever act like a "poker expert" at the tables. All this just to say, that this chat say a lot more about them, than it does about you, so dont let it discourage you. A really good player would just suck it up and move on to the next SnG.

As for the hand I am not loving, that you lead (donk bet) the flop in this multiway spot. I dont think, you get it through very often, so you are generally just getting your chips in behind. A more passive check-call approach is better here. And in some instances, if crazy action develop behind you, its also ok to just fold. In a multiway pot drawing to a 7 high flush can be a bit problematic, because there is some risk, that you end up getting stacked by a better flush or a full house.

As played I would have folded to the jam. While you had 39,8% equity against his exact hand, there are other hands in his range, which have you in worse shape, so you are not getting the right odds to call it off. Against AsJd for instance you only had 33,7%. Against 8s8d only 24,6%.

In top of that you always need to consider ICM in tournaments. You can only win one of the three prices, and for that reason a 3.000 chip stack is not worth twice as much as a 1.500 chip stack. In fact its only worth 83% more in a traditional 9 man SnG with 9 players left. This free tool is pretty handy, and playing around with it for a while will give you a good idea of, how ICM works in a traditional SnG.

https://www.icmpoker.com/icmcalculator

O

OldMillennial

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Brawo and Fundiver - I appreciate the feedback. All lessons are crucial for me as a beginner. That both of you indicate I should not raise that flop is very helpful - Perhaps that's where they were pinpointing my primary mistake. (I take no offense to being called a "moron" btw - I know what I am better than online villains at a random $1.50 S&G - but it did highlight the way I played as something I'd need to learn from).

The reason for the raise was partially out of fear of looking predictable- if I'm only raising when I'm strong that it would be difficult to keep people in hands later when I was, indeed, strong. So, I thought I was going for a semi-bluff in that spot. Perhaps that's newbie logic, but I gather that the larger issue with the bluff raise there is that I'm in a 4-way pot with nothing made yet and a low high card.

Nevertheless, it looks like I made a bad bet and call and got lucky. I'll take the lesson and the luck. Thank you both for the lesson.

Also thanks for the link, fundiver. I'm already having some fun there.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a big difference between having flush draws with overcards, and just a flush draw with no overs.

Preflop, your call is OK. I don't like your donk on the flop, and your call of the check raise all in is really bad. Yes, you got lucky and made the flush, but your decisions were bad along the way.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The reason for the raise was partially out of fear of looking predictable- if I'm only raising when I'm strong that it would be difficult to keep people in hands later when I was, indeed, strong.

Just for the record you were not raising the flop. A raise is, when someone else has already bet, and then you increase the size of that bet. You were the first to put in a bet on the flop, and since you were out of position to the preflop raiser, this is called a donk bet.

You dont absolutely have to have a donk betting strategy on the flop. For many years good players tended to almost never do it, and that is still not a terrible starting point, when you are new to poker. There are more important thing to work on than figuring out, when it can make sense to donk bet the flop.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are too impressionable. The players sitting at the same table with you may well be the same newcomers as you are only very puffed up cheeks. Many chatters at the table do not linger for a long time. As for mathematics, when I play online poker I personally don’t have time to use the calculator and I can’t help you here. But without the simplest calculations, playing also will not work. Luck was clearly on your side. Preflop, you are cheap (2BB) and entered the fight for a 10BB pot. After the flop, the player in the small blind overestimated the strength of his hand and, with a pair of aces, made a check and wanted to build a trap. Raising with a flashdro against three opponents is to some extent a bluff, but I often do it too. On the one hand, chips are thrown to the wind; on the other hand, extra players are forced out and a possible flash is carefully hidden. And here she is the main luck!
SB is clearly out of order ?! Overbet, 76BB in a pot with 19 big blinds. Is it hard to understand his act? Let's get out. After your raise, the pot is 19BB. The villain throws all his chips on the table and makes you go all-in. But since you only have 65BB, he can actually put only 65BB into the pot. Therefore, the pot you are trying to win is 65 + 19 = 84BB and a call will cost you 65BB. Thus, your pot odds are 84/65 = 1.3 to 1 and the odds against getting a flush after the turn and river are 2 to 1. Your call is not justified, but today madam luck is on your side. However, at a distance, such a strategy would be unprofitable.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands