$1.50 NLHE STT: $$1.50 NLHE STT: Bad call?

W

Wickedestjr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nine player sit n go, top three cash. Ten minute levels.

Eight players left. I am second to act and dealt Jd Jh. My stack is 1400ish.

SB posts small blind of 20
BB posts big blind of 40
UTG calls 40
HERO raises to 160
Fold
HJ calls 160
CU folds
BU calls 160
SB folds
BB folds
UTG calls 160

Four to the flop, POT = 700
(4h, 6d, 5h)

UTG checks
HERO bets 240
HJ calls 240
BU is All in
UTG folds
Hero is All in
HJ folds

Note: BU has about 300 more than me, he called three streets with bottom pair in a previous hand so I had the impression that he was overvaluing his hands.

I thought that he could easily have something like A6, 7s or 8s, or a draw enough of the time that it was worth a call. Have I done anything wrong? Was it a bad call?

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ugh tricky spot.....

Firstly I think your raise pre is a little small, once there is a limper you should be raising higher than usual, the best thing I ever read about raising with limpers involved was to raise 5 BB's + 1 BB for each limper so in this case it would be a raise of 240 pre, once flop comes c-bet more cuz betting 240 into a pot of 700 is giving everyone great odds to call for their draws, 500+ would be a nice strong bet into 700 which should deter alot of players from chasing although you'll get those players who will just chase no matter what the bet is......

As far as calling the shove it really depends on what you think of your opponent and from what you said they sound like a bit of a maniac so they've probably hit a piece of this flop, possibly hands like 67, 34, 57, 45, 33..... They could have any 2 hearts in their hand with a 7/8 for a straight + flush draw, a chance they've flopped a set or 77-TT thinking their over pair is good so there's a lot you're beating there at the same time as a lot you're flipping with but at this level I'd probably call given the info on the player

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jacks or similar over pair are not worth risking your stack on that board and against 3 opponents.

Frankly I would not even bother putting in a continuation bet in this spot because any better hand or a straight draw or flush draw can put in a raise and then we would be in a gross spot guessing. Just give up on that wet board against 3 villains. We just have a pair. :(

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not a tricky spot in anyway, this is a clear call wp op :)

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
calling you get about 3:1 pot odds. Button certainly has something like
88 99 TT
top pair + flush draw
gut shot + flush draw
2 pair
st8

In a double up game I would fold but in a normal sit&go it is an easy call as your oppnent will shove with any of the hands shown above.

W

Wickedestjr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the responses!

In the future, I think I will try betting larger with big pairs pre flop. The table had been playing pretty tight/legitimate, but now that I think about it more, getting three callers with Jacks out of position is a pretty gross spot for a hand that had so much potential.

The result;
BU shows 5s 4s (75%)
HERO shows Jd Jh (25%)
Dealing Turn (6h)
Dealing River (Ad)

I was behind, but got lucky and won with a higher two pair.

Still not sure what I’d do post flop, if presented with this scenario again. It seems very close. I have T-7s crushed, flipping against the combos, and crushed against two pair or sets, but the only real game over hand is 78. I’d probably still end up calling and expect to win about half the time. But next time hopefully I can make a bigger pre flop raise and scare 54s out of the hand.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the idea of a raise is for value right?

so why would you want to make people fold by raising larger?

if he gets it in with only TP+ and pair + draw type hands and also straight value hands the equity is around 55% in favour of the JJ, however if he is also bad enough to get it in with middle pair no draw hands, the equity of our hand will go up to like 65-70%, so it's a spot where we are very rarely behind and since we have already invested chips and with the pot odds in play, it makes this a pretty easy call off.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played it fine and I like your preflop raise size.

We're never happy to call off on this flop but there are so many hands he can be jamming with. The presence of draws make our calling easier vs a board of like 26T rainbow where the likelihood of draws goes down so the chance we're already beat goes way up.

In this spot I'm calling off unhappily against many opponents. You add in he fact that he overvalues hands and it's an easier call, though still not thrilled.