$1.40 NLHE Bounty: 88 utg facing raise with two callers.

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.40 NL HE Bounty: 88 utg facing raise with two callers.

I suppose open limping in this case was not a good idea but I do try to vary things some times just to keep regular players a bit off my range. Plus oop all I really want to do is take a cheap look and hit a set and maybe
stack someone off.
All three callers were loose and had showed some aggresion with any two paint. I was unable to give them much credit for genuinely good play.

vpip was about 36-42 for all three.

Wondering what others would do. oop I suppose the correct play is to fold?

poker stars $1.00+$0.25+$0.15 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25/t50 Blinds - 8 players - View hand 909004
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

CO: t2695 53.90 BBs
BTN: t5830 116.60 BBs
SB: t2265 45.30 BBs
BB: t3715 74.30 BBs
Hero (UTG): t3265 65.30 BBs
UTG+1: t6217 124.34 BBs
MP1: t2733 54.66 BBs
MP2: t2725 54.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t75) Hero is UTG with 8 8
Hero calls t50, UTG+1 raises to t350, 3 folds, BTN calls t350, 1 fold, BB calls t300,

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to struggle with these hands, but I know now it's best to just open fold it.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question. You have pot odds to call and you have fold equity. But, there is also a good reason to fold here as well. Chances are you are behind. Personally, I'd call and if I don't hit, I'd check/fold.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your getting roughly 4:1 on a call pre. But your OOP for the rest of the hand, and your likely to miss your set, however i think we just have the pot odds to call here, and the implied odds are pretty decent too, But i'm not overly sure of that though. And we're obviously resorting to hitting out set on the flop, so that fact makes me lean toward a fold. The real mistake here is not raising preflop, i'm not a huge fan of limping here, a raise to 2.5-3x is fine i think.

Anyways, i think we can call here, but i could be wrong on that one.

Oh and you shouldnt get too carried away with trying to disguise your range, it's kind of a waste of time at this level, plus your playing guys your not likely to see a huge amount of time (im assuming). And also most of these guys arn't thinking about ranges at all, i'd be suprised if some of them knew how to tie a shoelace to be honest.

Last edited:
Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally I am with AF on this one. I like open folding this pre. I hate limping and raising With 7 people left to act really no way we can call a 3 bet. As played I probably lean toward a fold here also. We have implied odds to call but its close I think and we are oop playing a big pot early in the tourney with a mediocre hand.

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh and you shouldnt get too carried away with trying to disguise your range, it's kind of a waste of time at this level, plus your playing guys your not likely to see a huge amount of time (im assuming). And also most of these guys arn't thinking about ranges at all, i'd be suprised if some of them knew how to tie a shoelace to be honest.

I actually run into the same players many times. I can even name a number of them off the top of my head. Your likely right though that at this level they are not probably spending anytime analyzing my play. Really it's just me wanting to hit a monster cuz at this level you get paid off easy but not wanting to risk a large % of my stack.

I've found early on in these tournaments that weaker players will re-raise with any two paint so the 2.5 or 3 bb raise while still my standard doesn't get much respect even utg.

I limp with AA KK a lot utg just for this reason. Wait for the raise and then I shove... often get called.

I'll show results later.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually run into the same players many times. I can even name a number of them off the top of my head. Your likely right though that at this level they are not probably spending anytime analyzing my play. Really it's just me wanting to hit a monster cuz at this level you get paid off easy but not wanting to risk a large % of my stack.

I've found early on in these tournaments that weaker players will re-raise with any two paint so the 2.5 or 3 bb raise while still my standard doesn't get much respect even utg.

I limp with AA KK a lot utg just for this reason. Wait for the raise and then I shove... often get called.

I'll show results later.
Hmmm ok. Well i'm going to have to take your word for that, as i havent played any of these things for a long time. But i still think we can open the 8's here, it's strong enough. I feel we are playing way too tight if we open fold 8's here, thats coming from a SNG player too :D. But hey, if we're at a table full of 3betting idiots, then perhaps folding is the best option, though if that's the case, then limping can't be terrible, right?

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well that's the way I saw it. I'm only in my second month of returning to sng's these knockout ones are extra loose so I'm careful with smaller pairs and extra aggressive with big flops. I haven't had much time spent on particular analyzing. I want to get a few hundred games in the results before I consider the sample size large enough. Mainly good nitty poker seems to work here.

Here is what I did, having read recently about being aggressive with my pocket pairs.
Poker Stars $1.00+$0.25+$0.15 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25/t50 Blinds - 8 players - View hand 909004
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

CO: t2695 53.90 BBs
BTN: t5830 116.60 BBs
SB: t2265 45.30 BBs
BB: t3715 74.30 BBs
Hero (UTG): t3265 65.30 BBs
UTG+1: t6217 124.34 BBs
MP1: t2733 54.66 BBs
MP2: t2725 54.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t75) Hero is UTG with 8 :diamond: 8 :heart:
Hero calls t50, UTG+1 raises to t350, 3 folds, BTN calls t350, 1 fold, BB calls t300, Hero raises to t3265 all in, 3 folds

No doubt entirely the wrong thing to do but in the end a confusing response. I put myself in a 50/50 at best. or 80/20 at worst. Won't be doing that again anytime soon probably.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don´t like to call a 7x raise utg with 3 people already there, you will hit your set 1 in 7, means 6 times will miss and trow 7bb (x6=42bb) and even when hit your set you still could be beat by str8 or flush wich is comun with so many players there, also come the trouble of get hook after flop, example not hit your set but only low cards there, if was less players and 3x raise i could call, but i prefeer to fold and lose 1bb to get in potential trouble this early.

I mostly fold this.

Agree with that a 2.5x, 3x don´t work most of the times in a $1buyin game, at least at this stage, just look the hand, 7x raise and still get 3 callers, raising utg there just will mean trow more chips with same callers or get 3bet, if no hit in flop most of the times board will trow higher cards so is hard to play out of position rest of the hand versus 3 others, if limp and get raised then hand was not for you and only lose 1bb, but you can predict this before enter.

If you see the table decently tight then agree to raise pre in this spot, but when see 2 or more with Vpip 36-42 you know they want to play most hands, probably will depend if they are loose/agresive or loose/passive, if see that have Vpip 36-42 but also PFR 0-5 then i think is ok to limp, if you see PFR10-20 i prefeer to fold pre.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you're turning your hand into a big bluff and your only hope is that he will fold TT-QQ here as you're representing AA.