$1.20 sng KK flop decision

S

stealthy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is my check on the flop wrong? What would you do?

pokerstars Game #9944847487: Tournament #50442930, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2007/05/16 - 15:03:21 (ET)
Table '50442930 1' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 2: ProperReds (1430 in chips)
Seat 3: stealthchimp (1710 in chips)
Seat 4: vhs2007 (2950 in chips)
Seat 5: Yxin (1760 in chips)
Seat 6: astrahan (1360 in chips)
Seat 7: timtimmy666 (1820 in chips)
Seat 8: Funqhaus (1470 in chips)
Seat 9: drjackpot8 (1000 in chips)
ProperReds: posts small blind 15
stealthchimp: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to stealthchimp [Ks Kc]
vhs2007: calls 30
Yxin: raises 60 to 90
astrahan: folds
timtimmy666: calls 90
Funqhaus: folds
drjackpot8: folds
ProperReds: folds
stealthchimp: raises 210 to 300
vhs2007: folds
Yxin: calls 210
timtimmy666: calls 210
*** FLOP *** [6s Jd Qc]
stealthchimp: checks
Yxin: bets 450
timtimmy666: raises 1070 to 1520 and is all-in
stealthchimp: ???

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your reasoning behind checking the flop?

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is my check on the flop wrong?

I wouldn't have checked this into an 855 pot with an overpair to the board and 3-way pot, a half pot bet or maybe more is pretty standard here.

What would you do?

I'd call this and take my chances. The way timtimmy played this he could easily have AQ or a drawing hand, because when he called your reraise there was 645 in the pot already, so he had position and was getting 3 to 1 odds, not a tough call for him here and with no raising from him at any point I find it hard to believe he had QQ or JJ. Could be QJ, but I think you have him, worth the risk anyway. Yxin range is a bit more worrysome and he's probably more dangerous than timtimmy if he calls, but I still can't fold this.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Save himself 450 when he folds?:D

This is one of the hardest decisions in poker. All you have right now is one pair, even if it is an overpair. The reraise can be anything from a set of JJ or QQ to a power play by JQ or an up/down straight draw.You still have to worry about the initial better that is yet to act. I hate laying down overpairs but it sure looks like they are beat with a bet and a reraise.

I would say a call here is not much better than a coin flip. You call and sure enough someone has JJ or QQ. You fold and sure enough you will have the best hand. I would not blame you for the call or the fold.

Tournaments are all about timing and when to make moves. I am not sure if this is one of those times.

S

stealthy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

To be honest I'm not too sure! I've had a harsh few weeks and my confidence is low. I also had a feeling someone had JJ.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well without trying to sound harsh, checking is terrible. Lead for ~2/3 the pot, and see what your opponents do. As played, we are very much in the dark with respect to what the hell our opponents are holding. Could be draws, could be a set or QJ, could be top pair - who knows. Considering stack sizes, I don't think we could fold if they both push anyways, but leading gives you much more info regardless.

As played, I probably still call. I wouldn't doubt people at this level pulling moves with AJ or other random hands here.

tiltboy

tiltboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He could have anything really. As said before do not like the check particularly on a drawing flop J-Q.

I think he has top pair top kicker. I cannot understand why he would be superaggresive on a rainbow flop otherwise. He basically wants you out the hand if he had a set i would expect a minimal raise or a flat call same with top two pair.

Your check has encouraged him to play this aggressively as he now doubts you will get involved in the hand.

Its Yxin im worried about you asked him no questions on the flop now if you call he may actually have the dangerous hand.

I Fold (in this situation, i would not have played the hand like this)

S

stealthy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in all it was very weak play by me but saved me money. I shall learn and improve.
Here's how it played out :-

stealthchimp: folds
Yxin: calls 1010 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [6s Jd Qc] 7♣
*** RIVER *** [6s Jd Qc 7c] [Td]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Yxin: shows [Qs Js] (two pair, Queens and Jacks)
timtimmy666: shows [As Jh] (a pair of Jacks)
Yxin collected 3865 from pot

I finished 2nd to Yxin in the end.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well without trying to sound harsh, checking is terrible. Lead for ~2/3 the pot, and see what your opponents do. As played, we are very much in the dark with respect to what the hell our opponents are holding. Could be draws, could be a set or QJ, could be top pair - who knows. Considering stack sizes, I don't think we could fold if they both push anyways, but leading gives you much more info regardless.

Not a WA/WB situation, Chuck? That would have been my reason for checking the flop, then folding.