$1.20 NLHE STT: TPFD-fold/call

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the hands ive seen villain play, he usually does not bluff with air so he definitely has a hand here. My initial read after he limped PF was a weak ace or pp. I don't think his raise on the flop is ever a bluff, possibly a semi-bluff but doubtful. Sticking to my original read i have to put him on a set here. But im getting ok odds to spike a heart. So the turn comes and i don't spike a heart but an ace instead. Now he shoves into me on the ace. The board is pretty wet so its likely to be a protection shove. Now do i fold here or call. I don't want to go into the bubble as the short stack so i feel i need to take risks now to build my stack before the bubble, but is this a spot to be doing so. Ive already put in about half my stack. And if i stick by my read here i know ill need a heart to win the hand which im only about 18% to do so.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t4760)
UTG (t3060)
Hero (MP) (t1770)
Button (t1875)
SB (t2035)

Hero's M: 23.60

Preflop: Hero is MP with
8h.gif
ah.gif

UTG calls t50, Hero bets t150, 2 folds, BB calls t100, UTG calls t100

Flop: (t475)
6d.gif
jh.gif
kh.gif
(3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets t250, 1 fold, UTG raises to t600, Hero calls t350

Turn: (t1675)
as.gif
(2 players)
UTG bets t2310 (All-In), Hero ?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couple of decisions to look at here:

1) not digging the raise pre. With a limper already in the pot, we're not likely to take down the pot pre, and I wouldn't really consider your raise for value either. So I think it's a muck.

2) now on the flop, we c-bet and get check/raised. I'm tempted to say we could just check it back here, but I think that's being results oriented. The bet is probably good.

3) So, after we get check/raised, he's probably not folding often, if ever, if we were to shove. However, against his range of sets, two pair, and one pairs, we have about 40% win odds, and it would go up if we add in flush draws too, which we're crushing. So I like a push I think.

4) on the turn he shoves, we have maybe half a pot-sized bet left? So when he shoves we're actually getting about 3:1 on a call, and our equity is a ton better than that once we spike the ace, it's like 60%+. Mandatory call I'd say.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So folding pre was my best move. What if utg folds is a raise better in that spot or still a fold. I probably got myself in a hairy situation playing it the way I choose.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the UTG folds then we can open it. But after he limps, he no longer has a random hand. He most likely has a weak hand, but 150 is not enough to isolate this guy, and you will likely get called by the bigger stacked players behind you. So basically your creating a large pot with a marginal hand, and since we whiff the flop a lot of the time, we're going to get floated a lot, and then we have no idea what to do on the turn. Best to just muck it pre-flop

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome stuff, thanks dudes. Might of misplayed the hand but my read was right the whole time.. turns out he did have a set.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think at a full table I'd definitely agree, let go of A8s with a limper. 5 handed I think it might be playable, though I'd probably raise more with the limper, probably 200 or so. Nice flop for a semi-bluff c-bet, but I'd bet a little more here too, maybe 350-400 (though obviously that wouldn't have worked with him holding a set). On the turn, you're getting more than 2.6 to 1 odds to call, so you only need about 27% equity (not counting the ICM effect, so you probably need a little more). If you're sure he has a set, you're not getting the right odds and you have to fold. I don't think you can be sure of that though. If he has KJ, for example, you actually have 36% equity, since any 8,6 or A will give you a better 2 pair. At a $1 tourney he could also be spaz-shoving with something like KQ, when an overcard comes to what was top pair for him. Overall I think there are enough options besides the set to make it a call.

ljove

ljove

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don like your preflop play.You could limp preflop.If you wanna bet,bet stronger.This is fold on the turn or chasing for flush

Folding in Poker