$1.20 NLHE STT: Top 2 pair facing questionable minraise

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was early in the SNG so i have no reads on the player. He was playing 2 sng's which means very little except that he might be a little tighter. Im not really sure what to do when this guy min raises a blank turn. It seems like something most villains would do with a Q here, or very rarely 55. I think if he flopped the true monster KQ he would of roped me in to the river. I guess its also possible for villain to have a weaker K but without any reads its hard to say.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (UTG+1) (t1650)
MP1 (t1410)
MP2 (t1460)
CO (t1460)
Button (t3040)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)

Hero's M: 55.00

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with
ac.gif
kh.gif

1 fold, Hero bets t60, MP1 calls t60, MP2 calls t60, 4 folds

Flop: (t210)
qd.gif
qc.gif
kc.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets t160, 1 fold, MP2 calls t160

Turn: (t530)
5h.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t300, MP2 raises to t600, Hero ?

Total pot: t1130

I think i should have raised more preflop since ill be out of position the whole hand, maybe to 80 or 100. Im getting decent odds to make the call, the only problem is by making this call its really costing me little over 900 since hes going to ship it on the river more times then not. Which is why i think this is a fold.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think your read was right and he could easily have a Q in this spot, and since it is a $1 SNG, Q10 or QJ are likely in the calling range p/f here. A weaker King is also a possibility, and he is testing you thinking you might have A10 or AJ and just fired a standard c-bet. Or that he might hav thought your turn bet was a tad hesitant and he thinks he can take it away from you.

As far as your PFR here, 60 is about right, as at this level anyone who s going to call 3x would probably call 4x as well.

So in the end I agree with you that this should be a fold.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh thats reassuring to hear i did something right in midst of this downswing. haha.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push all in, he probably have a few queens in their range, but they also have a lot of worse kings, busted draws trying to semi bluff etc.. Preflop raise is fine, if they are willing to call 60, then they are certainly willing to call 80-100, so all you're acheiveing is bloating the pot.

But yeah, after we put a considerable chunk of our stack in the middle we can't just fold to this minraise. Sometimes you need to think ahead and ask yourself why am i betting this amount on the turn, the answer should have been to set up a river shove.

The guy min raises which looks kind of strong, but at these stakes it means nothing. Most of the time they will min raise because they have no idea what else to do, they just hit the raise button and it happens to double you're bet. Anyways, sure there are a few queens in their range here, but also a hell of a lot of weirdly played hands, i'd much rather shove in this spot and get knocked out with a queen than fold in a spot where we are ahead of their range a lot of the time.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push all in, he probably have a few queens in their range, but they also have a lot of worse kings, busted draws trying to semi bluff etc.. Preflop raise is fine, if they are willing to call 60, then they are certainly willing to call 80-100, so all you're acheiveing is bloating the pot.

But yeah, after we put a considerable chunk of our stack in the middle we can't just fold to this minraise. Sometimes you need to think ahead and ask yourself why am i betting this amount on the turn, the answer should have been to set up a river shove.

The guy min raises which looks kind of strong, but at these stakes it means nothing. Most of the time they will min raise because they have no idea what else to do, they just hit the raise button and it happens to double you're bet. Anyways, sure there are a few queens in their range here, but also a hell of a lot of weirdly played hands, i'd much rather shove in this spot and get knocked out with a queen than fold in a spot where we are ahead of their range a lot of the time.

You got a very good point. I probably fold way to much at these limits. But why is he calling the flop then min raising the turn, this is what thew me off. if he minraised the flop i was probably shoving, but these calls then raise blank turns usually indicates strength from these players on flops like this. I just couldn't make any sense of this hand. But i still don't mind the idea of shoving.

I know this has no merit to how i should play the hand but thought id bring it up...after the hand i asked if he had the Q, his response was "if you wanted to know, you should have called" lol.