$1.20 NLHE MTT: 6 handed final table, facing 3 bet shove with 88

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 20/19/4.5

So, the effectvie stacks are pretty short, I'm 3rd of 6 at the 9 man final table but only 10 BBs. Now, looking back, I feel like I should have shoved pre, but as played what do you do to the 3-bet shove to a fairly TAG big stack? Call or Fold?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 600/1200 Blinds 75 Ante (6 handed) - PokerStars Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

BB (t6810)
UTG (t8332)
Hero (MP) (t12202)
CO (t22523)
Button (t11743)
SB (t5890)

Hero's M: 5.42

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8
diamond.gif
, 8
spade.gif

1 fold, Hero bets t2400, CO raises to t22448 (All-In), 3 folds,

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 20/19/4.5

So, the effectvie stacks are pretty short, I'm 3rd of 6 at the 9 man final table but only 10 BBs. Now, looking back, I feel like I should have shoved pre, but as played what do you do to the 3-bet shove to a fairly TAG big stack? Call or Fold?

Looks like you have already answered your question.

To answer your second question, don't raise unless you have a plan. Think ahead instead of mashing buttons. And with the Ante you are effectively shorter than 10BB's.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I know M is around 6. When I went over the hand on HEM, I realised how short I was, before that I was thinking, hmm I'm 3rd in chips, i'm doing ok.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pretty easy open shove imo, with 8bb adjusted raise/folding becomes pretty disastrous. As played you have to call ~t10,000 to win ~t15,000 I think? So that's 1.5:1 odds, so you need ~40% equity to call. So what's his range then? That part depends obviously - against an 8% 3-bet range (which is pretty reasonable for this point in the tourney imo, even if villain has been pretty TAG up to this point), you have 44% equity, so I think you have to call.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i hit the final table and when i have at least 10 bb or less there's no raise like an option....there just all in or fold...no guts no glory,so all in here :)

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you already know now but you should have shoved preflop or folded at your stage in the game. If everyone is really aggressive in the table, you could try to wait it out given that with at least half the table in greater danger than you, you could try to move up the money by letting everyone else knock each other out.

Since you were shoved against by a person you describe as a TAG, you are most likely up against an Ace with a high kicker at best or a higher pocket pair if unlucky (although 77 may not be impossible). Given that if you are up against an ace with a high kicker you would be at a coinflip, I would leave the decision to you on whether to call or fold but given that the CO who is big stack made the shove and SB, BB, and UTG are in worse position than you with BB and UTG having to pay the blinds next, I would fold and wait for another chance.

Ballack

Ballack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i hit the final table i usually end in 5th place. Did it five times in a row, always finishing in 5th place out of 2000 players cause im short stacked....

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands