$1.20 NLHE: was i playing too nitty with top pair top kicker?

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.20 NL HE: was i playing too nitty with top pair top kicker?

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 50/24/1.5

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t290)
UTG (t4340)
Hero (MP) (t3070)
Button (t1845)
SB (t2850)

Hero's M: 40.93

Preflop: Hero is MP with J
diamond.gif
, A
diamond.gif

1 fold, Hero bets t150, 1 fold, SB calls t125, 1 fold

Flop: (t350) J
club.gif
, 6
heart.gif
, 9
spade.gif
(2 players)
SB bets t150, Hero raises to t450, SB raises to t750, Hero raises to t1150, SB calls t400

Turn: (t2650) K
spade.gif
(2 players)
SB bets t1550 (All-In), Hero ???

Total pot: t2650

sorry, I know i was probably min raising somewhere in there but I was just really trying to find some kind of information on what he could have. Btw, his stats are only over 38 hands so its definitely not solid

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against this guy im calling. He is a super fish and we have good pot odds.
Dont really like the flop min 4bet, i just get in there vs him but might be ok if u have a read that he spazzes when u cib.

Also for the love of good stop paying 20% rake. I realize your probably playing with good BRM but no matter how bad the 1s are 20% rake is gonna be hard to beat for any one,if u can either move up to the next level where they change the rake to 10% or move to turbos because they have lower rake.
JMO

rcrocketman

rcrocketman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure I raise the flop when he donkbets out on it (but this is a $1 sng so kinda hard to say).
Once I do raise his bet.. his min reraise is pretty odd... not sure what I'd do here?? (what hand would do that in this spot that you're ahead of??? 99 ?)

SystEmsuX

SystEmsuX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against this guy im calling. He is a super fish and we have good pot odds.
Dont really like the flop min 4bet, i just get in there vs him but might be ok if u have a read that he spazzes when u cib.

Also for the love of good stop paying 20% rake. I realize your probably playing with good BRM but no matter how bad the 1s are 20% rake is gonna be hard to beat for any one,if u can either move up to the next level where they change the rake to 10% or move to turbos because they have lower rake.
JMO
That sums it up.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[/quote]sorry, I know i was probably min raising somewhere in there but I was just really trying to find some kind of information on what he could have.[/quote]

Just wondering if this was a STT or MTT. not really sure... MTT get your money in, STT play a little more conservative.

ok so you were trying to find out on the flop if your hand was good with the raise to 450, what info do you think you would achieve by 4betting him min on the flop, right there your committed to calling the turn, so easy call i think...

if this was a STT i would have raised preflop to 125. flat called the flop, and then re asses the turn. the lead out bet looks kinda weak, you should be well ahead of his range, id be trying to keep the pot kinda small, let him bluff or bet with a weaker hand,

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and yeh, pretty much impossible to make money on the 1.20 stt, like he said rake is way too high, youd be better off mutiltabling in the 25 c 45 player with no rake, or somehting better than 20% anyways

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was an 18 player mtt

H

hrt25g

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so please forgive my innocence here; I am new to the forum and trying to get my head around the conversations. I guess the first thing I want to know is what happened? Did you fold? If you did I think you were right to do so.

Regardless of this guy's ability and whether he is a donkey (or whether I am), you are all putting him on less than 66 in the hole? If he is calling the preflop raise with QT then its unlikely he is going into a raising war on the flop with an open-ender (but not impossible if he really is a fish and figures all he needs to do is hit a card - oh look all-in when the K came down...) but its certainly well within his range to be holding 99 or 66.

What makes his bet out on the flop a 'donkbet'? Is it because he just called pre-flop and then bet out when if he had hit a set he could check-raise knowing the pre-flop raiser is likely to c-bet? Or is it just an unsophisticated play for another reason that I am missing?

Seeing that he has called a pre-flop raise, bet, re-raised, called a further raise and shoved all-in, what exactly is it that is causing everyone to put him on air?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so please forgive my innocence here; I am new to the forum and trying to get my head around the conversations. I guess the first thing I want to know is what happened? Did you fold? If you did I think you were right to do so.

Regardless of this guy's ability and whether he is a donkey (or whether I am), you are all putting him on less than 66 in the hole? If he is calling the preflop raise with QT then its unlikely he is going into a raising war on the flop with an open-ender (but not impossible if he really is a fish and figures all he needs to do is hit a card - oh look all-in when the K came down...) but its certainly well within his range to be holding 99 or 66.

What makes his bet out on the flop a 'donkbet'? Is it because he just called pre-flop and then bet out when if he had hit a set he could check-raise knowing the pre-flop raiser is likely to c-bet? Or is it just an unsophisticated play for another reason that I am missing?

Seeing that he has called a pre-flop raise, bet, re-raised, called a further raise and shoved all-in, what exactly is it that is causing everyone to put him on air?
Hi HRT and welcome to CC.

These numbers are from PT3 or HEM and there also the reason we know the villain is a fish.
The 50 stand for hands played so in this case he is playing 50% of hands, he raising 24% of hands and his postflop aggresion factor is 1.5.

Its usualy called a donkbet when some one bets into the original raiser, has nothing to do with the player in question or saying its a bad thing its just a name for a certain action, like c-betting is called c-betting ;)

bolda3

bolda3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The raise on the flop isn't terrible but a case could be made for flat calling here. Since its a $1 sng any hands are possible, I guess I call is justified as stated by some comments but you could easily be behind to any Kx.

S

shanks99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that your 3bet on the flop was probably the worst play.

Given that SB has just donk bet and then min raised you, you have to decide whether to shove or fold.

I probably would have shoved here to make him decide what to do. If he has Jx, then you have him dominated.

If he was set mining and hit, then you're just SOL (shit outta luck).

Given his stats it wouldn't really surprise me if he had KJ, donk bet the flop, and then hit his kicker after all of the flop action.

And although having the stats on him is valuable info, it should only be 1 piece of info that you use to make a decision. Just because he's 50/24/1.5 over 38 hands doesn't make me want to use this as the sole decision making criteria. Especially since you're only at level 3. If you had 100 hands at level 6 or so, then I would start to trust the HUD stats more.

My 2 cents. Please don't ask for a rebate.

H

hrt25g

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi HRT and welcome to CC.

These numbers are from PT3 or HEM and there also the reason we know the villain is a fish.
The 50 stand for hands played so in this case he is playing 50% of hands, he raising 24% of hands and his postflop aggresion factor is 1.5.

Its usualy called a donkbet when some one bets into the original raiser, has nothing to do with the player in question or saying its a bad thing its just a name for a certain action, like c-betting is called c-betting ;)

Many thanks Sindri - I figured I was missing something. Those numbers certainly provide some context to the decision. I will also be able to take (slightly) less offence if anyone shouts 'donk' at me across the table! I will at least know why!