$1+.10 PLHE MTT, AA in limp pot

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only 9th hand so no significant reads on villain, I've been in majority of pots so have projected fairly LAG image so far I guess. Have been involved in one pot HU with villain where attempted resteal (by me) got called and a c-bet on rag flop took it down so perhaps vil does not give me full credit for a hand here in similar situation.

At the time I remember consciously playing the hand weirdly/differently than I normally would - can we put villain on a range and if so is there a way to maximise value in playing it differently?

pokerstars Game #13580512210: Tournament #68053375, $1.00+$0.10 Hold'em Pot Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2007/12/01 - 10:19:56 (ET)
Table '68053375 12' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: ekkel23 (1320 in chips)
Seat 2: Silent Rog (1550 in chips)
Seat 3: eri74 (1480 in chips)
Seat 4: xps72silver (1670 in chips)
Seat 5: jaketrevvor (1840 in chips)
Seat 6: QarateAss (1140 in chips)
jaketrevvor: posts small blind 10
QarateAss: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jaketrevvor [As Ad]
ekkel23: folds
Silent Rog: calls 20
eri74: calls 20
xps72silver: calls 20
jaketrevvor: raises 100 to 120
QarateAss: folds
Silent Rog: folds
eri74: folds
xps72silver: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [6s 7c 6h]
jaketrevvor: checks
xps72silver: checks
*** TURN *** [6s 7c 6h] [8h]
jaketrevvor: bets 120
xps72silver: calls 120
*** RIVER *** [6s 7c 6h 8h] [Js]
jaketrevvor: bets 240
xps72silver: folds
jaketrevvor collected 540 from pot

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a LAG image, why didn't you bet the flop?

I honestly don't really like the way this is played, unless you were willing to lay down the hand easily should runner runner hearts have appeared on the river. You were giving him just too good odds to call if he was on a draw, and the board wasn't exactly safe.

As for putting your opponent on a hand range, one hand is far from enough information, you need to watch your opponent carefully, find out what % of hands he plays and what hands he tends to show down.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you were expecting more. AA (obviously) doesn't get a stack every time - I'd be happy with the pot that you won. fwiw in my ~28k hands that I've played at 25nl and 50nl, I've won an average of about 4BB per hand, and I've been running pretty good.

Another thing to note is that this is a $1 tourney and that you shouldn't bank too much on reads. Players generally have their heads up their asses and don't pay too much attention. Even if they were paying attention, why would you assume this?

Only 9th hand so no significant reads on villain...Have been involved in one pot HU with villain where attempted resteal (by me) got called and a c-bet on rag flop took it down so perhaps vil does not give me full credit for a hand here in similar situation.

Wouldn't you think that if he was paying attention, he'd notice that this time you didn't c-bet?

Anyways, on the hand as a whole, just c-bet the flop, turn, and reevaluate on the river. As played it was fine but you lose a lot of value from TT, A7 and 89-type hands that might be prepared to stack the flop.

What was the purpose of the flop check anyways?

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the time I remember consciously playing the hand weirdly/differently than I normally would

At the time I defo had a reason, probs something about being wa/wb and not wanting to go broke/pot control while searching around for a way to get value from KQ typa crap :eek: - but yes, ultimately leading would have been much better I agree. How much do I lead for and what's our line after vil calls?

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played it was fine but you lose a lot of value from TT, A7 and 89-type hands that might be prepared to stack the flop.

Do these call such a raise pf? Well I guess in $1 tourns anything's possible :eek:

What was the purpose of the flop check anyways?

At the time that I posted this (actually a month ago) I definately had a reason. I'm sure of it.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well technically you could call this a wa/wb spot, but there are some differences since there are draws out there.

The main thing is that players at this level are bad enough to stack a LOT more worse hands on this flop than they will with better hands, and you can happily get your whole stack in on that flop, or maybe even the turn.

There's no need to keep the pot small by playing it wa/wb here. As played you very well might have gotten more value from 22 or some other weird hand that normally wouldn't have played had you bet the flop, but the value you gained from that is dwarfed by the value you lost from a lot of other hands by not betting the flop.
At the time that I posted this (actually a month ago) I definately had a reason. I'm sure of it.
edit: oops :/ Didn't realize this was that old.
Do these call such a raise pf? Well I guess in $1 tourns anything's possible
redface.gif

Most definitely :) I've seen play just as bad up at the $16s.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to take advantage of what you called your lag image. So you need to bet about 200 on flop and be willing to shove if needs be on the flop since only realistic had that beats you is pock 7's, since you cant put him on quads and its very unlikely he has a 6. Therefore im betting this flop for about 200.

On the turn im betting pot to make straight and flush draws pay to play. Then on river id put in another value bet. Your play seems fine except for the non c bet