$1.10 NLHE MTT Rebuy: 77 3bet small by a very tight player/passive player

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand I don't know what I mean is what should've I done preflop with it..Should I have just over bet jammed? Since he/she was also deep (I really didn't think this would've been the best line to take with this hand)...

Yet again I would've been OOP post flop so without a set I really didn't know exactly how to approach my post flop plan (If that makes sense)...For me it was either hit hard and donk bet or miss and check/fold...

But both these options are (I don't like it TBH)...But are they really gonna 3 bet worse (When this player hasn't done something like this for the entire hour I was at the table with them)....

Also another note while I had them cover'd I really didn't feel jamming half my stack in there was the best approach pre against this player TBH

So what do you do when you find yourself in a similar state

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 12500/25000 Blinds 2500 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t287969)
UTG (t237009)
Hero (UTG+1) (t1368062)
MP1 (t654256)
MP2 (t390980)
MP3 (t397850)
CO (t408874)
Button (t189992)
SB (t332679)

Hero's M: 22.80

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7
club.gif
, 7
spade.gif

UTG calls t25000, Hero bets t60000, MP1 raises to t140000, 7 folds, Hero calls t80000

Flop: (t365000) 6
heart.gif
, 10
club.gif
, 2
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks

Turn: (t365000) 5
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks

River: (t365000) K
heart.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks

Total pot: t365000

Results:
Hero had 7
club.gif
, 7
spade.gif
(one pair, sevens).
MP1 mucked Q
spade.gif
, A
heart.gif
(high card, Ace).
Outcome: Hero won t365000

Last edited:
S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me preface by saying this is what I would do and I'm not sure it is the best line to take by any means. Having said that...

First of all, I think I minraise to 50k from early position rather than raise to 60k. 50k will have the same effect as 60k but risking less chips in case you decide to fold depending on the action after you as you are in early position.

I don't believe the effective stack sizes give you the odds to purely set mine, so I think you have to fold if you only are playing this hand to set mine.

Having said that, I think you have to bet the flop once he checks it back to you. If he check/raises you fold, and if he check/calls and then checks the turn, you check to the river getting a free card.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth

D

ddeely1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having said that, I think you have to bet the flop once he checks it back to you.

Hero was OOP. So the OP checked first.
I think I minraise to 50k from early position rather than raise to 60k
Me too.
TBH, before i saw his hand was AQ i was thinking fold to his 3bet preflop. I am not sure if this is too weak, but I don't like playing oop. As played I think you did well. You gave him the chance to bluff flop if you check/call and by river you can assume he has AK/AQ.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is 22bb effective yes?
i would def be minraising, some reads would be helpful but id def be r/f or r/4b jamming,

can probably bet turn for value v A high and fd's

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Urgh, don't flat pre. Gonna fold this against randoms, if he has been aggro I'm fine w/ jamming,

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he shouldn't min-raise -- theres a caller before him pre - the UTG called so I'd probably actually pop it up to 70-75k pre.

Saying that vs the 3-bet I fold or unless he's been aggro you could ship it like blue said

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
argh, the results, they burn my eyes!!!

seriously though, fold pre without reads. Don't set mine out of position.

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow yea I misread that hand history a couple different ways. I didn't realize utg had open called. Folding pre is probably best but if you play this hand I may raise larger and try and isolate the first caller. The fact that you are utg+1 makes this a fold preflop as many have said though.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
argh, the results, they burn my eyes!!!.

Sry for including results but I wanted to show what I was having issues with in this game...Next time I'll just post the hand and only the hand...

Thx all for the advice of just folding small pairs pre while early also

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sorry missed the limper, makes me want to jam