$1.10 NLHE MTT: On the bubble All in call flush draw

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty sure this was a donk move but I thought I'ld check.

Situation is there are 7 people left in a 6 paying tournament. I was 2nd short stack on the button. Shortstack calls all-in, SB matches and I decide to as well as a KJs is just to big for me to lay down as short stacked as I am..and I am in position against the only guy who can bet. Next hand SB bets 50, and at this point I think. If I call all-in and he folds I'm heads up against who knows what, but probably not that great a card given he only had 2BB's left in him. If I am all-in and SB calls me and he wins, I finish 6th and in the money but if that flush does come off I can really push for a top finish. The hand is below, was this the right call?

full tilt poker $1 + $0.10 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t300/t600 Blinds - 7 players - View hand 1028264
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): t5705 9.51 BBs
UTG: t7040 11.73 BBs
UTG+1: t17470 29.12 BBs
MP: t1590 2.65 BBs
CO: t9515 15.86 BBs
BTN: t12920 21.53 BBs
SB: t13260 22.10 BBs

Pre Flop: (t900) Hero is BB with K
spade.gif
J
spade.gif

2 folds, MP raises to t1590 all in, 2 folds, SB calls t1290, Hero calls t990

Flop: (t4770) 3
spade.gif
spade.gif
club.gif
(3 players - 1 is all in)
SB bets t600, Hero raises to t4115 all in, SB calls t3515

Turn: (t13000) 2
club.gif
(3 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t13000) K
club.gif

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have to re-raise all in here pre flop if your going to play this, your committing 20% of your stack...as for how you played it, i think you again have to call the flop with 2 over cards and a flush draw...

im guessing he had a pocket pair? 88-jj? and you rivered the winner on him ?

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short stacked guy had an A2, the big problem came when the guy with the bigger stack than me turned over an AQ of spades meaning that spades were no longer good for me to win.

I hit a King on the river which won me the pot and set me up for the rest of the match. Still, wasn't sure if I played this one well or not.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no you didnt, but you did get lucky haha

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine with an all-in semi bluff that would normally get the other player to fold. He just happened to have a hand also and made the call. Turned out he had the best hand and you lucked out but that's poker....:rolleyes:

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it fine on this flop.

The only other way to play this would have been to shove preflop and I think this has merit. Your KJs does OK versus MPs range here but you really don't want to play this 3-way. SB can only call with a huge hand. If SB does have the huge hand then you still are ITM since MP will also lose to the SB.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it was me, I would fold and hope I make it into the money first and foremost. I still have 8+ blinds left after folding and if SB wins, I am in the money. Even if MP wins, he’s still the short stack.

If I risk it all, and I finish 3rd out of the 3 hands, and short stack wins, then I end up with nothing after sitting there for X hours.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty sure this was a donk move but I thought I'ld check.

Situation is there are 7 people left in a 6 paying tournament. I was 2nd short stack on the button. Shortstack calls all-in, SB matches and I decide to as well as a KJs is just to big for me to lay down as short stacked as I am..and I am in position against the only guy who can bet. Next hand SB bets 50, and at this point I think. If I call all-in and he folds I'm heads up against who knows what, but probably not that great a card given he only had 2BB's left in him. If I am all-in and SB calls me and he wins, I finish 6th and in the money but if that flush does come off I can really push for a top finish. The hand is below, was this the right call?

Full Tilt Poker $1 + $0.10 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t300/t600 Blinds - 7 players - View hand 1028264
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): t5705 9.51 BBs
UTG: t7040 11.73 BBs
UTG+1: t17470 29.12 BBs
MP: t1590 2.65 BBs
CO: t9515 15.86 BBs
BTN: t12920 21.53 BBs
SB: t13260 22.10 BBs

Pre Flop: (t900) Hero is BB with K
spade.gif
J
spade.gif

2 folds, MP raises to t1590 all in, 2 folds, SB calls t1290, Hero calls t990

Flop: (t4770) 3
spade.gif
spade.gif
club.gif
(3 players - 1 is all in)
SB bets t600, Hero raises to t4115 all in, SB calls t3515

Turn: (t13000) 2
club.gif

River: (t13000) K
club.gif

Normally I'd say this is a super duper shove but the problem is here we have a player who is already all-in. So basically we're shoving to win a pot of t600 with our fold equity, then if he does fold then we still have to go to showdown to win the main pot. I think we have enough pot equity and fold equity here to feel good about going to showdown, but it's just something to think about. Also, if we lose to the SB but manage to beat the MP player we will have made the money, even though we are now knocked out.

Also, two things that I'm not sure about:

1) it's a snap call pre if it folds around to us, but I'm not sure if it's still a call after the SB calls. Sure, we're getting ridiculous pot odds, but it's pretty hopeless trying to play a pot post-flop with a SPR of less than 1, imo.

2) I'm not really familiar with the payout structure here and how it affects our strategy, but I don't know if it's guaranteed we should consider folding just because it's the bubble here. Sure there's ICM tax, but I don' think it's as great as it would be in a 9-person STT. I'm not really sure, maybe someone else with more experience could clarify.

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the advice guys, its much appreciated! Looking back on it now I think i'm with you thebigdawg in that it should had all gone in preflop, not that it would had mattered in this particular case as I'm sure the SB would had called me in any case...

Full Flush Poker