$1.10 NLHE MTT: $$1.10 NLHE MTT: All in pre flop with ACE JACK?

S

Salmon5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
blinds 25/50

new to table, no reads.

utg villain raise 100 (16000 chips)
mp raise 250
mp call 250
hero raise 750 on the button with ACE JACK (15000 chips, tournament average approx 10 k chips)
blinds fold
villain raise to 1800
hero raises all in
villain calls with ACE QUEEN

Showdown ACE QUEEN VS ACE JACK, nothing hits, villain effectively doubles up and hits the top ten in tournament chips.

top 300 cash, hero eliminated approx 600.

My first mtt and was quite happy with my play strategically, but this hand has been eating me up.

would love some opinions on this hand, please let me know if i'm missing any information, thanks in advance :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd fold preflop (wouldn't even remotely consider flatting the raise).

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, so UTG raised and you 3bet and he 4 bets and you think 5 bet Jamming AJ is a great play here?

I personally don't see how this is ever gonna be a good situation also factor in the fact that your new to the table (Thus you don't know nothing about any of them and their style of play), and you still chose to do that?

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There's already been a 3-bet and a call before it gets to you, and when this happens at least one person probably has something like AA, KK, QQ, AK.

AJ is a great hand to open with in late position, but always analyze the action before it's your turn and think about what your opponents might have. The more activity there is, the better the hand you need in order to participate and have a good chance of winning and AJ's value drops dramatically in situations like this.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have about 300bb, your opponent more than you. You should make a call 5bet and see the flop. But a call is also risky option. Later if I hit J on the flop and if I have top pair with top kicker I call the flop, turn and river, because villain can have QQ or better.

S

Salmon5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea suited, all responses are appreciated :)

DevilMe03

DevilMe03

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a call is justified but i am folding to a reraise here. I think with your stack sizes its better for you to see the flop. With suited cards you have high implied odds. But be cautious postflop, be ready to dump pair of jack if faced with heavy resistance.

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
blinds 25/50

new to table, no reads.

utg villain raise 100 (16000 chips)
mp raise 250
mp call 250
hero raise 750 on the button with ACE JACK (15000 chips, tournament average approx 10 k chips)
blinds fold
villain raise to 1800
hero raises all in
villain calls with ACE QUEEN

Showdown ACE QUEEN VS ACE JACK, nothing hits, villain effectively doubles up and hits the top ten in tournament chips.

top 300 cash, hero eliminated approx 600.

My first mtt and was quite happy with my play strategically, but this hand has been eating me up.

would love some opinions on this hand, please let me know if i'm missing any information, thanks in advance :)

Like most of the posters, this is an easy preflop fold for me. This hand was raised UTG and already has two callers. You honestly think that AJ is going to the best of those four hands? Sure, you raised in position and narrowed the field --- eliminating the marginal hands and isolating yourself against the dominating hand.

You should NEVER get all you chips in the middle of the table with AJ and 300 BBs left unless it's a preflop battle of the blinds --- and I might even let it go there.

-HooDooKoo

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YOU HAVE 300 BLINDS!!!!!! HOW COULD YOU CONSIDER GOING ALL IN PREFLOP WITH AJ???? Not even the 3-bet is ok. it would have been a call, and a fold after the villian reraised preflop. You had 300 BLINDS. You are not ina a hurry to stack up.

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call but I wouldn't shove all in. It's not such a strong hand and your villain can always have AQ , AK , AA , JJ , QQ , KK. It's a tricky hand.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre. We can flat vs certain villains and depending on table size, but there's absolutely no reason in the world to 4-bet stack off 300bb deep in the early stages of a tournament with AJs.

Last edited:
S

Salmon5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all responses, dumb move but Definately a learning experience...

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost all have agreed, this was a clear fold.

But if you wanted to be creative. Re-raise and then flat call the 1800, the flop comes and he bets, assuming continuation, I would re-raise again. If he shoves, nothing can be done. But if he doesn't, you add a good amount of chip to your stack.

Yes but this requires a good understanding of the opponent.

alar2080

alar2080

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol my friend!AJ not bad hand, but you don't have informations about your opponent and because you must folded AJ after re raises because more handles the best them AJ for example 22+.....AK,AQ

Sent from my PRA-TL10 using CardsChat mobile app

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a similar experience recently when bubbling on a live cash tourney..i had a strong read on a similar short stacked opponent who was in HJ seat to my sb..all had folded and the blinds were 400/800.
I had AhJc offsuit and raised to 1850..he flats with 3d3h. Flop comes 4d, Jsp, 8h - i jam my remaining stack (12k) as i know he plays a lot of small pairs big - he calls off and shows his hand, turn comes 10d and river 3cl.
Excellent Read and pure bad luck..

A

amidoingitright?

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its rarely, if ever, good to get 300bb in the middle pre, regardless of your hand or situation. You have so much flexibility to play post flop.

S

SIMON111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ is just not a good a hand as people believe it is. for me its a 1st to act in late position. maybe def in bb. but you got to be so scared of been out kicked with AK/AQ and there a 6 combos of that hand, and there was already multiple callers pre flop.

MrGrace

MrGrace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't believe in the all in pre flop its risky no info and your hand is only to big cards could have AJ high at end

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Such play seems to me kind of crazy to me. I mean I've got used to seeing it in freerolls on PS but that isn't what I'd expect in real tourney.

AJ isn't a very strong hand and using it for 4-bet is effectively is a bluff. Villain's 5-bet UTG looks very strong so one should assume the villain had a very good hand. You had no reason to suspect otherwise because as you said you'd had no info on your opponents. Thus you were an obvious underdog with AJ so you should've folded. Calling didn't make much sense because more likely you would've been an underdog after the flop too so you would've folded anyway while losing more chips.

But you went all-in which looks totally irrational especially considering how deep you were. With such huge stack you would've had numerous opportunities to improve during the game but you risked it all with lame AJ.

Although villain's calling your all-in with AQ looks ridiculous too unless he had some info on you and suspected you were bluffing. In any case AQ is just not good enough to risk so many chips at once without any info about the flop. So basically this play looks like bingo poker where a more lucky player won.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise from UTG, than 3-bet and call from MP positions... In my opinion their range is definitelly too strong. I would fold preflop. If You really want to see the flop tnan ok, make a call but You must be ready to fold top pair postflop, bocause Your AJ will be easily dominated

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJo is a 3-bet/fold to a 4-bet hand versus UTG raising range with no reads. Better still, just fold.