$1.10 NLHE: Do you shove here?

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no its not. Its calculated by dividing your current chips by the sum of the blinds and antes. Read the wikipedia link.

And yes, with your size stack you should've shoved(or at least raise) preflop

didnt know there was an actual term for that

shove all in pf. with about 12 bb's left reraising all in and picking up those blinds are worth about 20% of your current stack or hope for a strong double up

L

LOUEA380

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you shove here?? TAKE 2 ($1.10 NL 10 man SNG)

Hi people, first post ever on this forum so here goes.

Blinds 10/20. Starting stack 1500- a particularly fishy table

I'm in the SB looking down at 22, 4 players limp in for 20, I call the sb and the bb checks. 6 players to the flop including myself. Pot120

Flop comes 2 4 J rainbow- beautiful! Trip 2's!

I'm first to act and bet 100 into a 120 pot fearing the worst, all the calling stations/ fish at the table calling my bet because they've hit bottom pair or are chasing the usual sort of rubbish giving me no indication of what they might have. Sure enough i get one fold and the rest call (4 players all acting behind me). The pot now stands at $620 and the turn comes a 7. Action is back to me..... what shall i do??

My thoughts at this stage were as follows- I have 1200 chips left and i would usually bet around 500 in this situation expecting to get all folds. However, i'm up against 4 other players who are calling stations/ loose players. If i now go ahead and make my 500 bet and get called by one or possibly more opponents I'm giving them the chance to hit a hand on the turn and still will have no more information from them.

I also have a read on a couple of these opponents. The player to my left I believe to have a strong hand but not a monster I put her on a jack. And the player to her left could have been playing absolutely anything as i'd seen him call very strong bets all the way to the river and only showing bottom pair and even calling an all in with bottom pair. The other 2 players i have no info on.

If i bet the 500 and get called, i'll only be faced with shoving on the turn oop, a decision i really don't want to make. I'll also only be leaving myself with 700 and the only hands i worried about are 44 and JJ for the 2nd and third nuts.

So i push all in hoping to get a call or two and I do. The player to my left shows a J with 10 kicker and the player to her left shows some rubbish i can't actually remember. I think it was 2nd pair with K kicker or similar. Anyway, I tipple up and later go on t win the tourney this one hand being the defining moment.

Did I make the correct play? If not, why not? and any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

L

LOUEA380

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry guys, didn't realize you had to post a new thread for a different hand. Respond on the thread i'v created on the main menu.

X

Xaras23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should raise pre flop, you got the button and you got a strong hand! raise to 3x the BB! Now on the flop, just make the call and see what happens! maybe the villan had QJ or an eight

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
2nd hand here w 2-2 in SB... although you're on a loose/passive table, with this many in the hand surely one of them will lead out with a bet and then others would call. I'd be more apt to check-raise here,.. making the raise.. 'alot'. Your big re-raise might not be treated with alot of respect (from the sounds of it on that table) as it might be looking like a bit of a steal (to players who don't know any better... even though you're representing alot of strength ... obviously).
I wouldn't be afraid to check-raise it allin here.
As played... I might check-shove the turn... but it depends... I'll shove first to act if I think I might even get a call from a weaker hand here.

L

LOUEA380

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply Poker Orifice. So if you were not confident that "one opponent would lead out with a bet and the others would call" I take it you wouldn't choose to check raise. Is that correct? Or would you would take the risk of someone drawing out. Also, I take it you wouldn't have been worried about someone trying to slow play trip 4's or trip J's when you checked. Because I was, so i'd rather get it in there instead of waiting for a raise and then shoving only to find i was hanging myself.
When you check-shove the turn are you not worried about drawing hands checking behind?

My mentality throughout this had was... I'm happy to take it down right here but if i get a call i'm probably ahead, at least i'm still in the tournament if i don't get a call. Rather than, let me try and get some more value in this pot before I take it down.
Any more comments would be greatly appreciated but PLEASE REPLY ON THE THREAD I HAVE CREATED ON THE MAIN MENU, I didn't realize you had to make a new thread for each hand. Cheers

joeaugie

joeaugie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough to say really, but I think in general you tend to see a lot of QJ KJ type of hands there so although you might feel like, shit I wasted pocket tens, at the end of the day they are just a pair of tens.