$1.10 NLHE: Do you shove here?

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.10 NL HE: Do you shove here?

This guy had been playing most hands since I had moved to the table around 10 hands ago. I personally felt that he had either a low pair or was just trying to take the pot down with the weakness shown from the blinds and with me being shortstacked.

What are your thoughts?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds 50 Ante (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP2 (t28907)
MP3 (t11705)
CO (t7963)
Hero (Button) (t5407)
SB (t6598)
BB (t21590)
UTG (t11001)
UTG+1 (t25539)
MP1 (t16310)

Hero's M: 5.15

Preflop: Hero is Button with 10
diamond.gif
, 10
club.gif

UTG calls t400, 5 folds, Hero calls t400, SB calls t200, BB checks

Flop: (t2050) J
club.gif
, 2
diamond.gif
, 8
spade.gif
(4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets t400, Hero????

mattzan

mattzan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well he could have J low... 8... i think if he had like low pair he would raise pre flop.. so i don't know...

well pot is 1400? calling 400 will give you 1800 - 400 (4.5-1) I call and see what happens...

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove preflop and increase your stack by 20%+

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If M < 10, preflop shove with TT = true

Seriously, you messed up so bad here by limping in, I refuse to comment on the flop.

M33K3R

M33K3R

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, the limp isn't very good, as you have to shove with an M that low.

Hambone8705

Hambone8705

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now what exactly is the "m" stat? I'm not familiar with this.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey thanks for the advice on shoving this pre-flop. Since reading the replies I have done a little research and I am just starting to understand the reasoning on shoving pre flop when your short stacked like this.

I think on the day I was just trying to extract a little more from someone after the flop but looking back I can see that if anyone had connected with the flop in any way I would be in big trouble...

Hambone8705

Hambone8705

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many orbits he can go around without being blinded out.

Ahh interesting stat have not heard of this one before. This must be some sort of HUD program stat. I do not use these programs.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahh interesting stat have not heard of this one before. This must be some sort of HUD program stat. I do not use these programs.

I dont think its on HUD's. I dont use them either though so im not 100% sure. It is just a more accurate way of saying how many big blinds you have left in a tourney situation. The 'M' takes into account the big blind, small blind and the antes...

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

no its not. Its calculated by dividing your current chips by the sum of the blinds and antes. Read the wikipedia link.

And yes, with your size stack you should've shoved(or at least raise) preflop

L

luke214

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are shortstacked in a $1.10....Pre-flop shove nines or higher.You never want to limp in here.

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another thing to remember that in a 1.10 tourney you WILL be called by alot worst hands if you go all-in and unless someone show up with AA-JJ you will be no worse then a coin flip.

W

whoopwhoop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I would not have shoved with that flop. But I would have shoved pre-flop. Small stakes, someone would have called with a marginal hand.

K

kalamazoo kidd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
shove preflop with your m that low

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a really easy shove preflop. Getting called by one player is cool here too... trying to make a decision on a flop isn't. You've let the BB in for free?? You have a robust hand here (<< Moshmann's terminology, lol).. shove your chips in!!! (I'd be shoving 55+ here, maybe 22+ depending upon the limper).

Lazmansa

Lazmansa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With out raising pre-flop here,u have got no way of knowing where u stand.Big mustake.with such a short stack,u should of shoved.

Now your guess is as good as mine.:D

Lazmansa

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the replies, this post has made me read up a lot more on shortstacked play and hopefully ill now be able to put it to good use on the felt.

In the case above though when I shoved I got called by AA so he would have called me preflop aswell.

The thing is, I think I got more out of that hand by losing it because had it not gone that way I would have never posted the OP in the first place :)

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove preflop. Another option is to min raise and hope for someone to push before you. I think calling the big blind is not an option here.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for all the replies, this post has made me read up a lot more on shortstacked play and hopefully ill now be able to put it to good use on the felt.

In the case above though when I shoved I got called by AA so he would have called me preflop aswell.

The thing is, I think I got more out of that hand by losing it because had it not gone that way I would have never posted the OP in the first place :)
^^ true true!!! I learn most from my mistakes on the tables. Not reviewing one's play is a big mistake. You're headed in the right direction!!!
GL on the tables!

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definite shove preflop...
As played, with that min-bet, you have to shove IMO. You don't have an idea what he has, and that was the risk you got by limping pre.

GordonStr222

GordonStr222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in preflop... shove move because of your M...

ander

ander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well.i have to agree whit the rest. shove pre flop

trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just shove pre and pick up 600+ chips. With TT an overcard is more likely to flop than not so ur usually gonna have a tough decision to make if ur bet into