$1.1 NLHE MTT: Late in tourney. Wanted to make FT, would you have made the same calling decision?

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.1 NLHE MTT: Late in tourney. Wanted to make FT, would you have made the same calling decision?

Hi everyone :)

What do you guys think of the hand below? It was late in the tourney (11 players left) and I felt like calling because I was holding 10th place atm and if I had double-up, I would be in a comforatble 4th place. Because I think it is important that once in a while you should finish in the top3 otherwise you are only making small money.

Villian was playing 44/38/1.3 and 3bet was 7. Only 51 hands though.

Would you have made the same decision to call? why or why not?

======
poker stars $1.00+$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t7000/t14000 Blinds + t1750 - 6 players - View hand 2518836
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: t550224 M = 17.47
UTG: t563686 M = 17.89
MP: t161893 M = 5.14
CO: t1003544 M = 31.86
Hero (BTN): t392197 M = 12.45
SB: t712122 M = 22.61

Pre Flop: (t31500) Hero is BTN with A K
2 folds, CO raises to t28000, Hero raises to t75500, SB raises to t710372 all in, 2 folds, Hero calls t314947 all in

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would of called, villain has really loose stats so he's most likely capable of doing this with hands that we dominate, we have good equity against almost all pairs, if he holds AA or KK well then that's bad luck that we ran into the very top of his range.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold.

The very least of his hand is QQ and still slightly ahead.

My M has still one orbit before Im in danger zone.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This seems like a situation where I want to consider my tournament and table situation in addition to the hand. The more I think I'll be able to chip back up and more, the less need to call right now for my tournament life when folding won't cripple me. But absent info on the rest of the players / the table dynamic, this doesn't seem the most likely scenario,

My best guess is that his 3bet range is wide enough so I'm about 50/50, maybe 55/45. Given my position in the field and the other stack sizes that I can see, I lean toward calling.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to go for the win so a call is not a bad decision here. Hard to lay down AK suited in this situation. I would have called...:)

A

anthony c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a $1 tournament and with that stats and 7, 3 bet % he is 3 betting ats+,aqo+,99+ and ako is 50.87 fav on equilab but pokerstove i think its more 48%
But still u are getting 2.4-1 on a call and u have to win 1 in 3, 33,333% of the time and u are at least 45%
I am calling this everyday of the week and twice on sunday and u will be 2nd in tourney
What did sb have??

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a $1 tournament and with that stats and 7, 3 bet % he is 3 betting ats+,aqo+,99+ and ako is 50.87 fav on equilab but pokerstove i think its more 48%
But still u are getting 2.4-1 on a call and u have to win 1 in 3, 33,333% of the time and u are at least 45%
This seems to focus solely on the card odds, with no value placed on tournament life or on any other possible considerations related to tournament equity. Do they not matter?

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AK in ur and one shove to call i would say u did what i think too is correct...
I also agree with ur idea that its more important to get into top 3...top 5 at least than settling for 10th or 9th...its worth the shot for ur time and patience and AK is the best u can have to make that shot with...hope u made top 3 in there...

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call and not even close.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys for all you responses. I think I made the correct decision. There is hardly any good argument against calling :)

For those who want to know : villain had JJ, and I lost :-( No A or K ever showed up on the board...

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May I know whats your justification why calling is the better move?

Just asking...

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May I know whats your justification why calling is the better move?

Just asking...

First, it's a tournament and we have AK, secondly..we have a player who is running really aggro and lastly we are one of the shortest stack. If we are willing to stick AK in here we shouldn't really be playing MTT's even on a FT bubble I don't see any merit to ever folding in this spot with 25bb.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think folding AK would be a good idea there. I think villain has any medium to low pair and he wants to get it in. At this late stage of tournament many players wait for pairs to get their money in. Or it could be AQ but most probably he has a pair and i think calling here is a good idea. Don't be result oriented with AK in such a spot thinking of making top three by folding. That would open you up to more bullying by others later. So snap call.:icon_cher

A

anthony c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This seems to focus solely on the card odds, with no value placed on tournament life or on any other possible considerations related to tournament equity. Do they not matter?

They do matter but if he was chip leader and u 2nd chip leader than yes, maybe its a fold i don't know.This is a good spot to double up to become chip leader so
icm i say call.
AK is a very strong drawing hand and the great thing about AK is its difficult to be dominated since u have 2 blockers as well.
Against a loose range its a great spot and u have to play for top 3.Average cash in tourney's is about 20% i think.So cashing does not mean i'st prof. in the long run!!!:D

A

anthony c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

They do matter but if he was chip leader and u 2nd chip leader than yes, maybe its a fold i don't know.This is a good spot to double up to become chip leader so
icm i say call.
AK is a very strong drawing hand and the great thing about AK is its difficult to be dominated since u have 2 blockers as well.
Against a loose range its a great spot and u have to play for top 3 so i think tournament ev does not apply here.Average cash in tourney's is about 20% i think.So cashing does not mean it's prof. in the long run!!!:D