$0.5 NLHE MTT: 2-pair against a limping AJo.

B

Bouta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I really find myself unable to let this hand go against this rather loose and rather randomly playing guy... Altough I could have suspected this a bit by his 0PFR stat.... Was my raise from the BB loose and unreasonable? Probably yes, but I still hit the flop and found myself in a good spot. What are your opinions on this call...? Also... odds were rather on the "call" side

pokerstars, $0.45 + $0.05 - Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 (4 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

Juneko (UTG): 1,430 (48 bb)
Robin$onAK (UTG+1): 1,405 (47 bb)
slavie129 (MP): 1,377 (46 bb)
steiv_4_2 (MP+1): 2,244 (75 bb)
fjrdft (CO): 1,330 (44 bb)
30_dima_30 (BU): 1,890 (63 bb)
powerchamp1 (SB): 1,255 (42 bb)
Bouta88 (BB): 3,479 (116 bb)

Pre-Flop: (77) Hero (Bouta88) is BB with 9 6
2 players fold, slavie129 (MP) calls 30, 4 players fold, Bouta88 (BB) raises to 150, slavie129 (MP) calls 120

Flop: (347) 9 J 6 (2 players)
Bouta88 (BB) bets 229, slavie129 (MP) calls 229

Turn: (805) A (2 players)
Bouta88 (BB) bets 531, slavie129 (MP) raises to 994 (all-in), Bouta88 (BB) calls 463

River: (2,793) Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 2,793

Showdown:
slavie129 (MP) shows A J (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 64%, Flop: 25%, Turn: 91%, River: 100%)

Bouta88 (BB) shows 9 6 (two pair, Nines and Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 36%, Flop: 75%, Turn: 9%, River: 0%)

slavie129 (MP) wins 2,793

Vlaad

Vlaad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have played the hand exactly like you did. Not much you can do differently here and the result would almost always be the same anyway.

C

chakalaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't underdstand preflop action. Why you isolate the limper?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Raising with garbage like is an absolutely terrible play and even more so out of position. Just knock your option and take a free flop.

Flop
You got bailed out by flopping two pair, and now my plan would clearly be to play for stacks on clean runouts. You need to think about pot geometry though, and when you bet this size, you create a turn situation with only a little over a pot sized bet left. I would make this a 3 street hand, so I would go a bit smaller on the flop.

Turn
Now the awkwardness comes in, because if you jam, its an overbet, and if you bet a size, like you did, you are committed to the pot anyway. As played you obviously have to call, if nothing else because you are getting almost 5:1, and you certainly have more than 17% equity against his range. Maybe he have AX of hearts, and he just want to go with it, and so on and so forth.

Results
Postflop is just a cooler situation, but preflop is absolutely terrible, and if you had kept the pot small by not raising pre, you could have avoided dubbling him up.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop and OOP is not place and time to raise with garbage

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You acknowledge that the raise pre-flop is loose/spewy so that's fair :D

I like your line post-flop. You bet both times with good/large sizing and getting beat is definitely just a cooler.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You took advantage of the situation and the big stack. By raising the bets so high, isn't that what you wanted? You've just been penalized for playing aggressive with absolute garbage.

Last edited:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said the raise pre flop will not net you much. You either get a fold and get a very small pickup or you get called and are out of position in a bloated pot, a bad hand, and going against an opponents range that you know little about. Better to just see the free flop and then get away from it easily when you dont get what you want,

As played on the flop I like the sizing with the two hearts on the board and two pair. With villain calling our raise pre then they either have a little something or they are one of those players where they cant see the fold button on their screen. Might as well try to get value from them if they are willing to call.

On the turn as played, even though it is an overbet I would just put the villain in here since we are never folding if we make really any size bet that is over 20% of pot and villain could easily be a sticky villain with a heart draw here. They have called this far so their one pair hands and their hearts are probably calling the effective stack jam by you which is what we want. I dont see a reason to bet small on the turn and then bet river again and letting the villain see all 5 cards. I see the case for maybe betting smaller flop but I dont mind this line as long as you get all the chips in on the turn. When they wind up making a bigger two pair on the turn it is what it is but know that type of villain is probably calling the turn bet no matter what hits.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said the raise pre flop will not net you much. You either get a fold and get a very small pickup or you get called and are out of position in a bloated pot, a bad hand, and going against an opponents range that you know little about. Better to just see the free flop and then get away from it easily when you dont get what you want,

Yeah Hero is literally forcing a bad player to play well, when he make this move. He is building the pot for his opponent, when his opponent has both the best hand and position.

As played on the flop I like the sizing with the two hearts on the board and two pair. With villain calling our raise pre then they either have a little something or they are one of those players where they cant see the fold button on their screen. Might as well try to get value from them if they are willing to call.

On the turn as played, even though it is an overbet I would just put the villain in here since we are never folding if we make really any size bet that is over 20% of pot and villain could easily be a sticky villain with a heart draw here. They have called this far so their one pair hands and their hearts are probably calling the effective stack jam by you which is what we want. I dont see a reason to bet small on the turn and then bet river again and letting the villain see all 5 cards. I see the case for maybe betting smaller flop but I dont mind this line as long as you get all the chips in on the turn. When they wind up making a bigger two pair on the turn it is what it is but know that type of villain is probably calling the turn bet no matter what hits.

Looking at it again I also like making it a 2 street hand. For that purpose we should bet slightly larger on the flop, so we set it up for a less than pot sized turn shove. There are so many draws, they can have on this board, where we either get them to call it off incorrectly or fold out a good chunk of equity on the turn.

There are also times, where they floated the flop with a hand like AT and turned top pair. Or they could get sticky with their KJ, QJ, JT, because they think, you are bullying them with your big bets. There is a ton of value in just getting it in here, and as you say, if they happen to have a better two pair, then good for them.