$0.25 NLHE MTT: Flush draw in 4-way pot - wrong fold?

R

RodrigoCL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 19/10/9

Hey community,

I'm not sure if my fold here was correct or if I should have continued in the hand and decide again on the turn. As you will see the pot was opened 4x by UTG+1, called by a short-stacked on MP and called by the CO, and I decided to defend the BB with a decent holding. The flop brings me a flush draw, but I am OOP and decided to fold to the CO bet as I still had to wait for the UTG action. I included the turn card in the hand details as I believe it's important to take into account if I had decided to call (or raise) the CO bet.

Any thoughts on this play will be very much appreciated.

PokerStars - $0.23+$0.02|50/100 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 40.6 BB (VPIP: 18.18, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 5.88, hands: 34)
MP+1: 3.87 BB (VPIP: 31.03, PFR: 7.14, 3Bet Preflop: 5.88, Hands: 30)
MP+2: 17.32 BB (VPIP: 6.67, PFR: 4.55, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 46)
CO: 30.66 BB (VPIP: 19.05, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 22)
BTN: 43.95 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
SB: 34.8 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
Hero (BB): 25.75 BB
UTG: 34.5 BB (VPIP: 18.46, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 5.00, Hands: 65)
UTG+1: 16.5 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J J

fold, UTG+1 raises to 4 BB, fold, MP+1 calls 3.87 BB and is all-in, fold, CO calls 4 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 3 BB

Flop: (16.37 BB, 4 players) 9 Q 4
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO bets 5 BB, fold, fold

Turn: (16.37 BB, 2 players) 9

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flating pre seems okei, since implied odds will cover you! You can also fold which is safe (but i do not like fold here really) or jam if you have some reads.

Well on flop is 2 choices b/jam or c/x, but as played i prefer most often fold but never call only jam if you feel you have still FE left imo!

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here no call preflop because pot already big 50% of your stack, you oop in multiway pot and you always get right odds that call cbet, so only shove, JJ very strong hand for shove...

About situation when you only call preflop, now postflop very difficult but i am bet around 30% of the pot anyway, because if all fold we can win big pot, if someone shove or call we can fold...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty much always jamming JJ here preflop. If I'm lucky the CO will fold, but even if he calls we're flipping at worst because he would have most likely raised QQ or better.

As played we're in an awkward spot but I think I might check raise jam on this flop. It's not a great flop but there is only 1 overcard and we have the Jd as an emergency flush draw plus a blocker. We're only really in trouble vs an overpair with a diamond or AQ with the Ad or KQ with the Kd. And those hands are definitely possible, but many many other hands are possible too. If you get called by a random queen you've got the flush draw....if you get called by a flush draw you've got a blocker to their flush...

Plus the bet size from the CO seems weak as he only bet 30% of the pot. that usually either means "monster" or "testing the waters". So I'd suck it up and check raise jam but I wouldn't be too happy about it. I'd be wondering why I didn't just keep it simple and jam preflop.

R

RodrigoCL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the answers. The player who bet the flop did have a Q, but I would have completed my flush on the turn. I did the math and I had the odds to make that call, so it's a lesson for next time.

UhhWee

UhhWee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
same as horizon and JJ is a strong hand for shoving but its a bad flop for you. so better push or fold here, its up to you

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the answers. The player who bet the flop did have a Q, but I would have completed my flush on the turn. I did the math and I had the odds to make that call, so it's a lesson for next time.

Flush on turn, really? lol :D

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J J

fold, UTG+1 raises to 4 BB, fold, MP+1 calls 3.87 BB and is all-in, fold, CO calls 4 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 3 BB

Flop: (16.37 BB, 4 players) 9 Q 4
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO bets 5 BB, fold, fold

Turn: (16.37 BB, 2 players) 9

Last edited:
A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty much always jamming JJ here preflop. If I'm lucky the CO will fold, but even if he calls we're flipping at worst because he would have most likely raised QQ or better.

Initial opener is fairly unknown, and got 16bb and he just invested 1/4 his stack into this spot! - I am not the wizzard of guessing the range with sample 4 hand's, but this move's smells more then 50% weakness (pretty much he is telling, he have virtual top range and do not want any action, just give the blinds for free :D) - Just thought's which need to be consider imo :)

It might be a good argument for AI preflop imo

CO range is wide like a ocean all suited connectors and virtual post flop made hands are included etc

Last edited:
B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with about 13 BB in the pot and a stack of 26 BB you have to jam.

Full Flush Poker Folding in Poker