$0.25 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Turbo: QQ misplay or a sick call?

E

EngineerRB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, everyone! I was playing this MTT on my friend's PC, so I don't have the actual hand history, but I hopefully what I am about to write from my memory will make sense.

Blinds 100/200 ; 11 players remaining (I am currently 4th)
Me - on the button (4,400)
Him - MP1 (12,000)

-He calls the BB
-Everyone folds behind, action on me, I raise min
-Everyone folds, action on him, he calls (pot = 1,100)

*Flop: 4 6 J
-He bets 200
-I raise to 500
-He calls (pot = 2,100)

*Turn: K
-He bets 400
-I raise all-in (3,500)
-He calls, shows K 10 offsuit

*River does not help, I finish 11th.

Probably a questionable shove on the turn on my part... What do you guys think?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
misplayed a bit

why the min raise preflop? KT had odds to call. I say if he limped for 200 I'd raise to about 650-750 (whatever the table standard raise has been plus 1 BB for 1 limper)

OK, on the flop...what a beautiful flop for your hand! AND....he bets into you...yay! why not raise more? I would prefer to see you raise bigger HERE on the flop when you're ahead...
especially if you are feeling pot committed and are not going to be able to fold to a K or A on the turn, then you should charge him right now on the flop. I'd say re-raise to about 2/3 of the total pot. So if the pot contains 1,300 now I'd raise it up to about 800 or 900.

Once you get to the turn and he bets into you (after calling your flop re-raise) what does your all in on the turn accomplish? It's not a thinking man's bet. any set or 2 pair will call you. most Kings will call you. It doesn't ever get called by a hand that you beat except MAYBE AJ will smell a rat and hero call...but that is still a pretty tough bet for even AJ to call...I'd say either flat call the turn, or just fold the turn. never raise.

If you flat the 400 on the turn you are getting pot odds of over 6:1 to suck out (plus implied odds) and who knows? you might even still be ahead. Re-asses on the river. If a blank hits, consider calling another weak/small bet or just check behind if he checks. assuming he lets you check down the river, you still would have lost that hand but at least you would have had a stack of 3,100 to work with.

Last edited:
Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't min-raise preflop. Bad, bad, bad. Almost nobody shows respect for a min-raise and will call, so it makes it almost impossible to hand-read postflop. Raise to at least 800-1000. If he folds, good - collect the pot and move on. If he calls, you now have a decent-sized pot and a reasonable inclination to shove on the flop, in which case he folds (most likely).

As played, your postflop raise is practically a min-raise. You're going to get a lot of loose calls from deeper stacks.

H

haihai

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea...what the two above me said..

Should've raised at least 3x, maybe 4x preflop. Most players are gonna call a min raise if they already limped and no one else calls, especially when they have so much more chips than you.

Post flop...I think you're better off just shoving all in instead of your almost min raise. From the way you played it, it looks like you were going to shove no matter what anyways, so why give the other player a chance to out draw you? He's not folding to your basically min raise.

And lets say on post turn, we follow your logic. You're obviously thinking the villain doesn't have a K, or else you wouldn't shove all in. So what exactly was the point of you shoving all in if you wanted to get the most value? Only hand that you can really beat is if he hit the J (maybe that's what you're thinking), but aside from that, you can't beat any other hand he could possibly have. If you did think your QQ was good, why not just called it the turn, and let him fire another barrel on the river?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here I raise pre flop more than 500, at least 600- I think 600 is good because you have 22bb pre flop, so not too much for playing post flop. - He is bigstack here, he has about 60bb, +50bb it is a lot of chips. I'm sure that he calls your raise pre flop, always should do that. Post flop - 2,5x it is standard raise, but again he has odds to call - only 300 to call, at this moment pot is 1800. More! more! more! He makes a donktbet. The donkbet sometimes means weakness, it is a trait of weak players, fish likes this move. So I think here raise to 700-800 should be good.
Turn - isn't good card for QQ. If you would play it better on the flop, then maybe he would make a check. As played - i make a call and want to see cheap next card.
River - I hope to see the showdown. Here you should have about 3k chips. Pot is also 3k chips. It depends how he play the river, what is his bet. Possible that he bets here not more than 1k chips, 1/3 pot. For 1k chips I can make a call. More than 1k probably I fold.
After this hand you could have about 2-3 chips, you could save some chips. So IMO raise all in on the turn isn't good move in this board, where is King card. Take care :)

E

EngineerRB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The min raise preflop was to induce action. I had everyone else noted as either passive, or were relatively short stacked. The villain was a very LAG player, so I thought his range would be quite wide.

Now that I think of it, yes, I should have raised a bit more preflop, yet I do not understand the call he made after the flop...

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because he has 60bb, he could do that. 12k chips is good to be a chipleader of tournament, at this phase of tournament. But correct me if I'm wrong. Is it a 45 sng ?

E

EngineerRB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's right, 45 man SnG. If I recall correctly, he was either 1st or 2nd in chips.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The min raise preflop was to induce action. I had everyone else noted as either passive, or were relatively short stacked. The villain was a very LAG player, so I thought his range would be quite wide.

Now that I think of it, yes, I should have raised a bit more preflop, yet I do not understand the call he made after the flop...

If he was a LAG player, you don't need to min-raise to induce action. He's probably going to come along heads up anyway because of his stack.

He called the flop because you only made him throw 300 more chips into a pot of 1800. He probably folds the flop if you raise more (like 1000) or if he misses the turn. His hand stays alive if the turn is a K (3 left), 10 (3 left), or Q (4 left) for a total of 10 "outs." He can even turn a gutshot with an Ace and, from his perspective, if you were just bluffing you may check the turn and give him a free card. Point is, your flop raise looked very weak, and he thought he could take down the pot one way or another.

donkysnake

donkysnake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why did u raise turn? lol ... u def played bad )