$0.10 NLHE MTT Turbo: Did I make a correct play?

• Thread starter Russian_Californian
  • Start date
R

Russian_Californian

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, guys. I've been a really tight player over the course of playing poker, but recently I've realized that it really won't get me any final tables. I don't neccessarily blame that on playing tight, but I guess there's more to winning tournaments than playing solid, tight-aggressive poker. I've been often able to min-cash, but that's about it.
So I decided to take a step upon the path of widening up. Hopefully, it's gonna make me a better player.
Anyway, lemme provide you with the description of the hand that cost me my tournament life :)

I am in LP2... Been dealt 57 off. Pretty marginal holding. An EP1 open-limped. there was another limper in MP2, so I decided... Let's raise. I open-raised 2.5BB. EP1 called, MP2 folded...
EP1 is not the tightest player out there, so he can surely have a pretty wide range.
Flop comes Q69 rainbow giving me a gutshot.
He donkbets 3/4 of the pot, which obviously makes me either put him on QJ+, a set, or a bluff hoping that I missed and would fold...
I thought about the options I had...
Calling didn't seem to be an option. I might have folded, but I decided to raise. Well, I thought, if he only had a pair of queens, chance is he will give me credit for a set or maybe a higher kicker, or two pair, who knows. If he calls, then well I still have a chance of catching my 4-outer.
Our stacks are similar, around 20BB.
So I raise him to 3x his raise, and he shoves all in. I think oh well... I only have a handful of BBs left in my stack, so I have to gamble. I call and end up not catching my 4outer. He shows QJ just what I thought he had.
Please criticize me relentlessly :)

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In micro tournaments this bad raise with light range because you always get 2-3 callers, and in postflop you will play with really trash hand, also you have very small size stack that make this raise....

In flop you missed so only fold, when villain bet you not have right pot odds for call with gutshot and you already far behind. Because players are usually do not bluff at the micro buyins, they always have something when doing donkbet. If you have nothing, you need only fold, bluff will not be profitable.

Last edited:
ZekeRam

ZekeRam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting looser doesn't mean playing rags, especially in early stages on the tournament. I would've just folded, there wasn't enough in the pot to rationalize stealing.

As played, you have some equity going into the turn, and I'd look to see it as cheap as possible. On the turn, you're looking to make a 3/4 or half pot bet to get villain to give up. I'd check or call on the flop and hope to either hit, or villain gives up the betting lead. If villain checks, I'd bet and give up when faced with any resistance.

J

Jeremy Schatz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ZekeRam is 100% right. Also, you might want to consider raising larger if you want people to fold in the micros. Generally speaking though, there are better places to raise than in LP with 75o in a pot where EP and MP is involved.

B

bondgaurav21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play this kind of game when your opponent is tight player and you have more than 8 outs. with 4 outs, it is too risky to gamble.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never commit yourselfe with air imo

As played: 2,5bb raise is pretty weak..I would prefer at least 3,5bb ( but i would raise 5bb since there is 2+ limpers and fold any agression) and note that you have some players left to act!

fold flop no need to get fancy given stack size is 20bb, so its clear fold. ( you raise when you should fold - a huge leak on your game).

Best play would be: fold preflop!

Last edited:
suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In tournaments generally people play tighter than in cash games and for good reason. This play becomes even tighter when they have 25 bb or less.

So if most people generally fold a specific hand pre flop in cash game then it has to be a weak hand or of less value.

If this were a cash game most people will never raise with your hand in that pot. Which means they will definitely not make a raise here in tournaments. At best people will limp in cash games with 5 7 off or fold.

So raising was a big mistake here and the play after the flop was even worse. With a 20 bb stack i don't know what you were trying to achieve. You gave yourself pretty much the worse odds to win.

It is good sometimes to gamble and win. But when you are regularly up against the odds then you are not doing yourself any favours. :embarasse

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a difference between playing a LAG style and overplaying junky hands. First of all, bluffs are much harder to execute in micros than anywhere else. This is because most micro players are just thinking about their own 2 cards. So getting a player to lay down hands like top pair in a micro turbo MTT is nearly impossible. This is where playing a looser style can win you money...not trying to bluff them off their top pair, but seeing a lot of flops and when you bink the flop like 2 pair or a monster draw then you can jam it in and pretty much always get called by top pair type hands.

Preflop: just fold. no need to play a big multiway pot with 7 hi and micro players are very unlikely to fold to such a small raise. If you elect to raise (I don't recommend it) then you need to raise bigger to get heads up. maybe 5 or 6 bb. that quickly becomes a huge chunk of your stack which is why I prefer keeping it simple and folding.

Flop: Well, you have nothing. and he bets enough to deny you proper pot odds. often when weak players bet kinda big on the flop it's because they are protecting something. If they have something worth protecting they aren't usually folding it. so, you saw a flop with a speculative hand and now you're getting bet off your gutshot. Oh well. next hand.

FWIW, I wouldn't even make this move with an open ender right here. 8 outs is just not enough when you have very little if any fold equity. Vs a thinking good player I would maybe make this move with as few as 6 outs (2 over cards) but only if I put them on TP weak kicker and only if I knew they viewed me as tight; Im basically representing a set and have back up outs in a situation like that. Usually, even vs a good opponent I'd like at least 9 outs before I'm semi-bluffing all in against a range that I think has a piece of the board. and against terrible micro calling stations I'd need at least 12 but ideally 14+ outs before I'd even consider semi bluffing all in.

C

chuckdiesel1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
57 os is not a hand to play. plus once you get your up and down you are really not looking good odds wise. 30% is not the way to go