Thoughts on NFL's New Overtime Rule?

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today the NFL changed its overtime rules for the playoffs. After the coin flip, each team is assured of one possession, unless one team scores a touchdown or a safety. This rule change was approved by an overwhelming majority of the owners. Supposedly, a lot of NFL coaches are ticked off by this rule change. This rule is scheduled to go into effect only for the playoffs, but the league is having another owner's meeting in May, and it's possible that this rule change could be extended to apply to the regular season.

What do you think of this rule change?

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like this new rule because both team have a fair chance on winning as long as the team who receives in OT kicks a FG which happens very often. Wouldn't mind seeing this in the pre-season and all season.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like it the old way,but will take a wait and see attitude as to how it is implimented.

Snow :cool:

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like the change, and wish they had proposed it for all games. Too many field goals to win OT games.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem I have with it is that they only changed it for the postseason, not the regular season. I bet you Minnesota bitched to the NFL about the OT rules when they choked away their season last year. I don't like the change. The NFL has been doing fine with what they had before. Why change it?

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see any reason at all to have changed the rules. If you want to win the game, then stop your opponent from scoring in overtime if you lose the coin toss. Or better yet, score more points than the other team during the first 60 minutes.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this rule change because I think the old OT in the NFL was a complete joke, but I still don't think they went far enough with this change. I agree with Golic on ESPN. They need to play another full quarter of football. Leaving it up to a coin toss and whether or not a team scores a TD first is just silly.

I think OT in the NCAA is better than what the NFL uses. At least both teams have an equal opportunity. It's not a great format, but it's fair.

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm willing to wait and see how this works. I'm 43, and the old rules were ones I was accustomed to. I agree with one of the previous posters, if a team wanted to assure itself of victory, it could score more points during regulation time. I hope the owners made the change because they truly believed this was better for the sport, not because people had a sour taste over Minnesota's loss in the playoffs. I didn't understand all the outcry over Brett Favre not having a chance to win the game against the Saints. Minnesota had plenty of chances to win that game, and Favre himself helped seal the loss with an ill-advised interception. The NFL is bigger than any one player.

U

umpinpa22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like it but it is a misconception that the team who usually wins the flip wins in ot! conversely if i remember right it favors the defense oh well to each their own right! gla at the table go pack!:D

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem I have with it is that they only changed it for the postseason, not the regular season. I bet you Minnesota bitched to the NFL about the OT rules when they choked away their season last year. I don't like the change. The NFL has been doing fine with what they had before. Why change it?

Doubt it. Minnesota is 1 of 4 teams who voted AGAINST the change.

B

BondsHOF

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a bad change. What about teams that pride themselves on really good special teams? Its part of the game. That takes away from their strenth. Also, you start the game with a coin toss. I dont see anything more "fair" that a 50/50 chance at reciving the ball first in overtime. Another thing, Golic dosent know jack!! If your going to make a rule change use it in the regular season otherwise whats the point. My thinking is the gambling aspect of the game is why they won't use it in the regular season just yet. The handycapers don't really know how it will affect the gaming yet, I'm sure I'm wrong on this.
I have some rule changes, for example expand the rosters (concusions) so defences can play the ball and the man; QB's are players too. One foot in bounds for catches (they allowed the defence to push recivers out of play in the air last starting last year). Go Niners!!!

Thank God its almost baseball season, Giants all the way baby!!!

damours21

damours21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont like the change. first team to score wins is the best rule. it makes you play defense knowing you cant give up a 30-40 yard drive that will result in a fg to win it

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stupid....and too complicated

just give the home team the ball first in ot if you dont like the coin toss

i'd rather see the college system than this new one

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to this article, there is a good chance this rule will be extended to apply to the regular season, not just the playoffs. This piece also notes that once a player's helmet comes off, the ball is immediately ruled dead. I think that's a good rule change. Several times last season, I saw a runner's helmet fly off and he still kept running. I think the opposing team's players were considerate enough to tackle the runners in a way that wouldn't injure them, but there's no reason to expose players to that kind of risk, especially with all the recent publicity about NFL players suffering concussions and other long-term brain injuries.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6927922.html

durrr i win

durrr i win

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think more football to watch is a win/win no matter what.Plus if your at the game your getting more football viewing for your money.Think teams will play/work harder not to go in to OT so they dont have to deal w/it...

dead spade

dead spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this rule is a long time coming now both teams have a fair chance, cuz its to damn easy to kick feild goals:cool:

Poker Rules - Poker Games