Phillies Fan Tased After Running Onto Field

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This has been sort of big news here in Newark, we're about thirty minutes outside of Philadelphia, and there are lots of Phillies fans that come to school here. Here's the story: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/Phillies-Fan-Tased-for-Rushing-Field-92739934.html

Personally, I think the police officer crossed the line here. When there are multiple security guards chasing down a teenager on the field, the use of a taser counts as excessive force. If he appeared to be holding a weapon of some sort and was threatening the safety of the players, I could understand using a taser. But here, he posed no immediate threat, and the taser could have killed him. Just tackle him with the half-a-dozen officers going after him, that's all it takes.

jaycism

jaycism

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that offocer was fat and out of shape. that is why he used his taser. you know he was mad about running after that kids. he finally had to earn his money and didnt like it so he tased that kid lol. i hope he gets fired for it. that is too much i say

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im kind of on the fence on this one. Too much force, probably. But remember the nutjobs that attacked the first base coach a few years ago? I wish they would have tased them, like 100 times. It's one of the damned if you do and damned if you don't. I don't think he should be fired just as much as I don't think the kid should go to jail for it. It certainly will make the next guy think twice...

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nope, this was the perfect thing to do in this situation. Recall back in 2002 when Tom Gamboa of the KC royals, when father and son rushed onto the field and attacked him, later a folded up pocket knife was found on the ground, was dropped by one of the two men fortunately.

granted this situation seemed less dramatic but still, cant be taken lightly no matter how innocent the moron looked. Hopefully this sends a message to all youngsters/ drunken ppl at games not to run onto the field. Even the Head of the philly police department supported the tasing 100%. i agree.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can understand that viewpoint, but at least from the video, it seemed like the guy wasn't near any of the players yet, and there were tons of security around. If he had managed to run away from all of the guards and come closer to one of the players, then maybe you can tase him, but I still think the guy jumped the gun and used the taser before it was necessary.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say the officer went overboard, but I seriously have no sympathy for idiots.
Granted he may not have been near any of the players, but there needs to be a "no tolerence" standpoint on this, otherwise all kinds of idiots will be running on the field.

mdnmdn

mdnmdn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think it was fine what the officier did. you dont know what could of happened and the fact that he was a teenager doesnt matter. i wonder how the players feel, they are the ones who could be in danger.

B

BondsHOF

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
F Sioux Falls, SD

When did sheep grow thumbs? Let's talk punishment. No jail, please. I say after you caught the hippie, in between innings while the pitcher takes his warm up pitches the offending persons have to take one. From each teams starting pitcher. For entertainment. I bet people would stop jumping fences then.
By the way if your going to jump the field; do it during a dead ball or stopage of playm, not mid pitch swall kock.
Whats going to happen if someone dies on the field after being tased? or How about snipers on the rooftops? Where are we then?
Remember when Hank Aaron hit that ball and two dudes charged the field, then some rent acop came out of left field and tased thier asses?:canabis:

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say the officer went overboard, but I seriously have no sympathy for idiots.
Granted he may not have been near any of the players, but there needs to be a "no tolerence" standpoint on this, otherwise all kinds of idiots will be running on the field.
+1 But I don't think the officer necessarily went overboard. This kid was running and dodging all over the place. Just wondering if there are settings for the intensity of the taser. That could be turned down a bit.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must of missed this one on Espn. If i was the cop i would have tased him to. Make me look like an idiot chasing you around in cirles, SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND. muhahhaha

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that offocer was fat and out of shape. that is why he used his taser. you know he was mad about running after that kids. he finally had to earn his money and didnt like it so he tased that kid lol. i hope he gets fired for it. that is too much i say

I think this is just silly - the idiot who ran on the feild deserved to get tased.

The cop used the taser to make an example out of him.

I like it! You never know what some drunk crazy idiot might do to the players.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you would like this mr. negative. to each his own in opinions but that kid wasn't possessing any kind of harm out there. did he look drunk? he is a kid. you cant put those two together.

A kid? So was the person that killed all those students at Columbine. This one's 17, not 7. You are tried as an adult at 18. How did anyone know he wasn't 'possessing any harm'? Wait until after he brandishes and quickly uses the weapon? Alcohol, probably - you don't have to be falling down drunk to be tipsy. But it doesn't matter here. Let it be a lesson to control your intake, if so. But in my drunkenest moment, could never have jumped onto a MLB field and ran around.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A kid? So was the person that killed all those students at Columbine. This one's 17, not 7. You are tried as an adult at 18. How did anyone know he wasn't 'possessing any harm'? Wait until after he brandishes and quickly uses the weapon? Alcohol, probably - you don't have to be falling down drunk to be tipsy. But it doesn't matter here. Let it be a lesson to control your intake, if so. But in my drunkenest moment, could never have jumped onto a MLB field and ran around.

+1

again the tasing may not have been necessary, but i dont think it was excessive force and i praise the officer for doing it to discourage other morons.

On sportscenter it said the kid even called his dad before he ran out to see if it would be ok LOL

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He deserved the excessive force. After being told to stop, lay down, get on the ground etc., he kept running. When you don't listen to authority, there are consequences. The taser just happened to be the consequence.

BTW, go Cardinals!

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He got exactly what he deserved. Maybe this will serve as more of a deterant for future idiots to STAY OFF THE FIELD....

Oh wait, it happened the next night as well, didn't it?

dead spade

dead spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this was the funniest thing i've seen this week i just cant beleive that they have gone to tassering fans now what happen to the good old fashion tackle i saw a guy get tackled last year at the raider niner game oh the good times lol:cool:

B

BondsHOF

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If anything it makes me want to jump the fence, nude of course.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what happen to the good old fashion tackle
Guess it's not an acceptable risk anymore when someone could be toting a knife or gun, at the rate we see crazies these days.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guess it's not an acceptable risk anymore when someone could be toting a knife or gun, at the rate we see crazies these days.
Not to mention if they get hurt they can sue.
There have been bank robbers that have won lawsuits getting injured with the red dye pack exploding in their pockets, which I find amusing.

jaycism

jaycism

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol you are comparing this to columbine? that was a way different situation. if that kid wanted to harm anyone on the field he would be running around just for fun. he would have went for the left fielder and tried something. thats how anyone knew that his intent wasn't harm. there was an incident last year or a few years back where a fan attacked the first base coach. you knew his intent. what happened to the good ole tackle?

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The kid got exactly what he deserved. You can never tell what a person is going to do regardless of whether or not that person is a teenager.

Anybody remember the father and son that ran onto the field and beat the ever loving crap out of a Royals coach?

Did anybody see that the idiot kid called his father and asked whether or not that he should do it?

If a 30 year old man did this, would you all be singing a differnt tune? Probably.

This kid got what he deserved and I hope he at least spent the night in jail.

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they should use them big ass bean bags and aim for the head. If that's too harsh, then start showing them on TV in the middle of a tazer induced crappy flop and maybe it will keep these dumb asses off the field.

Option #2 turn the players loose on these idiots. Especially any pitchers that throw 100 MPH. OR any hitter with 30+ HR the year before.

That dipshit got what he deserved!!!!

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The kid got exactly what he deserved. You can never tell what a person is going to do regardless of whether or not that person is a teenager.

Anybody remember the father and son that ran onto the field and beat the ever loving crap out of a Royals coach?

Did anybody see that the idiot kid called his father and asked whether or not that he should do it?

If a 30 year old man did this, would you all be singing a differnt tune? Probably.

This kid got what he deserved and I hope he at least spent the night in jail.

^^^ see my first post ITT, i also said something about the father and son back in 2002, two great minds think alike :D and i mentioned the kid calling his dad too ;)

CheeseConey

CheeseConey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The kid was surrounded and had no where to go. There was no need to tase him. He couldn't run forever. Didn't look like a threat to anyone. The cop was definitely in the wrong here.