The PGA screw this up

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The PGA screwed this up

I don't watch golf on a regular basis usually just the majors (U.S. Open, British Open, Master's and the PGA Championship) I think the PGA made a mistake in a ruling on sunday that cost Dustin Johnson a spot in the playoff and a chance at victory. The story is below with video, now I believe that if your gonna consider an area being a sandtrap then a couple things have to happen, first you cannot allow spectators to stand in the sand trap, second the sand trap needs to be clearly identified as such, Third it needs to be kept raked like any other sand trap. By the ruling they made at that course it could be considered a sand trap if a player were to take out a divot and expose the sandy ground and a ball were to land into it. Now they say they had posted signs in the locker room and various places stating that areas with sand were considered a sand trap but thats just not acceptable in my opinion. The PGA maticulasly word every rule so its clearly defined, I dont think you can say any area with sand is a sand trap. Just a horrible ruling IMO. Dustin Johnson got screwed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/d...les-violation-costs-him-a-sho?urn=golf-262517

Last edited:
wrung24

wrung24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it was a poor decision in the first place, but I think it was the right one. The problem is the design of the course, some of the bunkers are just in ridiculous places, it's just stupid.

I also think that maybe for once the caddy is to blame for not having noticed it was maybe a bunker, had the crowd just moved back like 10 yards, it would have been clear it was a bunker.

I'm just glad he didn't make the putt, not that it changes anything for the player.

BTW I think Europe will crush US in the ryder cup this year.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the call is not made on Friday, it should not be made on Sunday.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I watched this happen and as an avid golfer, I can confidently say that the area Dustin was in was more "waste area" than bunker. If the gallery was trampling all over it and it was well outside the ropes, it should never be designated as a bunker. Galleries are not allowed to be standing in bunkers in PGA events, and if they are allowed to do so, then the "bunker" in question becomes a waste area, outside the rules of a normal hazard.

Though Dustin and/or his caddie should have asked the nearby rules official for a ruling on wether or not that actually was a "bunker in play" prior to selecting any clubs and considering his shot. Just to be safe. But I know if I were him, I would have never assumed it was a bunker.

L

liamkg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was the right ruling ever 1 had a letter placed in their lockers clearly stating that fact that all bunkers off the course to expect tyre marks foot/heel prints Johnson made a huge mistake and it's his and his caddie fault not the PGA

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the call is not made on Friday, it should not be made on Sunday.

When wasn't the same ruling made? As long as it was consistent and the players/caddies were aware of it, the ruling was correct. It may have been a bad rule to begin with but they have to enforce it regardless.

A

AntiKhrist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that he was screwed! It's even worse that it happened in a major. I think the PGA owes him something!

CntryBoys

CntryBoys

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the ruling that was made.

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sucks that a major event result could be affected by a ruling like that, but there was a notice in the locker room to remind the players. Maybe no one read it, but ignorance is no excuse.

Then again, golf has some pretty silly rules, including the ones that occassionally get players disqualified for not filling out their scorecards correctly. Wouldn't it be awesome to see the Lakers give up the NBA title when Phil Jackson forgets to sign his scorecard, or something ridiculous like that.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the problem is the pga pretty much announced to all the golfers before the event began that all the sand, outside of the ropes or inside, trampled by the crowd or not, was a hazard. Having done so, I'm sure once the grounding was brought to their attention, they knew that if they didn't rule it a penalty, some journalist would have noticed and given them crap about it. It sucks for that guy and (imo) it is a dumb rule, but they had no choice. It was the right (and only) call.

-n

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the problem is the pga pretty much announced to all the golfers before the event began that all the sand, outside of the ropes or inside, trampled by the crowd or not, was a hazard. Having done so, I'm sure once the grounding was brought to their attention, they knew that if they didn't rule it a penalty, some journalist would have noticed and given them crap about it. It sucks for that guy and (imo) it is a dumb rule, but they had no choice. It was the right (and only) call.

-n
BS they marked every water hazard on it, it was just the PGA being a bunch of lazy A$$'$ like they are 99.9% of the time.
The SAND was PUT there by the CROWD waking in a sand TRAP...
Dumb RULE, Don't they have SAND in the whole golf course, so AKA one big sand trap by their rules....:D

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BS they marked every water hazard on it, it was just the PGA being a bunch of lazy A$$'$ like they are 99.9% of the time.
The SAND was PUT there by the CROWD waking in a sand TRAP...
Dumb RULE, Don't they have SAND in the whole golf course, so AKA one big sand trap by their rules....:D

i don't really get how they were being lazy. did you expect them to put a little sign by all the 1000+ bunkers that said, 'don't ground your club dumb ass'? golf has rules. the pga followed them, and johnson didn't. end of story

-n

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When wasn't the same ruling made? As long as it was consistent and the players/caddies were aware of it, the ruling was correct. It may have been a bad rule to begin with but they have to enforce it regardless.

What I was trying to say was the if it was the 10th hole of his round on Friday , it does not get called

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I was trying to say was the if it was the 10th hole of his round on Friday , it does not get called

Tend to doubt this. They don't get pickier as the tournament goes on. Unfortunately for Dustin he didn't bother to even ask a Marshall. One is assigned to each group for such decisions. They posted this all over the player's locker rooms warning them about the course and the sand traps. http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story...PGA-dustin-johnson-bunker-ruling-right-081610With $1,350,000 at stake for first wouldn't you at least take the time to ask "is this a hazard?":confused:

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Again I should explain better, the only reason it got called was because of the cameras Which would not be there on Friday following him

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again I should explain better, the only reason it got called was because of the cameras Which would not be there on Friday following him

Just asking. Are you saying the PGA officials made this ruling because it was the last day of the tournament, possible win or playoff, and caught on camera? So conspiracy? :confused:

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No. I am just saying that he does not get re penalty on Friday

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. I am just saying that he does not get re penalty on Friday

He should get the penalty regardless of the day. Like I said earlier, each group has a Marshall assigned to them to watch for such infractions. If this happened on Sunday and he was not in contention it would not have been such a big deal. Giving the circumstances it became a very big deal aka debatable topic. :)

Last edited:
kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i don't really get how they were being lazy. did you expect them to put a little sign by all the 1000+ bunkers that said, 'don't ground your club dumb ass'? golf has rules. the pga followed them, and johnson didn't. end of story

-n
Even if the sand was not there at the start of the game ??
What does the rule to don't ground your club mean?? hit the ball but not the sand? I don't watch a lot of golf so i don't know what they mean.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if the sand was not there at the start of the game ??
What does the rule to don't ground your club mean?? hit the ball but not the sand? I don't watch a lot of golf so i don't know what they mean.

Means you can't touch the sand with your club before you hit the ball, as in during a practice swing. The reason being is these guys could get a feel of the consistency of the sand, i.e wet, dry etc and adjust their swing accordingly.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If that was a "bunker", are they going to call every small puddle a water hazard, and rule it accordingly?:eek:

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If that was a "bunker", are they going to call every small puddle a water hazard, and rule it accordingly?:eek:

That's a great question...

It was unfortunate for Dustin Johnson, but at the end of the day...It's the rule. But I think he should have at least thrown a chair out of the office where he fixed the score....ohhh Sorry, things like that only happens in Baseball!!

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The correct call was made simply because it's the rules. With that being said, I thought it was really messed up. I was watching live when he hit that shot and the thought of him being in a bunker never crossed my mind. It didn't appear that he was in a bunker at all. How many times have you seen a bunker shot with a dozen or more fans in the bunker with the golfer? In my opinion, the rules official dropped the ball on this one. I know he's not there to babysit, but still.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would agree with the call if that was a "bunker" but it is not, in my opinion.

As I have always understood it, the bunkers a course has to offer are denoted on the back of the score card as such. I would be willing to be if you looked at the back of this courses card, that "bunker" is Not, denoted.