Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
True, pit bulls were originally bred to fight in the 1800's, but people were also used as slaves in the 1800's.. I like to think we have come a long way from that point in history. The forcing of an animal (or person for that matter) to fight to the death is wrong, and should have harsh consequences.

Michael Vick did his time and admitted he was wrong. That's fine, go on with your life. And yes, I agree people should get 2nd chances, and he has by only getting a 2 year prison sentence. He's back in he NFL, he has continued on with his life.. this is his second chance. His second chance is not to be included with owning a dog, or any animal, imo. As I stated before, people who shoot other people or people who drive drunk causing a fatal accident, who may spend some time in jail and may get out to get their 2nd chance.. will not (or should not) own another gun or car (respectively), just like Michael Vick should never own another animal.

I totally agree with a dog owner being the major part of the problem with a dog. Pits are very loyal, and they will listen to their master.

My question is.. does anyone here think that if Vick and his buddies never got caught, that he would have realized what he was doing was wrong and quit? I don't.. I think he would still be doing the dog fights.

Heres my 2c on the subject.People deserve forgiveness and 2nd chances.Where would alot of us be,if we did not get a 2nd chance?Forgive and you will be forgiven.
Plus,I really doubt Vick doing any wrong,realizing the entire world is watching him now.
On pitbulls-This breed has a tendancy to fight bred into them.But its up to the owner of the dog and how the dog is raised.If neglected,they are extremely vicious,if they are raised as part of the family,they are some of the best ,kindest dogs you can own.They are territorial if a strange dog or animal comes around tho.This can be a good thing.I highly doubt a coyote sneaking around your house,if ya got a pitbull runin loose.
I dont have any pets,but I raised pitbulls as a teenager/young man and the only thing wrong with pitbulls are their owners.Some are good and some are bad,and its the bad ones you hear about.

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree with this...I wouldn't trust Michael Vick with a fake dog, much less a real one! :(
True, pit bulls were originally bred to fight in the 1800's, but people were also used as slaves in the 1800's.. I like to think we have come a long way from that point in history. The forcing of an animal (or person for that matter) to fight to the death is wrong, and should have harsh consequences.

Michael Vick did his time and admitted he was wrong. That's fine, go on with your life. And yes, I agree people should get 2nd chances, and he has by only getting a 2 year prison sentence. He's back in he NFL, he has continued on with his life.. this is his second chance. His second chance is not to be included with owning a dog, or any animal, imo. As I stated before, people who shoot other people or people who drive drunk causing a fatal accident, who may spend some time in jail and may get out to get their 2nd chance.. will not (or should not) own another gun or car (respectively), just like Michael Vick should never own another animal.

I totally agree with a dog owner being the major part of the problem with a dog. Pits are very loyal, and they will listen to their master.

My question is.. does anyone here think that if Vick and his buddies never got caught, that he would have realized what he was doing was wrong and quit? I don't.. I think he would still be doing the dog fights.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree that people deserve second chances. But there are certain situations with superstar athletes where they talk about "redemption" and I always wonder just how exactly they went about redeeming themselves, ya know? It seems all the redemption focus is on the field, and not actually on what's actually going on in their personal lives. Just saying.

B

ballers101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But he has changed and the media is all over him, he's not that stupid. And those people who rape children, they are considered to be...sociopaths and cannot control themselves they have a mental problem. Even though Vick may not be totally sane he is a man who deserves a second chance. Look at the way he's playing football right now, he's playing the best football in his life, he's not going to throw that away again. He knows everyones watching now.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
But he has changed and the media is all over him, he's not that stupid. And those people who rape children, they are considered to be...sociopaths and cannot control themselves they have a mental problem. Even though Vick may not be totally sane he is a man who deserves a second chance. Look at the way he's playing football right now, he's playing the best football in his life, he's not going to throw that away again. He knows everyones watching now.

You're right.. since he's playing good football, we should let him have a dog (/end sarcasm)....... athletes and celebs should not be given special treatment.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

quote]

Pretty sure that any 'real' pitbull (many aren't ) doesn't need to be 'forced to fight'... it's actually the exact opposite > denying them physical contact is the opposite of their nature.
Also, 'true' dogfighting isn't 'fighting to the death'. If a dog doesn't scratch it is disqualified & the other dog wins. Quite a few fighting dog owners do put their dogs down after they lose, but usually because the dog is no longer of any value/use to them (yes it's sad/cruel/inhumane)... they can no longer fight it (usually once a dog quits... it will quit again. Also, can't be used in a breeding program as it isn't worth breeding too. Just wanted to clarify a common misbelief > dogs are rarely fought to the death (if ever) yes they will often die as a result of injury (usually more because of shock & dehydration) from the fight 'if' they aren't receiving adequate care.

Do I think the guy should be allowed to own a dog > NOPE!

Last edited:
Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pretty sure that any 'real' pitbull (many aren't ) doesn't need to be 'forced to fight'... it's actually the exact opposite > denying them physical contact is the opposite of their nature.
Also, 'true' dogfighting isn't 'fighting to the death'. If a dog doesn't scratch it is disqualified & the other dog wins. Quite a few fighting dog owners do put their dogs down after they lose, but usually because the dog is no longer of any value/use to them (yes it's sad/cruel/inhumane)... they can no longer fight it (usually once a dog quits... it will quit again. Also, can't be used in a breeding program as it isn't worth breeding too. Just wanted to clarify a common misbelief > dogs are rarely fought to the death (if ever) yes they will often die as a result of injury (usually more because of shock & dehydration) from the fight 'if' they aren't receiving adequate care.

Do I think the guy should be allowed to own a dog > NOPE!

Dogs fighting until their bloodied up and beaten severely to where there faces look like they've been slid across cheese graters isn't much better than fighting to the death. We've gotten a few dogs at Animal Haven that have been in the pits and were torn up pretty bad.

Pitbulls are usually just mainly dog aggressive, with humans, they are loving and loyal (I said most, not all.. there are pits who don't like anyone - people and other dogs alike, most who were trained that way to hate everyone except their owner.. and there are both dogs and cats who just don't like animals or people at all).. but the same can be said about people.

And yes, they are forced to fight, because they are put in that situation. The dogs didn't put themselves in that situation. People did.

But, I understand what you're saying in your points, PO.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This pit would win every dog fight.... she has a laser eye!!!!!!!!!

63449_132829156777297_100001506396536_188313_3057290_n.jpg

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I used to (for ~20yrs.) breed dogs, work dogs > (French Ring, weight pull, IronDog, Catchdog (wild boar)), train dogs (obedience & protection), show dogs, put on dogshows, etc. Have owned an ass't., Tosa Inu, Neopolitan Mastiffs,.. in earlier days > Bandogs, Pitbulls,.... but mostly (& eventually, 'only') AmericanBulldogs.
imo...who cares if this guy has rehabilitated himself... & that folks think he should have a 'second chance'. What about the second chance none of those dogs will ever receive? Fk him I say... ban him for life & make an example out of him. Next thing you know he'll be biting off a dog's ear, getting his face tattied up, then driving down the highway in a white bronco, holding up a glove that supposedly doesn't fit when he has his fingers stretched out.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
And yes, they are forced to fight, because they are put in that situation. The dogs didn't put themselves in that situation. People did.

This ^ is true! But at the same time I know for sure that quite a few of my dogs would've been leaping into a pit if they had the chance/choice.

B

ballers101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're right.. since he's playing good football, we should let him have a dog (/end sarcasm)....... athletes and celebs should not be given special treatment.

Not because he has played good football, but mainly because he understands now that he has got something large to lose and every single person will be watching him.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not because he has played good football, but mainly because he understands now that he has got something large to lose and every single person will be watching him.

Like a cheating husband or wife.. he's only sorry because he got caught.

B

ballers101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey that's your opinion, I think that this whole Vick thing has been blown way outta proportion. This was the biggest gain for all of the animal lovers, they have been basically put aside for quite some time. So once a huge NFL sensation in Vick comes along and people find out he's been torturing dogs, they come out and they get all the media they have needed.This Vick stupidity has basically given them what them the media coverage that they have been dying for. Even though there are far more crazier people who have done far more crazier things, the media has blown this Micheal Vick Dog Era wayyy out of proportion.

Dunninger

Dunninger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He should have to get instructions by Caesar Milan before being able to attain a dog.

I'd love to see that show.. Little Caesar would probably lose his shit.. and the camera guys would have to pull him off of Vick.. LMAO...

I'd be really surprised if Caesar would even do a show with him to be honest.. love Dog Whisperer though :D

Nexus6

Nexus6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd love to see that show.. Little Caesar would probably lose his shit.. and the camera guys would have to pull him off of Vick.. LMAO...

I'd be really surprised if Caesar would even do a show with him to be honest.. love Dog Whisperer though :D

Yeah that would be great for ratings . I think Caesar loves challenges so he probably would do it.