Dez Bryant Refuses to Carry Pads

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's interesting how Matt Ryan wasn't mentioned. Did that team have a veteran QB the year Matt Ryan was drafted? I also feel in general white players get in a whole lot less trouble than black players when doing the same thing. You can be sure the media would spin it in a more positive direction imo if Ryan was doing it his rookie year.

To be fair yahoo sports applauded Dez Bryant for stepping up and not caving in to tradition.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's interesting how Matt Ryan wasn't mentioned. Did that team have a veteran QB the year Matt Ryan was drafted? I also feel in general white players get in a whole lot less trouble than black players when doing the same thing. You can be sure the media would spin it in a more positive direction imo if Ryan was doing it his rookie year.

To be fair yahoo sports applauded Dez Bryant for stepping up and not caving in to tradition.

yea, a veteran named Joey Harrington!

LMAO - and Byron Leftwich.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well here's one person who hopes he doesn't cave into tradition this season when he makes a catch for a first down. Traditionally todays players gyrate around like their jockstraps are full of bees or something. Some of these guys celebrate a first down like it was a game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl. Way to go dude, you caught a pass.:congrats: Isn't that what you get paid millions to do.:confused:

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What on earth is so noble about bucking tradition? Like Dawgbones suggested, it is not like they were gonna pin him down and shave him. This was simple stuff. The tradition means a lot to so many, even though he may think it's ridiculous. Unless it goes against your grain ethically or morally (and hard to imagine but possible), just do it. Respect the tradition. It is piddly stuff. Hang tough where it counts. Pick yer fights, know what I mean. This one is silly/ridiculous. Although like KMC brought up, it may have been the fact it was Roy Williams, which I also find hilarious.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fwiw, the public make a bigger deal about these kinds of things. We take it on more than the players actually do

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dez is going to be out for 4 o 6 weeks with ankle injury

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What on earth is so noble about bucking tradition? Like Dawgbones suggested, it is not like they were gonna pin him down and shave him. This was simple stuff. The tradition means a lot to so many, even though he may think it's ridiculous. Unless it goes against your grain ethically or morally (and hard to imagine but possible), just do it. Respect the tradition. It is piddly stuff. Hang tough where it counts. Pick yer fights, know what I mean. This one is silly/ridiculous. Although like KMC brought up, it may have been the fact it was Roy Williams, which I also find hilarious.

<3 4 DB and the highlight:D It is all about respect:)

wayschaff

wayschaff

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also feel in general white players get in a whole lot less trouble than black players when doing the same thing.

im guessing you werent paying attention last year when wes welker got fined for doing a snow angel in the end zone while they were playing the titans?

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im guessing you werent paying attention last year when wes welker got fined for doing a snow angel in the end zone while they were playing the titans?

You did see the in general part, correct?

A

AAChipMagnet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never understood that. What does stupid hazing have to do with paying dues? He's there to play football, not play junior high school kiddie-time stuff.

Anyway, good for him.

Totally agree with this. Bad enough they make waaaaay too much money for what they do. It sets a bad example for the kids of today. Has anyone seen the kind of hazing goin on in High Schools lately? Personally, If Roy woulda asked me to carry his pads, I woulda picked em up and walked right into the clubhouse and put em in the toilet for him.

wayschaff

wayschaff

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so whats the difference in the nfl players hazing rookies or college fraternities hazing new pledges? i've heard some of the frat house hazing are far worse then having to carry pads to and from practice. yet no one says anything about that becuase its "part of the tradition". not like it matters now. he wont be playing for a while anyway.

Kebo11K

Kebo11K

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Roy Williams isnt playing good enough for anyone to be carring his pads

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've heard some of the frat house hazing are far worse then having to carry pads to and from practice. yet no one says anything about that becuase its "part of the tradition".

You don't hear about it because it doesn't make the news.

But I'll give you a "first time for everything" moment right here and say that any sort of hazing is pretty much bull. There. Now you can't say that no one says it. ;)

And Dive...I'm sorry, but all your points really have nothing to do with hazing. Team spirit doesn't demand hazing, teamwork doesn't demand hazing, sportsmanship doesn't demand hazing. All you have left is, "It's tradition, so people should just shut up and do it." which is probably the worst reason possible for just doing something.

Personally, I applaud the guy. Granted, carrying pads is pretty darn mellow as far as hazing goes, but the very concepts of hazing and "paying your dues" are nothing more than egotistical jerks hoping to bully a new guy around and get some laughs before the new guy realizes he doesn't have to take their crap.

But anyway, it doesn't matter, and I'm sure most people don't actually care all that much. The only guys getting all worked up are the ones upset that they missed out on some quality bullying. =D

Last edited:
Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And Dive...I'm sorry, but all your points really have nothing to do with hazing. Team spirit doesn't demand hazing, teamwork doesn't demand hazing, sportsmanship doesn't demand hazing. All you have left is, "It's tradition, so people should just shut up and do it." which is probably the worst reason possible for just doing something.

Personally, I applaud the guy. Granted, carrying pads is pretty darn mellow as far as hazing goes, but the very concepts of hazing and "paying your dues" are nothing more than egotistical jerks hoping to bully a new guy around and get some laughs before the new guy realizes he doesn't have to take their crap.

But anyway, it doesn't matter, and I'm sure most people don't actually care all that much. The only guys getting all worked up are the ones upset that they missed out on some quality bullying. =D

It does if the rest of the team thinks it does. 'Spirit' is not a tangible thing. So you're saying that every player that is no longer a rookie is an egotistical jerk!? Every player that had carried pads and now expects the same of the rookie, for a few good-natured chuckles? This is not full-blown humiliation, same rules apply from 1st round QB to to 7th round DE. Nor is there any pain or massive quantities of alcohol involved.

Agreed on this.... nobody cares, I certainly don't. There is no right or wrong here. This is JMHO, my 2 cents. If it's me, I don't make waves, I'm not being singled out according to my worth or ability. I'm honored to be there to do it, just for now.

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's smart for a rookie to piss off his teammates like that. It shows immaturity and bad judgment. Carrying pads around in training camp wouldn't have lasted long. Bryant seems like an idiot.

F

FORZA MIKE

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just want to say the cowboys suck DENVER BALLLLLLLLLLLLLL WOOOOOOOOOOO

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's smart for a rookie to piss off his teammates like that. It shows immaturity and bad judgment. Carrying pads around in training camp wouldn't have lasted long. Bryant seems like an idiot.

I wonder how big of a news it would have become if Tebow refused to get that haircut? I bet the media would have made it into a big event.

L

lobsterbud12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tebow ended up getting all his hair shaved off, so that monk haircut is no more! :0

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This thread is over 1 month old, you may consider starting a new thread.

I considered it. :p Thought some of you might enjoy this especially those of us who said "just carry the pads.";)

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=320252&feedID=4680

I was in the 'just carry it' camp. I believe the dinner is part of the rookie thing anyway. Only he probably paid 5x what he might have if he hadn't declined the pads carry. Surf & turf, Dom Perignon and the most expensive wine you got.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in the 'just carry it' camp. I believe the dinner is part of the rookie thing anyway. Only he probably paid 5x what he might have if he hadn't declined the pads carry. Surf & turf, Dom Perignon and the most expensive wine you got.

Yes you were.:D The funny thing is that Dez invited his offensive teammates to make up for his blunder and Roy Williams invited the defense to help pad the bill;) May be a silly ritual but it didn't have to be such an expensive one:p

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pay now or pay later. Maybe Bryant learned his lesson now :)