Dez Bryant Refuses to Carry Pads

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks to me like Bryant wants to be a leader, not a follower. Probably a good thing for him. Just because everyone before him didnt have the nuts to stand up for themselves, doesnt mean he has to take it.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have just one question.

Who cares about Dez Bryant and the Cowboys???

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well...at first, my thoughts were "wow, what a little bitch...pay your dues and get some respect." Then I thought about how funny it was that Roy Williams was the one trying to get him to carry the pads. LOL

If it was a real veteran that was good (hell, Miles Austin would have done just fine) and not a 1st round bust, then I'd have a problem with it. But the fact that he did it to Roy Williams speaks volumes to me.

Dez Bryant will take Roy Williams' job by mid-season. Calling it now.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well...at first, my thoughts were "wow, what a little bitch...pay your dues and get some respect." Then I thought about how funny it was that Roy Williams was the one trying to get him to carry the pads. LOL

If it was a real veteran that was good (hell, Miles Austin would have done just fine) and not a 1st round bust, then I'd have a problem with it. But the fact that he did it to Roy Williams speaks volumes to me.

Is this supposed to come as a shock to me?

I already knew that.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree. I liked what Herm Edwards said. He said Bryant should have carried the pads, but told Roy Williams that he'd be carrying his pads after he beats him out for #1 receiver.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well...at first, my thoughts were "wow, what a little bitch...pay your dues and get some respect."

I never understood that. What does stupid hazing have to do with paying dues? He's there to play football, not play junior high school kiddie-time stuff.

Anyway, good for him.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously some wanna be superstar lemon who thinks, the world owes me a living so give it to me, like the respect that I haven't really earned yet ( though I demand you respect me ).

Obviously? How? And as for respect, how do you propose he earn it? By playing the game he's being paid to play, or by joining in silly school yard hazing antics?

A

AntiKhrist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's kind of a right of passage in the NFL(any sport really). You have to pay your dues just like everyone else. I understand his point, but come on, man. Fall in and it won't be a big deal. Especially since he hasn't even played a single down in the pros.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to pay your dues just like everyone else.

I would expect "paying my dues" to be...you know...playing the game well.

I wouldn't expect "paying my dues" to be having to humor grown men as they act like juveniles.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would expect "paying my dues" to be...you know...playing the game well.

I wouldn't expect "paying my dues" to be having to humor grown men as they act like juveniles.

no, paying your dues in the NFL (imo) is carrying your veteran teammate's pads to and from the practice field, picking up a dinner check or 2, and showing some respect.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no, paying your dues in the NFL (imo) is carrying your veteran teammate's pads to and from the practice field, picking up a dinner check or 2, and showing some respect.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I figured he was there to play in games to help the team and paying his dues would consist of...you know, playing in games, contributing to the team, all that stuff.

I guess the playground antics are all part of the ego stuff though.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I figured he was there to play in games to help the team and paying his dues would consist of...you know, playing in games, contributing to the team, all that stuff.

I guess the playground antics are all part of the ego stuff though.

Doesn't really have anything to do with anyone's ego except for the rookie's imo. They need to put it aside and know that the veteran's (normally) know far more than they do because the rookie has yet to play a down in the NFL. It's all out of respect. It's the same idea (more or less) as a quarterback taking his O-Line out for dinner.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They need to put it aside and know that the veteran's (normally) know far more than they do because the rookie has yet to play a down in the NFL.

And that's correct. To me that means he should listen to what they have to say, respect their opinions and advice, try to take what they say and apply it on the field, etc.

I don't see where that means that he should have to deal with childish hazing.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And that's correct. To me that means he should listen to what they have to say, respect their opinions and advice, try to take what they say and apply it on the field, etc.

I don't see where that means that he should have to deal with childish hazing.

It's all in the manner it was done. If say the veteran was like "hey rookie...take my pads to the practice field" -- I'd probably tell that veteran to go **** himself. If it's just an unwritten tradition that the rookie take's the vet's pads/playbook to and from the practice field (as I understand it to be), I don't see any problem with that, nor would I call it childish hazing.

I see your point, but it is what it is. All we can do is bitch lol.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's kind of a right of passage in the NFL(any sport really). You have to pay your dues just like everyone else. I understand his point, but come on, man. Fall in and it won't be a big deal. Especially since he hasn't even played a single down in the pros.

No you don't have to pay dues as a right of passage in the NFL. It's a job.

smeg

smeg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL......I don't know what you do for a living atlanta.....But I have had my fair share of jobs and I had to "pay dues" at each and every one of them.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL......I don't know what you do for a living atlanta.....But I have had my fair share of jobs and I had to "pay dues" at each and every one of them.

So you must have been paid millions then....

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What the hell is the bfd in carrying a teamates shoulder pads if you're a rookie. Thought it was a tradition of sorts. It's not like someone said I need to pin you down and shave your body. Dez is just acting like a punk because he's always (as most of these athletes have been) treated like they were "Gods" at an early age just because they have been given a talent to play a kids game at a very high level. If you want to be a "leader" act like one. And that includes humbling yourself until you are ready and able to take control. Btw receivers are never leaders .;)

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Great post, my sentiments exactly.

Doesn't really have anything to do with anyone's ego except for the rookie's imo. They need to put it aside and know that the veteran's (normally) know far more than they do because the rookie has yet to play a down in the NFL. It's all out of respect. It's the same idea (more or less) as a quarterback taking his O-Line out for dinner.

Respect and tradition. As sophomoric as it may seem, there are traditions in all sports. I was watching the MFL channel yesterday, and Marshall Faulk made the point that Tony Romo had to carry someone elses pads, named several more superstars that had to do it, and he himself had to do it. It's the rites of passage to the sense of belonging and team spirit. And to refuse can only foster the rest wondering, is 'he really a team player?'

What the hell is the bfd in carrying a teamates shoulder pads if you're a rookie. Thought it was a tradition of sorts. It's not like someone said I need to pin you down and shave your body. Dez is just acting like a punk because he's always (as most of these athletes have been) treated like they were "Gods" at an early age just because they have been given a talent to play a kids game at a very high level. If you want to be a "leader" act like one. And that includes humbling yourself until you are ready and able to take control. Btw receivers are never leaders .;)

+1. Shut up and do it. It's not even a 'leave your ego at the door' thing. It is just 'what is done' - and by all, even 1st round draft pics.

BTW, Bryant asserted that he did not know this was a tradition. Like they say 'Come awn, man'. I mean is he the only rookie there?

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So who's pads did Matt Ryan carry around?

Oh that's right - nobody's.

Some players don't have to pay dues!

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So who's pads did Matt Ryan carry around?

Oh that's right - nobody's.

Some players don't have to pay dues!

Oh come on now. :confused: Do you know for a fact that he didn't have to do ANYTHING last year as a rookie for other teammates? Maybe he didn't carry pads but I find it hard to believe he was immediately granted veteran status.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh come on now. :confused: Do you know for a fact that he didn't have to do ANYTHING last year as a rookie for other teammates? Maybe he didn't carry pads but I find it hard to believe he was immediately granted veteran status.

Well he did do one thing. He led the Falcons to the playoffs.....