Another Perfect Game - Or Not?

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did anyone see that the Detroit Tigers' Armando Galarraga threw a perfect game against the Cleveland Indians tonight? Except that the first base umpire blew the call on the final out, signaling safe on a play where Galarraga clearly beat the runner to the bag with the ball in his glove.

Galarraga retired the next hitter to end the game and preserve the shutout. But those are a dime a dozen. No-hitters are a once in a career thing for the luckiest of pitchers. And there have only been 20 perfect games in the history of the sport (oddly two of them were thrown last month).

Should the league intercede, change the ruling, and give Galarraga a perfect game? Or are umpire errors as much a part of the game as what the players do - we say oops and move on?

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The league should def fix the ruling but it wont happen. Poor guy :(

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Baseball is the one sport that needs replay the most. The game is already slow as hell, and there are so many close calls that replay would enhance.

In other news, I'm glad that the steroid era is over. Pitching, defense, and tactical/fundamental baseball (stealing bases, bunting over runners, ect.) is way more exciting to watch than 'roided out guys swinging for the fences.

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think the league will intercede, although they should. Selig is a purist. He believes a call is a call and he will apologize profusely for the umps bad calls...but it will end there. That's if he ever comes out of hiding. Galarraga certainly deserves the perfect game, but even if the league reverses it today or tomorrow, it's kind of tainted, no?

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The commissioner must do the right thing: overturn Joyce’s call and credit Galarraga with the perfect game he deserves. It's time for MLB to step up and use IR just like the NBA, NHL and NFL, you don't need IR for things like balls and strikes but for a game changing play or to avoid another BLOWN call on A PERFECT GAME, A PERFECT GAME SELIG, A PERFECT GAME!!!!

Perfect moment stolen in time
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=5245331

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is akin (IMHO) to all those who died in the electric chair wrongly. :eek:

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yikes...and it wasn't even close.

Or are umpire errors as much a part of the game as what the players do

yep.

R

rodpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen so many blown calls, missed calls, and ego-related defiant calls this year in MLB that perhaps there should be an investigation into umpire corruption. The loss of the perfect game is just the largest and latest misuse of the authority allowed to these egotistical buffoons. What have the league officials got to hide that they won't permit IR. This makes MLB umpires appear either crooked or biased; neither of which is good for baseball. The BlackSox scandal could also see a BlackSuit scandal.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ripped off! I think I could have made that call. Wasn't even close. The sad fact is that it will likely be more famous than if the call was correctly made.

To bad the Commissioner couldn't step up to the plate.

M

mig2169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is horrible, and should be given the perfect game, but nervousbudseilig will drop the ball somehow.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So Bud "Chickenshit" Selig still can't make a call to fix a wrong. Apparently if he stands at the plate he needs 6 balls to be thrown for a walk because he's got none in his shorts.:mad: Always has been and always will be a douche. And I'm an Indians fan but this was total BS. Props to Galarraga...he forgave the ump who admitted he made a bad call. Would have been a record.

jbatesm

jbatesm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sucks that Galarraga does not get the credit for such an accomplishment. But, props to him for being classy and for the actual performance.

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate to play devil's advocate (and its not because I'm an Indians fan), but once a call is made it can't be overturned the next day. Overturning one bad call could open the door to overturning other bad calls in the past in more meaningful games than this one.

I too am disappointed that he did not get credit for the perfect game he deserved. I also give Galarraga credit for not slamming the umps for screwing up the call, something that is commonplace in sports nowadays.
Another big credit is owed to the fans of Detroit, who some actually cheered for the ump when he stepped behind the plate the next day. I think a lot of good came out from this unfortunate event.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look the umpires making the bad call is part of the game and in no circumstance should Selig overturn or change the play. It happened, deal with it. The best thing about this situation is how the pitcher handled the situation, with a smile and pure class.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate to play devil's advocate (and its not because I'm an Indians fan), but once a call is made it can't be overturned the next day. Overturning one bad call could open the door to overturning other bad calls in the past in more meaningful games than this one.

I too am disappointed that he did not get credit for the perfect game he deserved. I also give Galarraga credit for not slamming the umps for screwing up the call, something that is commonplace in sports nowadays.
Another big credit is owed to the fans of Detroit, who some actually cheered for the ump when he stepped behind the plate the next day. I think a lot of good came out from this unfortunate event.

Look the umpires making the bad call is part of the game and in no circumstance should Selig overturn or change the play. It happened, deal with it. The best thing about this situation is how the pitcher handled the situation, with a smile and pure class.

Understand and agree...today;) Especially about how Galarraga, the Ump, and the fans handled it. Yesterday was a vent. Selig tilts me. Could actually be a great lesson for kids and sports. Still a call can be overturned in baseball, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Tar_Incident

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understand and agree...today;) Especially about how Galarraga, the Ump, and the fans handled it. Yesterday was a vent. Selig tilts me. Could actually be a great lesson for kids and sports. Still a call can be overturned in baseball, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Tar_Incident

Just to play "Devil's Advocate" the Pine Tar Incident was a rules call in which the umpire incorrectly applied the rule. According to the rule, the bat should have simply been removed from the game but the home run should have stood. Technically no rules were broken here, just a bad judgement call.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to play "Devil's Advocate" the Pine Tar Incident was a rules call in which the umpire incorrectly applied the rule. According to the rule, the bat should have simply been removed from the game but the home run should have stood. Technically no rules were broken here, just a bad judgement call.

Excellent response! And that is why you are known as Gr3atness;) Just to play "Devil's Advocate" this was also a "bad judgement call" So why not up for review/reversal:confused:

C

cheermom48017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haiku to selig

For sure we hate you
A lot more than joyce ,selig
Go shove it weasel

ckingriches

ckingriches

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In game 3 of the hockey finals, a goal was scored but not immediately counted. Play continued until a natural stoppage, which seemed like a full minute. At that point, the play was reviewed, deemed a good goal, counted, and play was restarted from the point of the goal. In other words, all that happened subsequently was erased as if it had never happened.

If a baseball game does not survive the fifth inning due to rain or other unforeseen conditions, the statistics for that game are tossed in the garbage as if the at bats had never occurred and the game is replayed.

Granted there are already rules in place to allow these things happen, but there are still precedents for wiping out activities that have already occurred. In my opinion, the commissioner has the right, even the obligation, to do what's in the best interests of baseball.

To me, there is no downside to overturning the umpire's admitted error and declaring the game to have ended at that point. It wouldn't change the outcome of the game, it involves a historic event (given the rarity of perfect games) and it's the right thing to do.

For what it's worth, to those who say that umpire mistakes are a part of the game. I respectfully disagree. Rather, I suggest that umpire mistakes are a part of the monitoring of the game. Baseball exists for the players and the fans. The umpires are there to ensure fairness and the integrity of the game - in this case, and only this case, I say rewrite the facts and give Galarraga his due.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent response! And that is why you are known as Gr3atness;) Just to play "Devil's Advocate" this was also a "bad judgement call" So why not up for review/reversal:confused:

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In game 3 of the hockey finals, a goal was scored but not immediately counted. Play continued until a natural stoppage, which seemed like a full minute. At that point, the play was reviewed, deemed a good goal, counted, and play was restarted from the point of the goal. In other words, all that happened subsequently was erased as if it had never happened.

If a baseball game does not survive the fifth inning due to rain or other unforeseen conditions, the statistics for that game are tossed in the garbage as if the at bats had never occurred and the game is replayed.

Granted there are already rules in place to allow these things happen, but there are still precedents for wiping out activities that have already occurred. In my opinion, the commissioner has the right, even the obligation, to do what's in the best interests of baseball.

To me, there is no downside to overturning the umpire's admitted error and declaring the game to have ended at that point. It wouldn't change the outcome of the game, it involves a historic event (given the rarity of perfect games) and it's the right thing to do.

For what it's worth, to those who say that umpire mistakes are a part of the game. I respectfully disagree. Rather, I suggest that umpire mistakes are a part of the monitoring of the game. Baseball exists for the players and the fans. The umpires are there to ensure fairness and the integrity of the game - in this case, and only this case, I say rewrite the facts and give Galarraga his due.

Nicely said. Saw the game and the announcers said if the Blackhawks had scored before the stoppage and review of the Flyers goal, the Blackhawks goal, would not count if the Flyers goal (the one under review) was in fact a goal. Omg does that make sense.:eek: Don't think I'll ever use the word goal more times in one sentence for the rest of my life:eek: Sorry for the derail. And thanks d'w for the highlighted portions...had a few libations in me so rules and bad judgement just seemed to go hand in hand at the time:cheers: Today we see the difference;)

djkismet

djkismet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think its completely obvious that bud selig can not overturn the game. the play can not b prostested. its a total shame and i admire the ump and the pitcher for how they both handled the matter! hats off to leiland and gallaraga for handling the matter like total class acts!

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't have a problem with a call being overturned as long as the game is not declared officially over. In your first example, the ruling occurred in a break during the game. In the instance of the "perfect" game, the manager can argue his case stopping play. The umps can make a decision as a group before another pitch is thrown. However, once it gets past that point, the decision is pretty much final.

ckingriches

ckingriches

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you that there is clearly no precedent in the rules to overturn the call after the game. However, my personal opinion is that Selig has an opportunity to do it anyway. And not only would I be okay with that, but I think that's what should happen. But I certainly understand your perspective and respect your opinion that disagrees with mine.

Top 10 Games