18 Game Schedule good for the NFL?

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApgBn8sxZoymINUWEz3WE005nYcB?slug=ap-nfllabortalks

I've been having this debate with my friend, and the way I see the issue is that it would be a terrible disaster for the NFL to have a 18 game schedule.

Some Pros:
Increased revenue, 2 less pre-season games

Many Cons:
More superstar players getting hurt and lost for the year, old historic records changed/demolished, more meaningless games for teams out of the playoffs...just to put it into perspective, 2 nfl games is the equivalent of adding 20 mlb games or 10 nba games to the regular season. Could you imagine either of those other sports doing that? I can't either.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApgBn8sxZoymINUWEz3WE005nYcB?slug=Absolute Poker-nfllabortalks

I've been having this debate with my friend, and the way I see the issue is that it would be a terrible disaster for the NFL to have a 18 game schedule.

Some Pros:
Increased revenue, 2 less pre-season games

Many Cons:
More superstar players getting hurt and lost for the year, old historic records changed/demolished, more meaningless games for teams out of the playoffs...just to put it into perspective, 2 nfl games is the equivalent of adding 20 mlb games or 10 nba games to the regular season. Could you imagine either of those other sports doing that? I can't either.

It's good for the NFL because fans want more games.

Period.

IMO.

(One huge problem - there can be no team activities until May 1st if there is an 18 game schedule)

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good for the NFL because fans want more games.

Period.

IMO.

(One huge problem - there can be no team activities until May 1st if there is an 18 game schedule)

Fans want more games, really? If anything, one of the best appeals to football imo is the short schedule of games, which makes each one more meaningful.

The main thing I heard is that fans are sick of paying for 2 meaningless preseason home games (they are forced to if they buy season packages). I think the best solution to that is to just cut the preseason schedule by 2 games and keep the 16 game regular season in tact. Of course the owners won't do that because in their eyes they will lose money, but in the long run they would gain by showing that they see the fans' needs and they're not all about the money (i know it's a catch 22 in some ways).

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All it means is that 2 of the preseason games will count as regular season games.

More effort, more intensity, maybe an extra home game.

I think it's a great idea.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's good for those people who hold season tickets & are currently gettin hosed.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's good for those people who hold season tickets & are currently gettin hosed.

+1

Why should I have to pay for 2 preseason games that don't count and I never attend?

Also, this way there's less of a chance of your franchise player getting hurt in a game that doesn't matter.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No thanks, that portion of people does not represent a large part of the overall NFL fan community.

Wow then who does represent it? People you know personally are part of it but the online yahoo community aren't?

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow then who does represent it? People you know personally are part of it but the online yahoo community aren't?

I said it doesn't represent a large part of the NFL community.

They are still part of it, but I'm not going to gauge what the entire population of NFL feels about an 18 game schedule off a yahoo sports group.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I said it doesn't represent a large part of the NFL community.

They are still part of it, but I'm not going to gauge what the entire population of NFL feels about an 18 game schedule off a yahoo sports group.

So what's your source then? You sound like you know it better, I'd just like an explanation besides just your personal opinion. Otherwise it just boils down to "I know it is because I say so."

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every person in section 321 in the Georgia Dome.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every person in section 321 in the Georgia Dome.

Lol. And that number would be...??? But seriously. I too would rather see them drop two meaningless preseason games, but they would need to increase the rosters, say to 60/62. Also if they do increase regular season they should add 2-4 more teams to the playoffs. This would help keep the fans interest if their team was one of those extra wilder cards;)

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't want more games...I want less ... Yes, Less pre-season games!!!

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol. And that number would be...??? But seriously. I too would rather see them drop two meaningless preseason games, but they would need to increase the rosters, say to 60/62. Also if they do increase regular season they should add 2-4 more teams to the playoffs. This would help keep the fans interest if their team was one of those extra wilder cards;)

That's a really long season for football. I think it's an interesting idea, but when would the season begin and when would it end?

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm 100% behind 18 games. That's 2 fewer meaningless, boring games to endure waiting on games that really matter.

As far as records go, doesn't really matter. The NFL has already expanded the schedule 2-3 times. It didn't matter then and doesn't matter now.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a really long season for football. I think it's an interesting idea, but when would the season begin and when would it end?

Good question! According to what goes on now it would have to be a late August start imo(basically staying on track with what they have) Stretching it too far into February not good especially for those outdoor teams, once again imo. Think they could easily schedule four playoff games on Sat./Sun., if they increased the numbers, to work it out in the early part. Oh yeah no two weeks between AFC/NFC championships and the Super Bowl. Waste of time and press. If you want to give players more time to recoup or the press more coverage...try Monday Night Super Bowl!

Last edited:
Dank Hugh

Dank Hugh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if it changes 2 retarded preseason games to real games... I'm all for it

making season ticket holders pay for all that useless preseason stuff
is the biggest ripoff in the NFL

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if it changes 2 retarded preseason games to real games... I'm all for it

making season ticket holders pay for all that useless preseason stuff
is the biggest ripoff in the NFL

I totally agree that it's a ripoff...I'm just thinking that the cons outweigh the pros. I think the best thing to do is cut 2 preseason games from the schedule (meaning ticket holders only have to pay for 1 preseason game). But I don't think the owners would ever go for that...

And atlantafalcons seems convinced that all the fans want to see 2 more regular season games. But like Hines Ward says there has to be a compromise for the players financially to play those 2 extra games. We'll see how everything plays out.

Top 10 Games