Would online poker be fairer without Huds?

C

coolcukes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HUD

I recently posted about "HUD" stating I didn't know what it was and thanks to this thread now I have a better understanding of it. My initial reaction is I don't like it but I am just now finding out about it and need to see one in action - I also agree if this is being used during a tourney I would like to know who is using it at the tables as well as any other type of mechanical aid being used.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not mechanical per se ....

I recently posted about "HUD" stating I didn't know what it was and thanks to this thread now I have a better understanding of it. My initial reaction is I don't like it but I am just now finding out about it and need to see one in action - I also agree if this is being used during a tourney I would like to know who is using it at the tables as well as any other type of mechanical aid being used.

It's really nothing more than a spreadsheet attached to a database.
Most sites do allow players to use them, simply cause they relay past info.
PokerTracker has a thirty day trial that has a hud. test it out, and see what you think.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
Anythimg used to enhance your play giving the player added advantage, should be Banned in my opinion.

bonekeeper

bonekeeper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It goes without saying, it would be more fair, since everybody is not using it.
My personal opinion is that, they should be banned from all poker sites to make the game more fun for everyone!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me its a silly idea, that poker should be "fair". The whole point of poker is, that its a mixture of skill and luck, so per definition it is never going to be "fair" in the sense, that everyone have the same chance of winning. People, who spend more time studying, improving and playing, and who are more talented and better at managing tilt, will always have a better chance of winning.

I also think, the ongoing war against HUDs with eg. partypoker moving to ban them is kind of like fighting the last war. HUDs are used by people, who like to play exploitative poker, but the current trend is definitely towards GTO style poker, and if HUDs are banned, this trend will just get even stronger.

This mean that serious players will then spend even more time using solver software, which they can do away from the table, and which poker sites can therefore not prevent. And then they will enter the tables and play like a perfect robot, which nobody can beat. I am not sure, why someone think, this is going to be more fun for recreational players than being exploited by someone using a HUD.

Also there are some wild imaginations among non HUD-users about, how powerfull a tool it really is. In reality its rare, that HUD-data affect the lines, I take in a hand, and when it happen, its mostly in hands against other regulars, who in all likelyhood are also using a HUD. Against recreational players I almost never have a big sample on them, and therefore all my HUD will tell me is, that this is someone playing to many hands, as recreational players tend to do.

There is also a more serious issue in the fact, that anti-HUD sites often resort to anonymous tables, because this is the only way to effectively enforce a ban on HUDs and tracking software. Anonymous tables are a haven for cheaters, since its difficult for other players to figure out, that something fishy is going on. And they certainly do not create a more natural playing environment, as anti-HUD advocates often claim is their goal.

At the end of the day market forces will determine, which games are played. Personally I think, a HUD is a usefull piece of software, and therefore I will continue to play on sites like 888 or Stars, that allow it.

Elcholu

Elcholu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really do not think the use of HUD's is a big advantage. In short, one must focus on his own game, and the analysis could be carried out quietly after each session.
The study of the opponent is also done in each session, with the reading of each hand, and put them in a range of hand as their game progresses, in the same way good players vary their game so there the software would not have any advantage.

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think any 3rd party programs should be allowed during games. After the fact analysis, of course but not while the games going. Its a game of wits and mind. If you cant remember that shit on your own......

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it will be more fair. But is that the question? Isn’t the real question “is it right?” I will probably use any tool that’s available when I get more serious. Until I am told to stop. As far as I know, those tools are available to everyone who goes and gets them. If you choose not to use them, that’s your choice. How do you fault others for using a tool that helps them when you could go get the same tool. Not much of a debate to me.

Id like to see Doyle bitch slap you. I get your argument, but old people dont just get tools from an App store just like you wouldnt ‘ get ‘ a wrench.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id like to see Doyle bitch slap you. I get your argument, but old people dont just get tools from an app store just like you wouldnt ‘ get ‘ a wrench.
I really don’t know what you’re saying here. I didn’t address “old” people. I’m pretty sure “everyone” includes everyone. Are you saying old people can’t use huds?

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its pretty basic, if its not part of the client it dosent belong.

Just because a person can get a poker site up and running dosent mean they can get a Hud up and running. Ive never tried but Ive tried other 3rd party programs for other things and with a lot you have to be fairly computer literate. They always seem to F-Up the program and you have to jump through a lot of computer hoops to get them integrated. Turns me off right away.

So yes, anyone can get them but lots don't want to be bothered. It hurts the game.

Like any other 3rd party program its a crutch at best but closer to a cheat. It also a slippery slope to real bonofied cheats. Seen it in dozens of video games. Like algorithm trading the big boys on wall street run, its bad for the game. Like clowns who use range finders on the golf course, bad for the game. Imagine if golfers could use the overlay they put on the green for the tv viewer when putting, that's how I see huds. We could argue about it all day I bet.