HM2 sucks, is Poker Tracker any good

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HM2 seems to divide opinion, you either love it or hate it, I am the a hater unfortunately.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HM2 seems to divide opinion, you either love it or hate it, I am the a hater unfortunately.

I'm in the same camp. Gonna hate it when HM1 finally quits working. I seem to remember someone saying it'd be supported for a year after the release of HM2, so that puts it working up until about November, iirc.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You never know RDB, but as HM2 doesnt do what I really want I doubt it.
I mainly play SNG's and MTT's on Inter Poker on the IPN Network and HM2 or HM1 for that matter doesnt auto collect data from these and as I play 5 or 6 at a time it is impossible for me to manually input the date, but thanks anyway for your faith :)

RDB

RDB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should talk to IPN to write summary informations into the handhistory file or write a separate summary file like many of the larger pokersites do. :)

K

KTtoQ3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been using HM2 for a few weeks, no problems with the software I have to say. That being said, I don't like it as much as HM1, not so intuitive and a bit heavy on resources. To be honest, I don't see what all the fuss was about. I have now gone back to my first love, Poker Tracker3. Now that they have improved the tournament summary shortcoming it does everything I need. It also has a printable manual and tutorial which I much prefer to videos. I have had a brief look at PT4 but can't really comment on it but I doubt that I will upgrade. However, If you've not used PT3 before you can buy it now and get a free upgrade to PT4 which sounds like a good deal to me.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been using HM2 for a few weeks, no problems with the software I have to say. That being said, I don't like it as much as HM1, not so intuitive and a bit heavy on resources. To be honest, I don't see what all the fuss was about. I have now gone back to my first love, Poker Tracker3. Now that they have improved the tournament summary shortcoming it does everything I need. It also has a printable manual and tutorial which I much prefer to videos. I have had a brief look at PT4 but can't really comment on it but I doubt that I will upgrade. However, If you've not used PT3 before you can buy it now and get a free upgrade to PT4 which sounds like a good deal to me.

Bingo. At least for me. The whole reason I chose HM1 over PT3 was the intuitive "feel" which is now gone, imo. I have NO desire to spend countless hours figuring out how a program should work. I either "get-it" within the first few minutes, or I don't. With HM1 evrything was simple and straight-forward; with HM2, not so much.

Also, the manual/tutorial is a HUGE plus for me. I have no desire to spend endless amounts of time wading through videos (which often turn out not to be on point anyway) just to answer a simple question about the software that could be answered easily by checking the manual and devoting less than 2 minutes to find the answer. The fact that there is, apparently, no updated manual for HM2 that is kept in a current state is a huge negative for me. It really comes down to being able to find the answer to my questions in a minute or two with the manual, or watching 2-3 longish videos and still likely not finding the answer I was looking for. Call me old school, but a printed manual beats videos any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will report back in this thread.
Update as promised :-

Their support people spent hours working on my computer remotely, can`t fault them for effort. HM2 still doesn`t work, though, and I am continuing to use HM1.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your plan going forward? I seem to remember seeing somewhere that HM1 will only be supported until November or so. After that expect it to slowly start having issues, not supporting sites updates, etc, until it, too, eventually won't work at all. I'm dreading that day as I will not try HM2 again, so I guess I'll be forced to switch to PT4 even though I'm not enthused about it.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your plan going forward?
I have Holdem Indicator. Less sophisticated but fuss-free and works with a very wide range of sites. If I find that inadequate, there is always PT.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks. I may have to check Hold'em Indicator out sometime soon.

U

udbrky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with this. Also agree that there are plenty of people out there who embrace change just for change's sake. Absolutely nothing wrong with HM1 and upgrade was only needed to put more cash in the hands of the people at HM.

No, it's NOT just you. Plenty of people, yes- myself included, are unhappy with HM2. At the end of the day things will break into two groups; those who like the change and will embrace it, and those who hate the change and will dump HM altogether when HM1 quits working and find an alternative. If there's any question, I'm among the latter.

Have you checked the FAQ's?

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/

Please explain what you find hard to find so that we can change it.

U

udbrky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Update as promised :-

Their support people spent hours working on my computer remotely, can`t fault them for effort. HM2 still doesn`t work, though, and I am continuing to use HM1.

Please PM me with your email address you contacted support with so I can look into this.

OK, we found it, it looks like .net won't install - which points to serious issues with the windows install. We can't run without .net. I'm surprised HM1 works.

Last edited:
absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have Admin rights in Windows?

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please PM me with your email address you contacted support with so I can look into this.

OK, we found it, it looks like .net won't install - which points to serious issues with the windows install. We can't run without .net. I'm surprised HM1 works.

Actually, everything I have ever tried to install or run works perfectly with the sole exception of HM2. I know that the apparent explanation is that there is something wrong with one of my Windows components, but it`s difficult to avoid the conclusion that HM2 is unusually fussy.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Actually, everything I have ever tried to install or run works perfectly with the sole exception of HM2. I know that the apparent explanation is that there is something wrong with one of my Windows components, but it`s difficult to avoid the conclusion that HM2 is unusually fussy.
I concur

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

If you have any particular problems with Holdem Manager we would be happy to help you resolve them. Please let us know what is wrong. Does the program not work for you?

Have you checked the FAQ's? Yes

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/

Please explain what you find hard to find so that we can change it.

I don't want to hi-jack Col's thread so it would be great if you could extend your offer to me in this thread https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/hm2-pt4-both-bad-each-other-212854/ where among other things I have raised the question of why HM2 sometimes imports hands and assigns the tourney date 31/12/9999 23:59:59 which are then impossible to edit or remove.
Thanks

U

udbrky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

HM2 definitely points out issues your computer is having. Most of the times, when I TV someone having these issues, they are having other issues - like Windows won't update. That's a major problem, and the user is just overlooking it, subjecting themselves to possible security trouble.

It's nothing a reinstall of windows won't fix most of the time, and nothing feels better on a computer than a fresh windows install, it's almost like you upgraded your computer.

U

udbrky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't want to hi-jack Col's thread so it would be great if you could extend your offer to me in this thread https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/hm2-pt4-both-bad-each-other-212854/ where among other things I have raised the question of why HM2 sometimes imports hands and assigns the tourney date 31/12/9999 23:59:59 which are then impossible to edit or remove.
Thanks

Please zip and email the original hand history and tournament summaries (for Stars and Pacific) files from c:/hmarchive and/or c:\hm2archive to support@holdemmanager.com

The details for the tourney can be found in the replayer header.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please zip and email the original hand history and tournament summaries (for Stars and Pacific) files from c:/hmarchive and/or c:\hm2archive to support@holdemmanager.com

Thanks for the reply.
I will be glad to forward the HH's for the games that don't import properly when I have established which ones they are.
As it stands atm I have deleted the hands that I was able to delete under the 31/12/9999 tourney as advised when I searched this problem on the forum, and am now only left with one hand labelled 01/01/0001. When I try to open this with the replayer, I either get a blank grey table (sometimes with 'hand loading') or I get one of my most recent hands from a game played today so still have no clues to which HH is importing incorrectly.

I have seen this same request (to submit 'offending' HH's) many times before on the forum. Could you give us some feedback on what hands you have received. It would help me a great deal as I continue to delete databases and re-import day by day, looking for the problem, if I knew which sites may be contributing to this issue.

Last edited:
RDB

RDB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to say which site may cause this problem.
Some candidates:
- Ipoker, especially Euro or Pound tables
- Cake
- Merge
- Entraction

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks

As I stated above I don't want to hi-jack this thread so I have replied in my thread - https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/hm2-pt4-both-bad-each-other-212854/

Poker Tracker 4 Review - Poker Tracker Guide