HM2 sucks, is Poker Tracker any good

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have tried as hard as I can to get along with it but I have come to the conclusion that HM2 sucks. I love HM1 but realise that it is soon going to be out of date so I am going to have to change.
I am looking at Poker Tracker, has anyone used it? Is it as good or better than HM2? I am going to download the trial but would be grateful of any thoughts about it?
Thanks in advance for your help :congrats:

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find HEM2 great tbh. What sort of problems are you having with it ?

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I liked the colour scheme of HM1, HM2 is too dull and I liked the way things were set out in HM1, I guess it might be old age but after 3 months trying I cannot get things set up the way I like them in HM2.
Also HM2 slows my computer down a lot more than HM1 did, my comp is old so that is why but it is still annoying.
My fav was always Poker Office, it suited me, but you have to buy a licence every year with that which is a joke.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I liked the colour scheme of HM1, HM2 is too dull and I liked the way things were set out in HM1, I guess it might be old age but after 3 months trying I cannot get things set up the way I like them in HM2.
Also HM2 slows my computer down a lot more than HM1 did, my comp is old so that is why but it is still annoying.
My fav was always Poker Office, it suited me, but you have to buy a licence every year with that which is a joke.
I thought there was a way to change the skin(not crazy options, but some I thought) I am at work right now so I can't check, but I thought there was a way to do this.

As far as how the program slows down your computer, I am sorry to say that PT4 will most likely do the same thing. With every update to these programs, they are adding more and more features, and those features use more resources. I would say stick with HM1 for now or get a new computer/upgrade your computer(more RAM may still not help if your processor is ancient). Also, have you tried purging some of your hands? That can drastically speed up how the software works, you really don't need the details of 2 year old hands anymore, do you?

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven’t used HM but I do find Poker Tracker does the job really well

Just my 2¢

:cool:

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all your thoughts, I think I'll keep using HM1 and try Poker Tracker to see if it suits me better than HM1.

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just starting to grind up from nada. Can you point me to some good reviews/tutorials on HUD and tracking software.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Teg
I think you need to start a new post for that, I'm sure you will get lots of help but it needs to be a new thread?

RDB

RDB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have tried both HEM2 and ptr4, I find ptr4 to be way more easy and fun to work with.

101ABN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not tried PT4 yet, but PT3 was pretty good. The main issues I had with it were trying to keep the HUD working and have it properly track my SNGs...as well as keeping it synced up with tourney tickets to display my accurate ROI for tourneys.

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im running ptr3 at the moment and after using it for a year now i can say it is an excellent program , any big differences in ptr4 ??? anyone

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I own HM1, HM2, PT3, and PT4 (since alpha, still in beta). Out of all of them, I still prefer HM2. I've had no real problems with it (and I've been using it since early alpha as well), other than a recent glitch with my activation key that caused some weird issues that I first blamed on bugs in the program. When they discovered it was actually a key issue and resolved that, the problems went away and it works great again. It even worked fine with no changes, including preferred seating, when Lock moved to Cake. HM1 required a patch to even work, and still doesn't support preferred seating (and may not ever). From what I hear, PT doesn't work at all either.

PT4 I like better than PT3, but nothing I've seen so far would make me choose it over HM2. If I were coming into both cold, with no prior experience with either, I might feel different, but HM1 was a clear win for me over PT3 and I'm just used to the HM way of doing things I guess. Then again I have a pretty massive PC and don't play more than 8 tables these days (used to play up to 16 but seriously cut back on volume) so resource usage hasn't been an issue for me.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You might be right Dave, HM2 might be the best of the lot but I just find it too complicated, maybe I am just getting too old for new things but I just cant get it to do what I want it too, I guess I'll stick to HM1 as long as possible.

Tino11

Tino11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have HM2 and just worked through the video series that come along with it. A pause here, a rewind there and its not too difficult to get out of it what you want out of it. The little video tutorials are short and sweet and to the point and in a hour or so you have the basic config done to your liking. Then its just a matter of tweaking things until you find what suits you best. I find a limited HUD with detailed roll overs and pop ups suits me best. You can see a lot about a player just from the holy trinity and the sample size.
I tired the free trial of PT3 and to be honest, it was ok, but i never put a lot of effort into it, so I cannot really say it was great/good/bad.
Once you get into HM2, you will wonder what took you so long, I know I did.

RDB

RDB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

If you have any particular problems with Holdem Manager we would be happy to help you resolve them. Please let us know what is wrong. Does the program not work for you?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It even worked fine with no changes, including preferred seating, when Lock moved to Cake. HM1 required a patch to even work, and still doesn't support preferred seating (and may not ever). From what I hear, PT doesn't work at all either.
PT3 works fine at new Lock and has since the switch. PT3 also released patch for Merge 6.0 this afternoon although apparently it's cash only at the moment because Merge screwed something up with the tourney hhs.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PT3 works fine at new Lock and has since the switch. PT3 also released patch for Merge 6.0 this afternoon although apparently it's cash only at the moment because Merge screwed something up with the tourney hhs.
My mistake then, it must have been something else I read PT wasn't working with -- there have been so many site changes lately I can't keep up.

(Derail) And Merge 6.0 is pretty horrible. I thought Lock's transition to Cake was pretty bad with the sucky Cake software, but it's been a blazing success next to the Merge upgrade. Forget HH's, the freakin' client doesn't even half work. Makes the abysmal Cake software look pretty good now.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My mistake then, it must have been something else I read PT wasn't working with -- there have been so many site changes lately I can't keep up.

(Derail) And Merge 6.0 is pretty horrible. I thought Lock's transition to Cake was pretty bad with the sucky Cake software, but it's been a blazing success next to the Merge upgrade. Forget HH's, the freakin' client doesn't even half work. Makes the abysmal Cake software look pretty good now.
Yeah, I haven't even tried to play yet since everyone said it was so buggy. Also read on the PT3 boards this morning that they're having an issue with some winning hands being reported as losers on new Merge so I guess they haven't got cash working yet either.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I haven't even tried to play yet since everyone said it was so buggy. Also read on the PT3 boards this morning that they're having an issue with some winning hands being reported as losers on new Merge so I guess they haven't got cash working yet either.

Man, seems like I picked a good time to take a week off from teh pokerz. Hopefully they get it all sorted soon. And, FWIW, HM1>PT3>HM2. Haven't tried PT4 so no idea where that fits.

I feel your pain, Col. I'm a long-time HM1 user, but will be taking the same path as you in downloading and trying PT4. I originally chose HM1 over PT3 for it's intuitive usage. Things just seemed to work in a straight-forward manner, as I would expect them to. Little to no learning curve. That's all gone with HM2.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just started using poker trackers after the Carbon HUD came out which finally convinced me in this way: "Doggone it. These players are responding to my plays as... if... they... could see my hands." lol... Since then I've messed with PT3 but am currently using HM2. I've found that since, I've stopped asking so many stupid/redundant questions. Now I've got to work on avoidance of making stupid/redundant postings...:D I find HM2 to be invaluable on a serious note tho'...

Been using this on a pentium 4 2ghz w/ 512mb also on another which is about 1.3ghz. Aside from some some extra start-up and db initialization time it's been working out pretty well for me... The stats for your machine(s) about close to those Colbefc? Make sure that you have no non-essential bkg processes running as well... might help...

Last edited:
Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My computer is about 8 years old so like me it is getting on in years, it is fine for normal computing but I only have 1 GB of RAM so anything that puts a strain on my memory slows things down so much. I find I can get away with HM1 but HM2 slows things down way too much and I guess I just dont like the way HM2 is set out, HM1 has everything where I like it, I admit HM2 is more sophisticated but to me it is information overload and my small brain cant take it all in.
I used to like Poker Office years ago but you had to buy a license every year with that so I gave that up.
The thing I dont like about both HM1 and HM2 is that it doesnt process my sit n go's at Inter Poker on the Boss Network which is so annoying :mad:

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Colin... check online. There are upgrade kits that you can throw into your puter that will make it fly. Pretty cheap too.

You can get a 2 gig ram stick cheap as well. 3gigs -o-ram and a new processor. You'll be rockin.

Speaking of rockin. I'm rockin PT3 right now and I love it.

-

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, 1GB RAM is really holding you back. RAM is dirt cheap right now, so it would be a cheap way to improve performance when multitasking and playing multiple tables.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My comp is so old it uses the old SRAM which is expensive compared to DDR and as I want a new comp asap I am reluctant to buy any, but maybe I will need to:mad:
I have just checked and as I have 2 lots of 512 RAM and I need to replace it with 2 1 GB cards and this is over £250 cos you just cant get it these days and there is no way I can afford to pay that so I'll just have to put up with what I'v got :(

Poker Tracker 4 Review - Poker Tracker Guide