Why do you play poker???

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the frustration of bad beats, the ultimate high of winning that big tourny, the ppl u meet.

I posted a thread about FPP on stars a few days ago. A response from Dorkus Markus (Chris) got me thinking.

He said "yer, probably playing stud at a given limit is better than playing holdem at the same limit purely in terms of fpp accrual (there are of course many more important things to worry about in deciding what game to play, but you posed the question so i'm obliging with the answer :p)

It got me thinking - why do I play poker? I play for a few reasons, but the main one is the competition - I love to strive to be the best at what I do.

Out of interest, what is the main reason you guys play poker???

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For relaxation, in my case. I think of it as a restful hobby.

It doesn`t hurt, either, that it generates a profit. Pretty much any other hobby I might pursue would have a cost associated with it.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play because I love the game and like you I have a competitive spirit. Sometimes I play alone with strangers, I tend to try to concentrate more then.

Other times I play with friends. I still try to play well and win but those times I am playing as much for the companionship and time spent with friends as I am for the game itself.

The really funny thing is I win more often in those games with friends.

jayneseo

jayneseo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because I like to try to beat rigged games ;)

MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VALUE

Poker is fun, I do like the competition, I like the discipline and intelligence required to be fairly good at it. While I have met a few "donks", most poker players are fairly intelligent and likable people.

#1 reason though is the money, in poker once you have aquired some skills and understanding there are tournaments for as little as 215.00 you have a shot out of 3000 players to make 100k. I REALLY like those odds.

I've been to a few final tables where 1st paid over 10k, my highest win was 4th for 1700.00 for a 10.00 investment,

That seems reasonable to me, my goals are simple, know and play within realistic limitations, win enough bankroll to continue to move up the torunament ladder.

Quite frankly all things considered I'm in it for the money, all the rest is icing on the cake.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To relax.

To make some extra cash for holidays etc.

To one day win a bundle (one day being any time in the next 20 years).

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cUZ I wannA gGO PRO!!1 adn Beet PHil ivee

Really, because I love the game. The theoretical part of it, the metagame, the psychology, the money, the social aspect of it. I could go on :)

K

Kennyseven

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cUZ I wannA gGO PRO!!1 adn Beet PHil ivee

Really, because I love the game. The theoretical part of it, the metagame, the psychology, the money, the social aspect of it. I could go on :)

Same here...Only I would love to shut the Mouth{Matauso}down. (I know I have spelled his name wrong. Also the thrill of knowing that if you are a good player....there is a reasonable chance that you can become rich playing this game.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why I Play

I love the game & i like knowing that i can beat the odds. Having knowledge that you can be successful @ something that the odds are against you is really exciting. I've been playing since i was 15 so it comes natural to me in that i know what to expect & what not to. I haven't been so worried about some of the things that you mentioned because it's not in my mindset in the 1st place. I started playing the game because it was fun & exciting. I only concentrate on winning.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. I love playing and I love the feeling I get when I play.

2. The money.

3. The competition, but this kinda goes with reason #1, since it provides the same rush and feeling while I play.

swoop

swoop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play for the mental stimulation and competition. I'd like to get good enough to be able to make a living playing, but realistically, I probably don't have the temperament to put in the work necessary to accomplish that goal.

XxJackAcexX

XxJackAcexX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play because poker is more than winning and losing!! its about hard work dedication and sportsmanship!!! the poker table is no place for emotion!
i play to earn the right to run with the biggest names on the planet!! i play for the respect and oh yeah don't forget the fortune!! lol

chapeltuno

chapeltuno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every since I was little I played strategy games whether chess or cards. In all of these games I always progressed, always getting better, learning fom mistakes and leveraging aquired knowledge into more victories. Now with poker the excitement to master the game is exhilarating. Of course theres a rush when I win a 2700 ppl tournament but theres more satisfaction knowing that I played a perfect game not counting on any luck but just skill.

thwizzofoz

thwizzofoz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is so simple a game that even I can learn it. It is such a complicated game that it baffles even the most intelligent. It is the most frustrating game in the world and one of the most loved.

Poker is the best example in the world of statistics and probabilities. It takes all the mathematics training I have ever had and puts it to the test. And still each hand produces its own unique outcome. I don't think it is possible to know too much about the game.

Whats not to love?
:)

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. I have nothing better to do with my extra time.
2. I smoke/drink less when I'm playing poker.
3. I spend way less money on this hobby.
4. I love the thinking process behind this game.
5. It's like a drug... you get a high whenever you're in a hand. I know, I sound like an addict.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play it because I'm very competitive but I suck at sports

It's just a very interesting, complex, multi-faceted game. Also, I like money.

A

Ann

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I begin to play holdem online for work reasons and sometimes I do enjoy it.

quazar66

quazar66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker for two reasons. First I play poker for the money, next I like the battle of the minds.

E

Eclipse

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For fun, and if the money comes its better yet.

C

crussader

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1) the money
2) the money
3) the money
4) ego
5) the money

:D

FlopDeezNutz

FlopDeezNutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play it for a lot of reasons.
The primary reason why I do it is because I love the challenge involved. I love playing the game because due to changing variables, it is a constant challenge to make the right decisions under different circumstances.
Also, I work in the mental health field, so I obviously have an interest in human psychology and trying to read people.
And it helps that you can generate profit off of doing things that interest and challenge you. It's great being able to buy something from my son or to take my family on a trip off of money that I have earned playing poker.

J

james222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive just always wanted to get a ROYAL FLUSH
also very competitive and just love learning more and more about this game