When to fold aces preflop?

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I folded aces preflop once. I ran downstairs to answer the phone and when I got back up, I had timed out.

I've since bought a second handset for my phone to keep upstairs. +EV, baby.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars GAME #15424147345: HOLD'EM LIMIT ($2/$4) - 2008/02/20 - 14:41:52 (ET)
Table 'Meissa IV' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: SuckYouDry ($154 in chips)
Seat 2: sars30 ($103.50 in chips)
Seat 4: FPau ($120 in chips)
Seat 5: snowpup08 ($75.50 in chips)
Seat 6: ohzo99 ($40.50 in chips)
sars30: posts small blind $1
FPau: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to FPau [Ah As]
snowpup08: folds
ohzo99: raises $2 to $4
SuckYouDry: folds
sars30: folds
FPau has timed out
FPau: folds
FPau is sitting out
Loopez007 joins the table at seat #3
ohzo99 collected $5 from pot
ohzo99: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $5 | Rake $0
Seat 1: SuckYouDry (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: sars30 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: FPau (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: snowpup08 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: ohzo99 collected ($5)

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE?

POKERSTARS GAME #15424147345: HOLD'EM LIMIT ($2/$4) - 2008/02/20 - 14:41:52 (ET)
Table 'Meissa IV' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: SuckYouDry ($154 in chips)
Seat 2: sars30 ($103.50 in chips)
Seat 4: FPau ($120 in chips)
Seat 5: snowpup08 ($75.50 in chips)
Seat 6: ohzo99 ($40.50 in chips)
sars30: posts small blind $1
FPau: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to FPau [Ah As]
snowpup08: folds
ohzo99: raises $2 to $4
SuckYouDry: folds
sars30: folds
FPau has timed out
FPau: folds
FPau is sitting out
Loopez007 joins the table at seat #3
ohzo99 collected $5 from pot
ohzo99: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $5 | Rake $0
Seat 1: SuckYouDry (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: sars30 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: FPau (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: snowpup08 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: ohzo99 collected ($5)

You timed out and AA huh... wow that sucks. Funny thing is on $2/$4 limit you probably saved yourself some money. Low limit games are call-athons and you might have lost to A2345 vs. AAA45.

Tom McEvoy

Tom McEvoy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never, early in a tourney. And yes fold them when you're on the bubble if you think other players at the table will knock each other out and enable you to get into the money. And this, only if a lot of $$ is raised and reraised preflop.

Last edited by a moderator:
BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tom - wouldn't you put the reraiser on KK, AK, QQ, at best if you have AA? I understand the idea of having others get knocked out and make the money, but wouldn't the extra chips be great to have when making a run for the win. I personally never think about just making the money I always try and win. Of course this could be why I bubble out a lot...

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never, early in a tourney. And yes fold them when you're on the bubble if you think other players at the table will knock each other out and enable you to get into the money. And this, only if a lot of $$ is raised and reraised preflop.

Are you serious? Bubble exploitation: AA is the perfect hand to get your money in with in that spot...

Z

zxghostxz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u must call ..only think about folding if on the bubble or theres more than 1 all in before u act. but i would call in most cases...be strong..or u will be gone.....

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
. And yes fold them when you're on the bubble if you think other players at the table will knock each other out and enable you to get into the money. And this, only if a lot of $$ is raised and reraised preflop.
+1 for :confused: + :( . The only "bubble" that this would apply to is a satellite where you'll either win entry or lose, and that's already been covered. On a normal graduated payscale, there is no excuse for bottling out to limp into the money, when you could be making a proper push at the big money which is significantly more (I know i'm only repeating what above posters have said).

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
..only think about folding if on the bubble or theres more than 1 all in before u act. but i would call in most cases...be strong..or u will be gone.....

Be strong....... but I could fold.......... if there was a bigger chance i could lose...........so i might fold ...........but usually i'd be strong............and probably call...........(or fold).........

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe Mr McEvoy means that if you are short stacked and the initial raisers have you outchiped its best just to let them knock eachother out because if they knock eachother out and you make the money, you won't feel like you have spent the last few hours for nothing just to bubble, at least you may get your buy-in back and then some.
Faced with being the chip leader would make it the easy call.

A

Anchoragepoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
id have to say ... fold , if 3+ people are all in chances are youll get outdrawn by a donk- just happened to me twice in 10 mins actually.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe Mr McEvoy means that if you are short stacked and the initial raisers have you outchiped its best just to let them knock eachother out because if they knock eachother out and you make the money, you won't feel like you have spent the last few hours for nothing just to bubble, at least you may get your buy-in back and then some.
Faced with being the chip leader would make it the easy call.

even if that's what he means, it's still silly

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LUCK?

I totally agree with odinscott's replies. Have, and will again, fold those rockets preflop in the right situation. OK, so I wear a skirt, and have no nuts - BUT - I have chips and a chair. Which one's more important?

Those who will NEVER fold an AA hand preflop play NoLimitLuckem, not poker, imo.

The only situation folding AA is the correct move would be in a SAT. that you are def. going to finish in the top X of player that win their seat.

If your saying that playing AA is hoping to get "lucky" your crazy!!! AA will have the highest % to win in almost any situation. If you are considering that you are playing in a real tournament not a freeroll and it's close to the money and 2 people before you go all-in and you have AA then you have to figure that chances are 1 out of the other 2 players might have AK and the other maybe a pocket pair or similar. AA is still a 70% favorite vs. 2 players with hands like those and in a 4 way pot you will still be close to a 60% favorite. Now I understand that 40% of the time you might lose, but then again 60% of the time you just won a crap load of chips with a great chance at taking down the hole tournament.

I'll say it again. Those saying they would fold AA in a "real" non-sat tournament are just trying to act like they are better and smarter than the rest of us. I've been in that situation before with 2 players going all-in in front of me and then having to think about folding, but I couldn't get myself to fold AA.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will be eliminated 75% of the time, even though you do have odds against any one player, you are a 75% dog overall. How is it a correct call again? Simply because you have better odds against any one player? I guess you mean using the pot odds (even though you lose 75% of the time, you win more than 75% of the chips if you get lucky). I guess that I value my tourney life so much that, I would rather wait until another spot, where i have more than a 25% chance to win, before getting allin.

read up on cEV

Folding in Poker