what would you do?

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
theres 10 people left in a tournament that started with 220...ur playing a 5 handed table...blinds 500 - 1000....ur sitting in 3rd with 24,000 chips.
u have big blind with Ace King of spades....everyone folds to the button...button raises it up to 3400...and has you covered by about 1,000 chips...what do you do?

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need more information than that to really say...

Any type of read on this player? Is it common for him to do this on the button? Have you seen him raise here and then get reraised? If so what did he do?

You are getting very late in the tournament and players should be getting more aggressive by now. You also with 5 left have presumably seen this guy play more than a couple of hands.

So the above info would dictate exactly how i played the hand, but in that general situation with no reads his raising range includes a whole lot of hands that are inferior and/or coin flip type vs AKs so I would say reraise. How much depends on what I've seen the player do, but you are most likely ahead.

Remember even though he has you covered his stack is about the same as yours and the odds are just too good you have a far superior hand.

About the only reason for playing conservatively here is if moving up another spot is worth alot more money (or going from the bubble to the money) which is why I asked about payouts. Even then I don't really like conservative play here if you are on the bubble you could just call and see what flops/what he does post flop.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-in. AK plays terribly OOP postflop.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrinnnn.

mister628

mister628

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise

I would raise to double his bet to see if he was just trying to buy the pot or if he really has a good hand.

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the top 18 got payed....i was already in the money....i had been sittin at the other table then i got moved to this table about 10 hands b4 this. I didnt get to watch him a lot .... but i did see that he had a negative thirty something return on investment with about 340 tournies played.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the top 18 got payed....i was already in the money....i had been sittin at the other table then i got moved to this table about 10 hands b4 this. I didnt get to watch him a lot .... but i did see that he had a negative thirty something return on investment with about 340 tournies played.

Then yeah... I'm putting him all in here. :D

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Defo push, I aggree playing AK OOP sucks 2/3 of the time and stop n go has very -EV coz of your deep chip stack.

jt

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i pushed ....my ace king...vs. his jack jack....i lost...was really mad at myself momentarily afterwards being that im great at being patient and maintaining a chipstack working my way further into the money. But i thought more and more about it...i had to push, i guess it wasnt 2 bad of a move...so many times you can catch a guy raising on the button with ace and a face...or ace rag... in a 5 handed game