Very Disappointed in the Quality of play at the freerolls

M

minet123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly its best to throw just about everything away early and wait for the blinds to go up so the travel channel/espn experts are gone

Sharkman

Sharkman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tons of freerolls and real buy-in tourneys. Two totally different beasts! I still play the same(tight and aggressive) with one exception. Freerolls I fold a heck of alot more. RammerJammer is right on! You can bluff a heck of alot easier in a real money game, that is for sure. Freerolls anyone will call an all in preflop to double up. If you want more of a skill game go to PokerChamps .50 cent, $1, $2 buy ins. Believe it or not, they tighten up a bit more and it is still dirt cheap.:eek:

HoldemChamp

HoldemChamp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That, unforunately, is the nature of freerolls. I didn't cost the people any money to play so that usually don't care what they play. The thing is to play tight against those people and wait them out. Sometimes they stay lucky sometimes they don't. Later on, after the bad players get weeded out, you can start stealing some pots with agressive play.

PokerChamp

J

jojowins

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lottery playas

please dont get me started on the lottery players!!only way i have found to somewhat beat them is to let them know if your are going all in all the time then u will havee to wait for the pot and i use all of my clock up and make em wait--they usually get tired of the long wait(after some cuss words) and start playin half-way decent.the others players get mad at having to wait and they fuss at the all in jerk---so the unless the jerk likes playin with alot of lip--they will quit.

S

spluff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i sometimes play the same game - try and double up early and if u are out u are out.... because everyone else is doing it and you cannot play cards with people like that. I then tighten up and see how far i get... won a few tourneys this way

C

CHAD8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to gain approximently 7500-10000 after the first hour weather thats in 5 hands or 55 minitues then wait until the second hr try to be at 20-40g by the 2nd hr break by this time, 2hrs have gone by the ALL INERS ARE DONE and the real battle STARTS. :fight: GOOD LUCK FOLKS

PEACE

CHAD8

P

philly0707

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What are any thoughts on playing anything early in a tournament as long as nobody raises preflop just to see if you catch? Is that normal.

W

Wlokos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wait it out and only play your good hands at first The all-in people who don't know how play will lose, and you just need to outlast them to have a shot at some real playing.

T

trombley123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know how you feel, i recently was in a tournament and i was low stacked. I caught pocket K's and my all in (3820) was called by a guy with 3 8 offsuit. he ended up catching flush when i got 3 K's, i know it's in the cards but the thought of calling that much with a 3 8 offsuit is just rediculous it almost ruins the game.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ever notice how the first-hand-all-in winners are rarely still around an hour later? They'll knock out two other players, triple their chips to take a commanding early lead, then just piss it away 'cause they don't have any game at all.

T

tdq

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with rammer, if you play well you'll stick with you're chips but those early chip leaders, they won't.

C

Clyde1967

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
some of the players out there are retarded.I was in a free roll the other day and six people stayed in to see the flop K-K-7 rainbow,somebody makes a small bet ,two guys call and the next guy raises 200 ,i fold and another guy goes all in ,naturally the guy that raised calls and everybody else folds.Now this is the funny part the guy that raised first had 8-8 and the guy that went all in Had Q-8 offsuit .couldnt believe it,some people just have no idea what they are doing

mongani7

mongani7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raptorsfan said:
Sorry bout this guys and gals...but I need to vent. The quality of play at the Poker Stars freerolls is just horrible. I am not mad because I lost, because it is cards and that happens...what I am mad about is people playing hands like 7 - 2 offsuit before the flop and calling bets of 3, 4 ,5 hundred chips from first, second, third position...And then beating a really respectable hand like a mid to high pocket pair or a 20 suited or something like that. Players like that really take away from the skill and the fun of the game because they will bet anything and end up beating out a very good player with garbage that shouldn't even warrant the call of a small $$$ big blind. I know I may sound whiny, I didn't get beat out by one of these hands, but I did lose a considerable amount of chips to hands like this. Some of the players at the table who I have played with before, and I know are very decent players did get beat out by garbage like that though. What I am trying to say is that if you don't know how to play poker or are just out to try to screw around the game...stay home and learn. Let the people who want to play for real play there game. Poker is more a game of skill than a game of who can get luckiest first. If ya wanna play like that come down to my place and play in our $100 buy in games at my place on sundays and get a lesson.

Sorry about the vent, have a good day:hello:
rapstor,
iam mongani7, i hal to tell you I AM ONE OF THOSE PLAYERS, howevr i only squeak in on the flop if you let me and it happens a'lot i am usualy very high in chip stak in the first three rounds i do quite well with my style of play and i piss people off!i don't care what they say whene i play a tourny that i pay 200 and 15 to the house i play the same way and yes i make it to the money and yes i have made it to th final table on diffrent tournies i only play those cards early in a tournamet then i play a compleatly diffrent style later . so if i'm in a tourny and beat you in a hand with a crappy hand it is because you let me in cheap the way i see it it cost me 15 to win 1500 you see??

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mogani,

lol yes I call you forest gump the card chaser.. "run forest run!" or a fisherman.. fishing for cards.. Like it was previously said "Play tight". I try to get as far as watching half the field eliminated. I know then I may not be safe to a forest gump but the percentages are much more smaller by then of actually betting and plaing against one.

R

Rails

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to enter any freeroll fully knowing what kind of morons you're up against. I take any game that I'm playing seriously, however, it's only natural that most people will take chances with play money that they wouldn't dream of if it's their own cash. Remember, if you bust out of a freeroll, you can always reload your play chips and register for the next freeroll in an hour or so.

My advice, play INCREDIBLY tight for the first hour or so - the morons generally weed themselves out by then. Then play your game, cuz then only the (semi) serious remain. After all, it is a freeroll!!! :)

Prysm

Prysm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls I try specifically to see as many flops as possible. I try not to ever go allin. I see the flop as cheap as possible. If I see things are looking up for me I bet high but modest. Aggressive but not enough to damage my stack. In the beginning I try to build my stack SLOWLY! And at all costs avoid the reckless encounters. Wait till an alliner is knocked out or has called before you so you can avoid his allin raise. Fold any hand that is not top notch if you decide you want to call.

The name of the game for me is survival. To prove my case I watched a $1.00 buyin tourney (which is still pretty loose). Someone made it to the final table with $3,000 stack. Everyone else had $60k+ and chip leader was grossly ahead with $150k. The guy waited... even folded some pocket Queens. He played his position and the players. Not the cards. He waited and waited. In the end... He came back and won. I was stunned. He avoided any chance of him losing at all costs.

Q

qsilver1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you all make some really good points. i agree that some times players call with crap. i also agree with mongani7 some times people let them in cheap. but when you go all in with the top three a/a k/k q/q i must say that i have suffered bad beats mostly by some one calling with ace low kick. i would say that most of the time i ended up winning the hand. i dont know if i would say free roles bring in a gross number of bad players i think they bring in a gross number of players that dont care. often they will say that hey it did not cost me any thing to get in so what the f. that is when i remind them that a trny you play for what you can win not for what it cost you to enter uasally that reminds them that oh crap i can win money if i play decent. i think most of the time when i have seen all in callers with 2/7 off or even suited or some other crap hand they usally lose. if they beat me well hey every hand is a winner and every hand is a well you know the rest. you all take care and good luck

schavin

schavin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First 30 Minutes

I normally just watch the hands go by for the first 30 minutes unless they are of the top five, unless I can get in cheap. Normally after the first six hands or so you will see who is playing to stay and who is just bored. They really should be called Bluffrolls.

jmj69

jmj69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When things are free you have to expect that. You get what you pay for!!!

P

policy_maker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You will get them in every tournement. You have to watch the cards they have played and feel them out.

onebigblue

onebigblue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raptorsfan said:
Sorry bout this guys and gals...but I need to vent. The quality of play at the Poker Stars freerolls is just horrible. I am not mad because I lost, because it is cards and that happens...what I am mad about is people playing hands like 7 - 2 offsuit before the flop and calling bets of 3, 4 ,5 hundred chips from first, second, third position...And then beating a really respectable hand like a mid to high pocket pair or a 20 suited or something like that. Players like that really take away from the skill and the fun of the game because they will bet anything and end up beating out a very good player with garbage that shouldn't even warrant the call of a small $$$ big blind. I know I may sound whiny, I didn't get beat out by one of these hands, but I did lose a considerable amount of chips to hands like this. Some of the players at the table who I have played with before, and I know are very decent players did get beat out by garbage like that though. What I am trying to say is that if you don't know how to play poker or are just out to try to screw around the game...stay home and learn. Let the people who want to play for real play there game. Poker is more a game of skill than a game of who can get luckiest first. If ya wanna play like that come down to my place and play in our $100 buy in games at my place on sundays and get a lesson.

if u would have won those hand and took their money would u still be upset.tthere r some people that believe playing too tight is bad .i still rather loose with an aa or kk to a 45 suit than complain .thats poker

C

chrisjej

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raptorsfan said:

Even on high skill games - you get bad beats. But freerolls aren't that hard to crack once you get the idea about how far into the game you are. You need to get a feel for when bluffing works (hint: first 10 hands all the morons are still around). If you don't bet at all, you will get to the half way mark when people are usually wiser and more bluffable.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i feel the same way about poker star players >not all of them< the ones that play crap and catch cards with nothing>so dont feel bad we all experiance it>>>.buckster436

P

python3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
chrisjej said:
Even on high skill games - you get bad beats. But freerolls aren't that hard to crack once you get the idea about how far into the game you are. You need to get a feel for when bluffing works (hint: first 10 hands all the morons are still around). If you don't bet at all, you will get to the half way mark when people are usually wiser and more bluffable.

I agree with what someone said before. If you wait it out, you're gonna be shortstacked when the weaker players are weeded out. It' all you can do but. Those players absolutely run the game. I only pay freerolls when my account is drained.

N

neonails

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience is the only key i know to winning some tourne-s try and ride the out as best u can. control the betting is the key to all bluffs and power poker.

Freeroll Passwords