Possibly good news!!! Cereus (UB/Absolute Poker) sold to Blanca Games

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who thinks the sale of UB/Absolute is going to change anything needs their head examined!

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Onemorechance.....so no? then you dont have proof ? Just a silly picture? Are we adults here or what. I am asking for proof that Pokerstars or any other site for that matter does not ave any employees with superuser access?

Ultimatebet got caught but to be honest can they really be the only ones?
You're asking to prove a negative, which isn't possible no matter the subject.

Is it possible? Sure it's possible, there are employees who have access to hole cards from the server side. If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to investigate cheating, or broadcast their pokerstars.tv coverage of online events with hole cards exposed. However PS and FT have always taken security very seriously, and I'm certain they have safeguards in place and internal audits that would quickly uncover anything, especially in light of the Absolute Poker/Ultimatebet scandals. Same as with any other financial institution or other corporation where employees have access to highly sensitive information or large amounts of funds -- the controls in place are ridiculously tight and make it extremely difficult for rogue employees to get away, at least for long, with any funny business. And as was pointed out, the poker community itself is pretty quick to pickup on when things just don't look right.

People throw around the terms "superuser" and reference the Absolute Poker/Ultimatebet scandals without really knowing or understanding what went on and how. If you realize how it happened, you realize how unlikely it is to ever happen at PS or FT, or even again at Cereus for that matter.

First, Absolute Poker's superuser scandal arose from a consultant who had full access to their backend systems. This backdoor access was presumably for support and investigative purposes, but this consultant (player known as POTRIPPER) abused it for his own gain. It was suspected that he shared this access with friends, but I don't know that it was ever proven.

Next, Ultimatebet's problems started with a scam perpetrated by some software developers employed by the original owners, Excapsa Software, who inserted some secret backdoor code into their system to broadcast hole card data in real time as hands were being played. Russ Hamilton (a wsop ME winner) was employed as a consultant and is widely considered to be the ringleader of a group who used this for cheating.

By the time the scandals emerged, Ultimatebet was under new ownership (Tokwiro Enterprises), so from their perspective they were innocent. They audited their systems, found the secret backdoor code and removed it. However many consider them both negligent in not doing their due diligence on auditing their newly acquired systems up front, and also in their repeated denials and misinformation campaigns following the scandals. Combine that with a few lesser software/security snafus afterwards (the infamous Phil Hellmuth hand glitch, the weakness in their encryption protocol, the lying about their encryption being industry standard when it was really a home-grown simple XOR algorithm, etc.) and a pattern of a negligent operation emerges. So the original owners were (or employed) blatant crooks, while the subsequent owners were lazy, negligent, deniers who couldn't be bothered to clean up the previous owners' mess until the chickens came home to roost.

The kicker for me is, I simply HATE their software. As in, it completely tilted me every time I played there.

I simply have no reason to go back, when you have the better experience and track record of solid sites like PS and FT, whom I trust far more than I ever would the Absolute Poker/Ultimatebet portfolio. Too little, too late, IMO...

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're asking to prove a negative, which isn't possible no matter the subject.

Is it possible? Sure it's possible, there are employees who have access to hole cards from the server side. If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to investigate cheating, or broadcast their PokerStars.tv coverage of online events with hole cards exposed. However PS and FT have always taken security very seriously, and I'm certain they have safeguards in place and internal audits that would quickly uncover anything, especially in light of the Absolute Poker/Ultimatebet scandals. Same as with any other financial institution or other corporation where employees have access to highly sensitive information or large amounts of funds -- the controls in place are ridiculously tight and make it extremely difficult for rogue employees to get away, at least for long, with any funny business. And as was pointed out, the poker community itself is pretty quick to pickup on when things just don't look right.

People throw around the terms "superuser" and reference the Absolute Poker/Ultimatebet scandals without really knowing or understanding what went on and how. If you realize how it happened, you realize how unlikely it is to ever happen at PS or FT, or even again at Cereus for that matter.

First, Absolute Poker's superuser scandal arose from a consultant who had full access to their backend systems. This backdoor access was presumably for support and investigative purposes, but this consultant (player known as POTRIPPER) abused it for his own gain. It was suspected that he shared this access with friends, but I don't know that it was ever proven.

Next, Ultimatebet's problems started with a scam perpetrated by some software developers employed by the original owners, Excapsa Software, who inserted some secret backdoor code into their system to broadcast hole card data in real time as hands were being played. Russ Hamilton (a WSOP ME winner) was employed as a consultant and is widely considered to be the ringleader of a group who used this for cheating.

By the time the scandals emerged, Ultimatebet was under new ownership (Tokwiro Enterprises), so from their perspective they were innocent. They audited their systems, found the secret backdoor code and removed it. However many consider them both negligent in not doing their due diligence on auditing their newly acquired systems up front, and also in their repeated denials and misinformation campaigns following the scandals. Combine that with a few lesser software/security snafus afterwards (the infamous Phil Hellmuth hand glitch, the weakness in their encryption protocol, the lying about their encryption being industry standard when it was really a home-grown simple XOR algorithm, etc.) and a pattern of a negligent operation emerges. So the original owners were (or employed) blatant crooks, while the subsequent owners were lazy, negligent, deniers who couldn't be bothered to clean up the previous owners' mess until the chickens came home to roost.

The kicker for me is, I simply HATE their software. As in, it completely tilted me every time I played there.

I simply have no reason to go back, when you have the better experience and track record of solid sites like PS and FT, whom I trust far more than I ever would the Absolute Poker/Ultimatebet portfolio. Too little, too late, IMO...

Great post. Just wanted to add that there were more superusers than just POTRIPPER, more than just the one rogue employee/owner/consultant/whatever you wanna call Hamilton.

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post. Just wanted to add that there were more superusers than just POTRIPPER, more than just the one rogue employee/owner/consultant/whatever you wanna call Hamilton.
I assumed there were more than POTRIPPER for the AP scandal, I just didn't recall how widespread or if any others were positively ID'd.

The UB thing with Hamilton was widely known to involve a bunch of people, as I said he was considered the ring-leader and coordinated money transfers and game info between the cheaters. I think he helped shield them or cover their tracks too.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who thinks the sale of Ultimatebet/Absolute is going to change anything needs their head examined!

Why though. Do you have proof they are still cheating? The same players that found them out before should be able to still do it right?

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why though. Do you have proof they are still cheating? The same players that found them out before should be able to still do it right?

Does the fact that they've been caught either downright cheating or just being phenomenally shady under two 'different' owners not make you very suspicious about blindly trusting them a third time?

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean look, just to follow that, their 'new' owners (Blanca Games) website contains this

Based in Antigua, Blanca Games is the operator of the CEREUS Poker Network. The Cereus Poker Network powers some of the industry’s leading online poker rooms. For more information on CEREUS please visit www.cereuspoker.com.

Blanca Games is licensed and regulated by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission in the Kahnawake Mohawk Territory.
The operations of the Blanca Group are conducted by subsidiaries and associated companies.

Just this use of bolded language seems really pretty strange to me. Plus this is just lol

Please be advised that the brand UB.com has been recently acquired by Blanca Games Inc. At present, Blanca Games takes no responsibility for events occurred at former UltimateBet.com poker room.

pappasqueaks

pappasqueaks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The new ownership may not welcome u.s players , we have to wait and see when they take over on what there actions might be for UB/ABSP

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The new ownership may not welcome u.s players , we have to wait and see when they take over on what there actions might be for Ultimatebet/ABSP
It would *highly* unlikely that they would dump their US players, which comprise a significant majority of their revenue base. To spend that kind of money on an acquisition and then cut-off probably 70% of revenue? Not happening.

That said, I'd just as soon they did, maybe that would kill them off. IMO those sites need to die and new ones spring up from their ashes. I think that'll be the only way they'll regain any trust.

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Onemorechance.....so no? then you dont have proof ? Just a silly picture? Are we adults here or what. I am asking for proof that Pokerstars or any other site for that matter does not ave any employees with superuser access?

Ultimatebet got caught but to be honest can they really be the only ones?

After reading the user aggreement on Full Tilt they mention that in the design of the system no superuser accounts were made possible because of the scandals at the other sites. They do say that iof someone could see your cards then that is your own computers security being breached. So FT is very certain that it is impossible for them to have a superuser account.

Not sure about PS-I dont play there that often to have read the user agreement fully.

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

No I don't have proof other than their encryption was easy to break up until a few months ago, and that was after they said they did a FULL security check and they were secure.

They just have too many strikes against them to trust.

I do have a small amount of money there, not sure what I am going to do with it, but I think its too expensive to get off, although some money is better than no money. I haven't played UB since the last security issue, and before that only about once or twice a month.

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't played Ultimatebet since the last security issue, and before that only about once or twice a month.

Please tell me how the "security issue" directly affected you?

What sites do you play on that are safe?

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for the heads up. I did not hear about this sale. Yeah, don't really play there as much as I could. Have about 800 points towards the 2200 I need for a Texas Hold em DVD set I want at AP. Hopefully new owners aren't buying a dying horse. Did the new owners already own any pokersites prior to this purchase???

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please tell me how the "security issue" directly affected you?

What sites do you play on that are safe?

It didn't, other than it was the final straw that made me decide not to play there any more.

I don't have to be directly affected by something for it to influence me.

My point is the sale does not really change anything.
The software is still the same.
The programmers are the same.

For all we know it's just a sale from the current owners to themselves with a front company, and/or a way to get some cash out of the company into their pockets.

I don't trust them. Why should I?

I play at full tilt poker, Pokerstars, and bodog.

Top 10 Games