PokerStar frozen account - help???

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always thank people when they ask to see my ID when using a credit card. Its good business.

First of all, was this a pre-paid visa or a regular VISA? If it was a regular VISA, the transaction may have been flagged by the processor. If it was pre-paid, and you are asking for a refund, that's considered really close to money laundering, and PS has the right to cover their ass with your identification info.

If you are worried about your identity, you should be more worried about the checks you send to pay your bills than pokerstars asking for ID verification.

M

massimo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on 5 different sites, and I have had to send my ID to 3 of the 5 sites. Heck maybe even all 5 of them, I don't remember any more.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PS says its fine to have serveral acounts in the same house hold/IP, AS LONG AS U INFORM THEM that there are more then one person playing from that IP.
Hence me saying if his wife/gf/brother/w/e also had a acount there with out him leting PS know could be a reason for his acount geting locked while they investigate if its the same person or not.

This is correct, My husband and I both have accounts and PS is fine with it. There are certain restrictions but there is an auto block to prevent any of those to be broken. It sounds more like a Credit Card issue of maybe a multi account issue. Either way just sent your ID it will clear it up.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
u can trust PokerStars. jus give them ur ID/information n if anything bad happens to ur account/visa/Information then u can sue the shit outta them, doubts this will happen tho cos pokerstars is very very n i mean VERY safe.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't waste any more time talking to the OP or offering him advice until or unless he returns to CC. :p

He created this account with the sole intent and purpose of making this thread.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can black things out like social sec number. (at least i did at some pokersites when they asked my ID)

Question: In the Netherlands they want to add a 4 digit personal code you have to type in if you use youre credit card this to prevent fraude (just like a pin bankcard)
Is this also going to happen in the US?

It already did start in the U.S. ... long ago. We have a three digit code on the back of the card that many processors ask for when accepting credit and/or debit card payments.

That tells them that the person using the card should actually have the card in thier possession in order to turn it over and see the code on the back.

D

DrTongue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is exactly what they're asking for (number 2 seems a little too much):

2. I enclose the following information to support this application:

a) A clear photocopy of my driver's license or other photo ID
(front and back)

b) A clear photocopy of my most recent utility bill
(phone, gas, water etc.) showing my name, address and
statement date

c) A clear photocopy of the front and back of the following
card(s):

1. _______________________________________(Visa)
Please fill out the full credit card number above.

d) A clear photocopy of my most recent credit card
statement for each card listed above showing my name,
address, credit card number and statement date

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

3. By signing and submitting this form along with the accompanying
documentation, I am fully acknowledging and verifying the following:

a) The above details are valid and I am the owner of this
PokerStars account.

b) I have authorized all transactions processed using my
credit card(s) and/or accounts listed above initiated from
my PokerStars account.

c) I will honor all transactions made with the above
credit card(s) and/or account(s).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is standard. You really only have 2 choices. Give it to them or not. If you really don't feel comfortable with it then don't do it. But don't expect to get your money back if you refuse.

dweezel

dweezel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know .... looking at what they want all this broo-hah-hah might be because of how you sign your name.
Example: Robert E Smith vs. Bob Smith vs. Rob Smith etc.
Opened acct with Bob, credit card says Robert E
and/or your PS account address doesn't EXACTLY match your address on your credit card account.
Make sure all info is true, correct, and exact.
Just a thought.
And remember,..... flashing a credit card # doesn't prove you are who you are.
Question to OP: No offense but are you underage, and using your parents card???? If I'm wrong I'm sorry but reading this thread just gives me that feeling.

D

DrTongue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is it, when I posted for help on a subject, automatically all the accusatory fingers point at me, and say you must be up to something. You're underage, or opening multiple accounts, or trying to cheat the system by taking advantage of the new bonus, or using a stolen card, etc.

I earnestly asked for help in the hopes that others who may have gone through the same thing could tell me of their experiences. Instead I get a "how dare you not comply with the infallible PS" attitude. I'm sorry, but I think I have a right to know why my account was flagged and frozen. At least that. Then I can make an informed decision as to how I want to continue.

But don't expect to get your money back if you refuse.

Why not? I've made a purchase. The seller is refusing to sell me. So refund the card, and I'll go my way. Surely a reputable company would do this?

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sigh, I really don't see what you need help with. They are asking for ID not for you to pass a test. Send the ID they will free up your account. It is not that big of a deal as you are making it out to be. I think the reason most are responding the way they are is because if we were in your position we would send it.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason u get all those negative responses is because youve gotten several responses that were polite telling you your options and why what happened to you happpened to you. Yet.... U argue and try to defen your reasoning when it makes no sense at all. Listen if your not willing to give up your info as they suggest just quit playing online poker.. And if u want advice then ask and if u get a answer u dont like, dont come off like a jerk to ppl who are sincerely trying to help you as ive noticed theres been many loyalers in here trying to do just that..

D

DrTongue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And if u want advice then ask and if u get a answer u dont like, dont come off like a jerk to ppl who are sincerely trying to help you as ive noticed theres been many loyalers in here trying to do just that..

How am I coming across as a jerk??? I'm not insulting anyone, nor being the least bit abrasive. If anything, I should be the one taking offense at the accusations, but I am not.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I have sent them my ID before, never had a single problem with them. IF you have nothing to hide, just go ahead and send it to them

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not? I've made a purchase. The seller is refusing to sell me. So refund the card, and I'll go my way. Surely a reputable company would do this?

Because a red flag was raised on your account. They need your id to resolve the issue. They don't have to tell you what the red flag was. A reputable company will protect their customers from fraud and misuse of accounts.

If you have done nothing wrong then it is no big deal. All red flags don't mean there is an issue - but all red flags have to be investigated.

We are not Pokerstars - you are debating with us as if it was our decision. But we do happen to agree with their decision and we trust them based on our own personal experiences with them and everything we have ever heard about them.

If you are so concerned about identity theft I highly recommend that you never open another bank account, credit card account, loan account, etc - and that you close all of your current ones immediately. You are just as likely to be compromised by one of those as you are by Pokerstars.

You just can't live your life with that kind of paranoia in my opinion.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How am I coming across as a jerk??? I'm not insulting anyone, nor being the least bit abrasive. If anything, I should be the one taking offense at the accusations, but I am not.

There are many regulars that have tried to help you.

We find it hard to believe that in the 6 years that you have played on line you have never been asked to send in some kind of I.D.

Was this your first on line deposit???????

As on line poker players we are finding it difficult to believe that you are reluctlant to send them I.D I had to send Titan same I.D. to change my address. ( I appreciate their extra Diligence)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, it's probably better for you that this happened now instead of the 1st time you tried to cash out (when this generally comes up). Now you can dispute the charge with your CC company, screw Stars out of any $$ you have already lost, and never play at Stars again. The alternative is to send them the info they've requested.

That's it. Those are your options. gl and have a good life.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
From my experiences with poker stars, I have to say it has never taken them 12 hours to answer an email. Have you contacted them with a specific request as to what promoted the freeze on your account? I can't imagine them not answering that question. But it's plain to me that it's being frozen until they can establish that you are who you say you are (i.e. verify your identity). How about paste the actual emails here (leaving out any personal info of course-name, email, etc.).

As for sending your ID, like others have said, it's standard, and no harm in it (especially since PokerStars is the absolute most reputable site ever).

D

DrTongue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PS have FINALLY (after my last email to them was on Fri), responded to my email, and provided me with an explanation as to why my account was frozen. They've given me the option to re-credit my card, or provide them with ID. The fact that they've taken so long, doesn't quite sit well with me, but now I must decide what to do.

Thank you everyone who honestly tried to give me good advice.

WVHillbilly, all your assumptions are impeccable, therefore you must be a great poker player. Please tell me what sites you play at and what table stakes, so that I may avoid playing against you.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always tough WV was pretty clever too...

But certainly you don't think its kind to drag us all around in a giant circle just to say "Stars told me what the rub was... thanks for listening".

:)

D

DrTongue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
But certainly you don't think its kind to drag us all around in a giant circle just to say "Stars told me what the rub was... thanks for listening".
:)

You're right.
From them:
Unfortunately your account was flagged by our security system. This
system tracks new accounts with maximum deposits, and unfortunately we
need to verify that you are the owner of the card.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're right.
From them:

they ask for id as a security precaution to help prevent id and/or credit card fraud.

instead of feeling outraged for no real reason you should be happy they are asking for id, as requesting id from players helps make the site safer.

yw.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're right.
From them:

Well yay!

1. They want to protect YOU from someone using your card at their site for a "maximum deposit". This is good right? I am always glad when I am making a big purchase and the shop or even my card acts to protect me by making sure the person using my card actually IS ME.

2. They are protecting ME (and you) by making sure people are not scamming the system to take advantage of bonuses they shouldn't be. The reason that protects us is when a business loses money the customer has to pay some sort of price... higher prices (rake) or less benefits (bonuses).

Hopefully you can see... considering this... that the reason so many in this thread reacted suspiciously to you is you are complaining about Stars looking after everyone's security. Their own, yours, AND ours.

When you complain so loudly it makes something seem suspicious about your situation.

Stars is basically an offshore bank account. (Unless you live in the IOM)

The transactions you do there will occasionally need verification.

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is it, when I posted for help on a subject, automatically all the accusatory fingers point at me, and say you must be up to something. You're underage, or opening multiple accounts, or trying to cheat the system by taking advantage of the new bonus, or using a stolen card, etc.

With all due respect DrTongue-when you come on a site and your first post is about a frozen account a million red flags go up. We here have seen this a hundred times from cheaters/crooks and the likes. Hard to take someone serious as it appears they join here just to bitch and moan about a site.

Stick around and you will find this site has great people who are more then willing to help with any poker problems-be it with a site or advice to help your game.

Good luck on the felts.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PS says its fine to have serveral acounts in the same house hold/IP, AS LONG AS U INFORM THEM that there are more then one person playing from that IP.
Hence me saying if his wife/gf/brother/w/e also had a acount there with out him leting PS know could be a reason for his acount geting locked while they investigate if its the same person or not.
I let them know, that theres more then one account. And they said it was fine, as long as you don't play the same games, with under 180, or 120. Theres a post on it here in Suggestions, Questions & Announcements about the same thing.

Originally Posted by DrTongue
You're right.
From them:

So easy to do, simple. for maximum deposits i can see the info being needed.:deal: