PokerStar frozen account - help???

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They only ask for it if they sense something fishy, sine you had your account froze, im assuming they sensed something fishy, and want you to verify it. If someone had hacked into your account and pokerstars realised it and froze it and asked them to verify who they were, you would be grateful

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not hiding anything. I am worried about identity theft.

In all these responses to my posts, why can't any of you provide a reason as to why they don't ask for this info before a deposit is made?
Cause they only do it when the feel there is cause to.
Some reasons they might want ID.
Some one else has acount from the same IP.
They think u multi acounting.
The CC was "suspect".
ect...

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
So you've been playing online for 6 years and you're just now opening a Stars account?
Was thinking the same thing when reading the op, are you sure you haven't deposited into an acct at stars that you forgot about with this card
^^ WVHolmes!!!

If its actually legit, did you play any HU sng's like 2 days ago, since they have froze the account of everyone who did to sort out the big hoopla of the glitches software
What about this, may this be possible.

SEND THE ID AND BE DONE WITH IT, IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In all these responses to my posts, why can't any of you provide a reason as to why they don't ask for this info before a deposit is made?

If you are that concerned about identity theft then don't use credit cards - period.

It is very easy to provide a reason why they don't ask for id's before a deposit is made. Because it is unnecessary - in most cases they will never need it. There is no reason for them to slow down the process of every deposit made.

But when a red flag pops up - they will need to see it. So always be prepared to show it when you use a credit card for anything at all.

For the record - while it is not impossible for you to become a victim of identity theft as a result of sending them your id - the risk is so incredibly small it is very silly to be concerned about it.

You had to provide your credit card bank with all of that same personal information -were you not too concerned when you did that?

wayschaff

wayschaff

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dk i think you just made up a new word. suchlike. lol. as stated by everyone above. i would show them the id and get it over with. pokerstars is one of the most trusted poker sites on the internet with thousands upon thousands of transactions daily. i would trust them if they ask for anything. hell i'd give them my house keys if they asked. but thats not the point. the point is that you have a better chance of some one hacking amazon and taking your card or id then anyone at stars. send it to them.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dk i think you just made up a new word. suchlike. lol. as stated by everyone above. i would show them the id and get it over with. pokerstars is one of the most trusted poker sites on the internet with thousands upon thousands of transactions daily. i would trust them if they ask for anything. hell i'd give them my house keys if they asked. but thats not the point. the point is that you have a better chance of some one hacking amazon and taking your card or id then anyone at stars. send it to them.

Lol that would make a good thread, "OMG Pokerstars stole my house!"

You handed over credit card details my friend, why not ID? You should always be prepared to show it and be happy that they ask. As pretty much everyone here has said, if you can't trust Pokerstars, what site can you trust?
Show them and have done, or forget about Pokerstars and the money.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WTF, just send them your ID, maybe they think your under age. Maybe your pokerstars name does not match your CC name.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WTF, Maybe your pokerstars name does not match your CC name.

:eek:I should hope not. I can just see the faces of people when I hand over my CC and it has my PS name, klitkat.:D

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sure like others said they got a red flag. I do know alot of sites who ask for ID when making a withdrawal so you prob would have to show it at some point. Not a big deal, I have not read any instances of anyone who showed an ID to pokerstars and got their identity stolen and I am sure they have asked to see many more than just yours.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Part of the reason that you're getting responses from so many people willing to supply Stars with ID is the reputation that Stars has in the poker community. I had been playing there for a couple of years before being asked by them for ID and I was willing to send it, knowing their reputation and the fraud/laundering/underage pressures that they're under, which is quite a bit more than Amazon.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cause they only do it when the feel there is cause to.
Some reasons they might want ID.
Some one else has acount from the same IP. Nope, un less it has the same name, i email them, and asked.. Un less they were playing on the same table, or in a game with under 90 players.
They think u multi acounting. <<<<< more so, as to why.
The CC was "suspect".
ect...

:eek:I should hope not. I can just see the faces of people when I hand over my CC and it has my PS name, klitkat.:D
:eek: that would be a :eek::smile:

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Part of the reason that you're getting responses from so many people willing to supply Stars with ID is the reputation that Stars has in the poker community. I had been playing there for a couple of years before being asked by them for ID and I was willing to send it, knowing their reputation and the fraud/laundering/underage pressures that they're under, which is quite a bit more than Amazon.

The only online site i would trust more with my money is my bank.NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO doubt poker stars is on top of there shhhhhit so no worries . Think about thats the reason they ask for id to start with to make sure your of age an no credit card theift they go out of there way to make sure there one of the best sites.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last year my PS account was temporarily frozen for a couple of days. I was initially not told the reason for the freeze, but received an email shortly asking my relationship to another account name.

Turns out the reason was IP address related. I was using my laptop at a B&M room on a common network, and one of the other players in that room was multi-accounting (which I did not know at the time - I no longer use common LAN's). PS never clarified the reason they were asking about my relationship to the other username, I discovered it after talking w the manager of the B&M room.

PS handled the situation professionally, quickly, and (in my mind) correctly. After I sent my ID, I was sent a very professional follow-up and the whole thing was cleared up within 24 hours. It would've been inappropriate for them to tell me why they were interested in my relationship to the other player (who was committing fraud in my mind by multi-accounting). I'm very pleased w PS.

X

xXShannonAXx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well he obviously has provided them his details already so just clarifying that your details are right why would you worry thats all that seems to be happening you sign up your give them your name age address etc and when u send your id its got the exact same thing on it with your picture if it was me i would just send it to them fulltilt and pokerstars are the sites i would trust with my information

H

hccooley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your card very well could have shown up in the PokerStars system as "flagged". In the banking world a "flagged" card is one that has been linked to a database that has been compromised by a hacker or group of hackers.

All of your information....(card number, issue date, exp. date) is stored in a huge computer with every other member of your bank or credit card company. Sometimes hackers take a shot at these data banks, and are able to break through security. Companies/banks will often issue new cards to members because of happenings. 99.9% of the time it means nothing, it's just a safety measure. It's happend to almost everyone I know at some point in time.

The last thing you should worry about is PS trying to steal your identity. With the number of players that pass through the software daily, and the amount of cash that circulates through the company, I am sure something just popped up on your card account that came across as funny. If you don't want to give them ID, don't. But when you registered your account you agreed to verify your identification if PS ever asked you to, with the freezing of your account being possible punishment if you refused to oblige. I really don't think it's a big deal, I've had to send them ID twice.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ If that were the case he would be contacted by his credit card company and not Pokerstars.

But your last paragraph is spot on.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a question (not to hijack this).

When they request that you " send them ID " what exactly is it that you do?

You send in a copy of your drivers license right? Why couldn't you just black out the drivers ID numbers. Then all they are getting is proof of your address and name. Can't be a victim of identity theft from that information.

R

rhulp1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can black things out like social sec number. (at least i did at some pokersites when they asked my ID)

Question: In the netherlands they want to add a 4 digit personal code you have to type in if you use youre credit card this to prevent fraude (just like a pin bankcard)
Is this also going to happen in the US?

D

DK32

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt worry about sending these documents. Stars is a big and serious site and it is normal procedure at many sites.

cha4zz

cha4zz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When was the last time you made an online purchase at say Amazon or such, where you were asked to fax in your ID?

When was the last time you could withdraw money from amazon?

N

NFLD_REBEL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had to give ID to many a poker site, it's not that a big of a deal. Pokerstars need your ID to be able to prove it was you who deposited and not somebody who stole your credit card. I have never had any problems with identity theft and I doubt it you will have also. Good Luck.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd like to thank PokerStars for being vigilant and taking these little steps protect honest players from multi-accounters.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, un less it has the same name, i email them, and asked.. Un less they were playing on the same table, or in a game with under 90 players
PS says its fine to have serveral acounts in the same house hold/IP, AS LONG AS U INFORM THEM that there are more then one person playing from that IP.
Hence me saying if his wife/gf/brother/w/e also had a acount there with out him leting PS know could be a reason for his acount geting locked while they investigate if its the same person or not.

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cant add much, but seriously if you cant trust pokerstars, then who can you trust. im gonna have to say you must be leaving out an important detail, such as maybe you have another stars acct. just my wacky thought. gl

konawajim

konawajim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only answer you will get here is ........DO AS THEY ASK. They are the only ones who can answer WHY they are asking for additional information