Playing the <*{{{{{>< FISH !!!

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But I do think that their software or algorithms or the little hamsters that pedal the randomocity wheels have a lunch break every now and again.

Sorry...the hamsters never managed to ratify joining the union....so they are not allow lunch breaks :cool:

How else could you explain this...

PS tourney this evening, early stages. Four consecutive hands, all folded pre-flop.

1. K3o flop K3Q
2. K8o flop K87
3. K4o flop K4J
4. K2o flop K29

But that's not all, the very next two hands, again folded pre-flop:

5. 9h4s board was x and 4 hearts
6. Jc7s board was x and 4 clubs

OK the odds on getting EXACTLY 1 king in your hole cards is around 13.8% of the time...but lets forget about that for now....it doesn't matter that they were K_ X_ ...from a probability stand point they were two hole cards...nothing more

From a pure probability stand point, the probability of flopping 2 pair is around 1 in 49. Which, strictly speaking means that dealt ANY 2 cards and a flopping ANY 3 of the remaining cards, done 1,000,000 times you would expect to hit two pair AROUND 20408 times...which means it would NOT be unusual for you to have hit two pair only around 19,000 times NOR hit two pair around 21,000 times....ALL of which are approx. 2.04% of the time

Now comes the part that MOST people have a real, real tough time with the first time they are shown it:

Having K3os and flopped K3Q on the first hand, what is the probability
of having:

hand 2 happen next?
THEN followed by hand 3?
THEN followed by hand 4?
the probability of hand 2 occurring next is 1 in 49 or 2.04%
the probability of hand 3 occurring next is 1 in 49 or 2.04%
the probability of hand 4 occurring next is 1 in 49 or 2.04%
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Why?
Because the WHOLE DECK is reshuffled each and every time so the PROBABILITIES REMAIN THE SAME!!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
the probability of hand 5 occurring next is 1 in 53 or 1.89%
the probability of hand 6 occurring next is 1 in 53 or 1.89%

"Odd"? Yes.
Unlikely?...well 98% of the time it is 2% of the time it isn't

T

The Weevel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Coryan and PokerPete,

Thank you for your observations - very interesting.

I was just questioning the improbable and enormous odds against this happening with real cards and a real dealer with real hands and a nice cleavage. :rolleyes:

In all the endless debate about whether online poker is rigged there are those who vehemently claim it is and those that defend it to the death. What about the middle ground? What you might call the "oops" factor?

I suppose what I'm really saying is that at the end of the day it's only a piece of software and software is not, and has never been, infallible.

If the mighty Microsoft and its steamy windows can f**k up with boring regularity; if an aircraft's auto-pilot can send it into the side of a mountain; if a space agency can steer a satellite to Mars and then find that the telescope bit doesn't work; if . . . well, I'm sure you get the picture!

Better working conditions and equal pay for hamsters, that's what I say.

Be lucky! (Or should I say skillful strategists?)

L

Legex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i got sick of this players too. after long run of tilt, where i called too much hands against players who did it to me the same why and catching their lucky card on the river. i dont understand how people can call with really really bad odds on their draws! i play nl10 and its really annoying and i thought about quitting online poker