NO MORE SHORT STACKS ON FTP?

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big Blinds!

First off, I'm a MTT player but even I would not want to bring the the minimum BB to the table...if I'm reading you correctly..in a $1.00/.50 game you have to bring a min. of $20 just to sit down right? As it is now! How long can that last? I think I'ld feel more comfortable with $40 even if it doesn't become the new minimum! Then again I love TOUNAMENT play!:icon_sant :icon_sant :icon_sant

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to shortstack alot, before I realized it is kinda dumb, and boring. Now I can't seem to find alot of tables without more than half the table with 20BB or less, it sucks. So I will be happy if this happens, and it will guarantee I won't go back to my old ways...

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's like Christmas. Tomorrow promises to be POS free at FTP! Awesome news.

I am going to wait before I get too excited. FTP always seems to botch these updates :(. I just hope that my table mods still work after the updates.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im really happy for your ftpdoug and imma let you finish.... BUT STARS HAS THE BEST SERVICE OF ALL TIME, OF ALL TIME!

but seriously im very happy, omgomgomgomgomg, ****ingt die all shortstacks, dieeeeeeeeeeee

OH GLORYIOUSSSSS DAYSSSS

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are "deep stack" tables then? I thought those tables were for people that didn't wanna play shortstacks?

I love shortstacks.. They seem to make me the most profit with the very very predictable nature and at little risk too.

Confused...
+1 why are there a million more reg tables than deep?

if they must change then they should at least leave 2 nl the way it is so people can play away their last 23 cents

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Buying in for 20 BB is kinda pathetic. I've never understood why such people don't just play at lower levels where their stacks could have some weight.

That said, it's quite the sport to beat up on small stacks. One assumes they are playing scared...and it's pleasant to play with people who are anxious.
There's actually a strategy behind decent short stack play. Playing a short stack reduces both risk and decision making. This may be advantagious if you're playing 10 tables and have little or no reads on your opponents. Your choices are limited, fold or shove. If you're patient you'll be able to get it all in with what rates to be the best hand or with the correct odds given that you will always see all five board cards the times you are called.

Another benefit of short stacked play is that you're more likely to get called by weaker hands like AJ, AT, KQ or small pairs that would ordinarily fold to such a large preflop bet. In short, you have no leverage. What this means is that since you have no money behind you, you pose no danger beyond your initial preflop bet.

I've also heard some people say that it's a cheap way to see a higher level, but mostly, the short stackers are just bad players who are afraid of getting outplayed post flop.

JoeShowdown

JoeShowdown

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Crap, it's finally here tomorrow you say. Threatening before it would happen in early Jan I was hoping ftp would reconsider as they already have designed deep stack tables and there are always 3 out of 9 at least shortstacking each table. They are hurting 33pct of their customer base so sad. I guess shoving 40bb will become the norm by the spring. Get used to that lol.

Last hurrah for me to hit the 24 nl 36nl 510nl tables. Already hit every 24nl table during this happy hour, came about 125 bux ahead buying in 80 at a time. Time to hit the bigger limits.

JoeShowdown

JoeShowdown

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wish I didnt see this thread today, that's not true, wish I just won my flips when I rehit the tables. Was up 125now down 300 thx to nl36 bad runs. I do better in tourneys. Doing well in potlimitomahahighlow tourney of all things, private $10 buyin with 500 added juice.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sure hope you losers keep on playing the same POS strategy 40bb (or whatever the new minimum is) deep. You'll be broke before noon on day 1.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sure hope you losers keep on playing the same POS strategy 40bb (or whatever the new minimum is) deep. You'll be broke before noon on day 1.

This is why PLO is so fun, SSers do not have that kind of edge (probably do not have an edge at all)

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have a question. What's the exact definition of short-stack?

Back then, I used to assume 20bb or less = SS

50bb or less = middle stack

100bb or less = big stack

200bb or less = deep stack

Last year, I used to buy-in for 50bb and reload when I reach 25bb. I thought 50bb was average stack.

Now, I buy-in for 100bb and have auto top back up when I'm at 75bb.

But what's the definition of ss? Because now, 40bb can be considered ss also, which means 50bb is no different.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, please follow suit.

If I could get %$^# rakeback at FT, this would make me switch to FT.

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the new buyin ranges are:

Cap: No change (already at 1:1 for max/min)
Normal: 35bb min, 100bb max (now under 3:1)
Deep: 75bb min, 200bb max (now under 3:1)

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Saweet! I was anticipating it as soon as I saw that there was an update to download... Also new Rush games, haven't looked into that yet though

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to ask if this is an exception to become a SSing POS.

I think it's better to short-stack on Rush Poker. People don't really play poker. It's bunch of pre-flop aggression and pre-flop all-ins. There's rarely any post-flop plays. In these kind of games, I think imo that it's better to short-stack. I went in short-stacked $4 in Rush Poker, quadrupled up within 10 minutes. Just picked my spots, shoved all-in with AA, KK, AKs.

I hate to admit it but in these kind of games, it's better to become SSing POS bcz it minimizes ur loss and quadruples your buy-in instantly. Too many bingo in these tables. Good thing is, you can cash out and rebuy-in for minimum again instantly. You can quadruple, sitout, come back in minimum, quadruple, sitout, come back in minimum, etc. This is one of the time where I HAVE to be SSing POS. In regular tables, you cannot do that bcz it won't let you buy-in lower than what you left from the table for 30 mins from the time you left. THere's honestly no type of poker skills involved. Too many pre-flop battles and variance plays huge role in these.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think the Rush games are going to last very long. Going to be huge for like 2 weeks and then everyone will go back to playing real tables.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to ask if this is an exception to become a SSing POS.

I think it's better to short-stack on Rush Poker. People don't really play poker. It's bunch of pre-flop aggression and pre-flop all-ins. There's rarely any post-flop plays. In these kind of games, I think imo that it's better to short-stack. I went in short-stacked $4 in Rush Poker, quadrupled up within 10 minutes. Just picked my spots, shoved all-in with AA, KK, AKs.

I hate to admit it but in these kind of games, it's better to become SSing POS bcz it minimizes ur loss and quadruples your buy-in instantly. Too many bingo in these tables. Good thing is, you can cash out and rebuy-in for minimum again instantly. You can quadruple, sitout, come back in minimum, quadruple, sitout, come back in minimum, etc. This is one of the time where I HAVE to be SSing POS. In regular tables, you cannot do that bcz it won't let you buy-in lower than what you left from the table for 30 mins from the time you left. THere's honestly no type of poker skills involved. Too many pre-flop battles and variance plays huge role in these.

I've seen some FT regs making a similar point.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've seen some FT regs making a similar point.

Yea, this morning when I logged on I took a look at the Rush tables and there were FTP Red Pros playing two of the Rush tables. Right now there are 5 FTP Red Pros playing them, including Phil Gordon, so apparently they're trying to see what the games are all about.

As far as the regular tables, they have been interestingly loaded with fish today. I'm at work so I was only playing two tables at once, for about 150 hands this morning and then just now again for about 150 hands and I banked 2 buyins each time in just about 30-45 minutes. Seems that a lot of the people must be uncomfortable buying in for a min of .80 instead of .40 because they are trying even harder to pull bluffs on the river, but they are so obvious. +1 for me, +100 for FT

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, this morning when I logged on I took a look at the Rush tables and there were FTP Red Pros playing two of the Rush tables. Right now there are 5 FTP Red Pros playing them, including Phil Gordon, so apparently they're trying to see what the games are all about.

As far as the regular tables, they have been interestingly loaded with fish today. I'm at work so I was only playing two tables at once, for about 150 hands this morning and then just now again for about 150 hands and I banked 2 buyins each time in just about 30-45 minutes. Seems that a lot of the people must be uncomfortable buying in for a min of .80 instead of .40 because they are trying even harder to pull bluffs on the river, but they are so obvious. +1 for me, +100 for FT

This is nice to see - the first post I've read indicating a possible positive spillover effect of having the rush poker tables...

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, I still think that it will be a quick fading feature on FT though just because I can't see too many people wanting to constantly switch up who is at their tables, it would take quite a while to get a read on the like 900 other players that you could possibly be playing against in the next hand if you Quick Fold, so it takes out your big opportunities to exploit vulnerabilities.

I'm sure there are some positives to the format too, as pokerlovesme said with the SS'ing strategy. But I can see that losing chips in the long run.

bolda3

bolda3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the new buyin ranges are:

Cap: No change (already at 1:1 for max/min)
Normal: 35bb min, 100bb max (now under 3:1)
Deep: 75bb min, 200bb max (now under 3:1)

Was just about to post this-no change for cap games, still 20bb min, but NLH (no cap) is now 35bb and suggested buy in (other amount) is now 70bb

bolda3

bolda3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
However- they have added new short stack tables, probably to exclude the ss's to their own tables-min buyin 20bb - max buyin 40bb

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rush poker = Poker on crack with no bitching about bad calls :) I like it