It's only a quarter

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just amazed at how some folks are so cavalier with their money a quarter at a time. In limit ring games the basic strategy I see most often is to call the BB (a quarter, fifty, a buck, etc.) and see if your 8-3 (or worse A-6) offsuit catches a flop. If not, lay it down and wait for the next hand. Yes, each call is just a small amount, but at 50-100 hands an hour it can add up fast.

I was playing a stud game this weekend, .25/.50 limit, and I had a pair of aces showing but I knew I was beat and layed it down. After the hand another player asked me the question "It's only .50 cents to see what they had, why did you fold?" My answer was - why waste another .50 cents.

The real problem this type of play creates is that it will put you in a hand you should have never been in at all - bottom or middle pair or top pair with a lousy kicker. How many times have you limped in with ace-rag, an ace flops, you stay in the hand until the end - and are outkicked? The only way to avoid this is not to play these marginal hands - even if it is just a quarter...

trentonlf

trentonlf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I here you. and what really sucks is when you have QQ, AK or a similar hand and get called with 48 off, 57 off, or something suited and they chase to the river to hit the str8 or flush because it was only a quarter.

Sometimes makes it hard to see the worth of playing online poker lol ;)

g/l

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definatly hear you dave... what gets me more is they'll constantly do it out of the SB... some people just don't understand that even 2 small blinds equals 1 BB.... You are right for some reason they do call...

Yes but now think about this.. you've called everywhere..in hold-em: Pre,flop..Flop, Turn..(Almost fully Pot commited by then).. if you do have a chance to after the river..a small bet of the .25 after putting all that in to begin with. Does give you correct odds to take the chance.

Stud: The same thing.. all the streets.. someone calls.. why not call the last street when odds give you the opportunity to have the winning hand.

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:
Yes but now think about this.. you've called everywhere..in hold-em: Pre,flop..Flop, Turn..(Almost fully Pot commited by then).. if you do have a chance to after the river..a small bet of the .25 after putting all that in to begin with. Does give you correct odds to take the chance.

Stud: The same thing.. all the streets.. someone calls.. why not call the last street when odds give you the opportunity to have the winning hand.

Point made, but when you "know" you're beat why waste the bet. Yes, you may be wrong sometimes and fold a winner but I think not often at all...

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When people think this way: 'It's only another quarter / 50 cents / dollar" they are making many mistakes. The more mistakes your opponents make, the larger of an advantage good players have. Once you find players who play like this, attack them before someone else takes all of their chips.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Say you lose 2 hands an hour when you bet that last $1 and you play for 2 hours a day at a .5/$1 table. You lose and extra $4 or more on how you played the hands because you say "It was only a $1."

That is $4 a day that you are giving away. $20 a week. $1040 a year. I think that makes a little difference!

Last edited:
CACADETORO

CACADETORO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear ya, this is why i do not play these limit games, it does get better the higer stakes u play. nothin' like playing a bingo game eh.