How do you deal with newbs online?

N

Nysze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, first I'm not saying I'm a great player, and I'm not talking about people who are just getting into the game and are trying to get better, but the people who will go all in almost every other hand, and who play with no stratagy. At first when I started playing online it seemed like just an easy way to win money, but it really just changes the game so that it is alot more luck then it should be.

I play on full tilt poker, and I've tried partypoker and haven't played online for money yet (hopefully when I get into money games people like that don't play there), but that seems just as bad, are there any stratagies to playing against people like this? Playing very conservitive works, but then it just gets anoying and I'm playing online to get better, not make virtual money ><. Or are there any places to play that don't have as many of these random betters?

I doubt I'm the only one who has had to deal with this, unless I'm really unlucky :(.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happens at every table when it comes to play money. When it's real money, you will still get the same problems, just not on every table on the site. The lower limits are of course worse, because the less talented player are there. Well, except of r afew of us who are trying to build BRs from nothing!! My advice if you are trying to get away from the all-in fever move tables or be patient and nail them for a huge pot when you get 'the hand'

N

Nysze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
gord962 said:
This happens at every table when it comes to play money. When it's real money, you will still get the same problems, just not on every table on the site. The lower limits are of course worse, because the less talented player are there. Well, except of r afew of us who are trying to build BRs from nothing!! My advice if you are trying to get away from the all-in fever move tables or be patient and nail them for a huge pot when you get 'the hand'

I have been trying to just play really tight conservative, but I'm playing online to get better at poker, and if anything this makes you worse. Also the feeling when you finaly get something good, call them, and they have a monster, and you lose it :(. Cause usualy there is no way to get a read on these people :(.

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing tight is not a bad thing at all. In fact one of the best ways to play is tight/aggressive. When you're playing for play money people do play stupid. But you're going to have to deal with these places anywhere you go. Heck I played $3/6 Hold'Em in Vegas and got burned by people playing Q2, 46, J3, etc..

The main thing is, you need to identify the type of players you're up against and use that to your advantage.

I will say one thing though, the all-in every hand type of players do disappear once you start playing real money (with the exception of tournaments.. where they creep back up every once in a while).

Though, there are still the guys that limp in with anything suited, but they are easy to bust most of the time ;)

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can't deal with them. just hope they dont get lucky.

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're worried about playing for money, but find the standard of play on the play money tables too bad, then try the freerolls. The standard of play on them is also very bad, but as the tournament progresses more of the bad players get eliminated, so if you get to the end part of a freeroll, then you'll sometimes have players that know how to fold. Also, if you manage to place high enough, then you'll win money to try out cash games and see how you fare there without risking any non-poker money.

It's still not great for teaching you how to play against decent players, though, but at least in the free/play tournaments, the better players will be more likely to be the ones surviving to the later stages. I'm currently earning a bankroll on the JunglePoker freerolls (their $3000 ones pay 130 places and I'm up to $39 from their freerolls so far), and Prima poker also has big freerolls. Join in with the experiment several of us are going for - seeing what we can build freeroll winnings into... you'll learn about how to play better, bankroll management, etc.

Another suggestion would be that Holdem is significantly a post-flop game - people can fare OK with random cards if they get lucky or if they play the flop very well. Some variants such as Omaha punish players who don't choose which starting hands to play more, so you may want to try those.

Another option would be to start on the 1c/2c tables at a site (e.g. pokerstars), and see how you fair - the level of play is still really bad, but if you play a nice tight game, and learn when to fold and how to spot when you're beat, then you may well do OK.

V

vdubber

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
obviously in low limit games you will find far more loose players..at least that is what i find when i am playing at the $1/$2 and sometimes all the way up to $3/$6.. basically i just try and play premium hands and most of all just roll with the punches... i know im not going to win every hand and will take my bad beats just know that in the end that skill is better than luck.. hopefully

B

Bee12o3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nysze,
I have a few rules when I play poker. #1: A hand not played is a hand not lost and #2 is play your cards not the other players bet. I do pretty good, when I stick to these rules.

Another good point to remember, you will always have lotto players (all inners) trying to build their stack early in a freeroll. It's their lack of skill that makes them do this. My advice is, take things slow for awhile and play tight.

P

pokerhannes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Okey, I met many players who play like the way u said.
All in after all in. There is one way to play against these ppl, Thight. If we talking cash game, let them steal blinds until u get that good hand and u call. u have a good chance to be 60-80% overdog And yes u might be BADBEATED sometimes but REMEMBER U WILL WIN MORE on this way to play against ppl like that then u lose.

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you cant "deal" with newbies at low levels. Just get your money in with the best of it and pray they dont suck out. They will suck out OFTEN.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nysze said:
I have been trying to just play really tight conservative, but I'm playing online to get better at poker, and if anything this makes you worse. Also the feeling when you finaly get something good, call them, and they have a monster, and you lose it :(. Cause usualy there is no way to get a read on these people :(.

Playing conservatively is the last thing you should do.
When you have a big hand, you want to extract the most money possible out of the noobs who call with top pair weak kicker.
When i get a donk who goes all in every hand, all i do is wait for a top 10 hand and call him! easy as pie.
If a guy is hyper-aggressive; raising every pot and re-raising your positional bets, then all i do is tighten up, and punish him with my top 10 hands again.
Alot of people can't deal with the megalomaniac newbie style, but all it requires is patience to wait for the big hands.
Another thing is, if you think you can push a newbie out of a hand who's been calling down with second pair...think again. It takes an idiot to try to bluff a calling station.

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a good question.

The way I treat newb's is like they are the best players in the world. I can outplay a lot of very good players, but newbies always kill me because they call large bets with any draw, and they almost always seem to hit.

So how do you conquer this? Like I said, treat them like they are the best players in the world. Sure, you might miss your opportunity with top pair, but you will almost always catch them with large bets on your sets, your straights, or your flushes. If you get more selective with your starting hands and the hands that you are willing to bet with, you will have a lot greater success in beating the newbs. I would rather receed on a couple of small battles so I can catch them with a monster hand and win the war.

B

B1P0LaR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
newbs are all part of the game

in the long run you'll get paid off making the right plays. Newbs in the long run are losing their asses. take a small measure of solice in that fact

Coryan

Coryan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, lots of good advice.

I agree that you must play a tight, aggressive game to beat these idiots. Since you will be starting with better hands most of the time, you can push them hard and win most of the time. I basically raise these hands before the flop to limit the idiots who will call...then, if I have a hand after the flop, I will play it very aggressively. ESPECIALLY against the loose fools who almost always have a weaker hand. If I have a strong A-high hand, I will even call their allin IF: 1) I can get them heads up, and 2) they have been pushing allin frequently. Again, it's an odds game and I know that I am the favorite frequently enough to make this call.

Play money vs. Real Money games on Party Poker are always much looser. There really is no comparison. The play money games are just complete idiot fests! As someone said, you will find a few allin nuts in real money games, but not nearly as many. I have actually started going to Full Tilt for play money SnGs since I find that they are a little more sane. BTW, I do the play money SnGs since I suck at 'em...but love to play 'em.

Remember, solid play PLUS enough time = Winning Poker. Loose/Aggressive players (particularly the after-the-flop loose ones) can add a lot of variance to your bankroll....but, over time, you will come out ahead (and way ahead) just playing good, solid poker.

Matthew Hilger's book, Internet Texas Hold'em: Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro, does a good job of explaining the variances that impact a bankroll and the time it may take even a winning player to make a profit. I believe he also has a section on how to play with a maniac at your table...an interesting strategy that is tight and VERY aggressive. (If the maniac section is not in his book, it is in HAP.)

quazar66

quazar66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
new players online are really funny to watch. But I aggree that they do cause alot of headaches. The best thing to do is just treat them like anyone else on a live table you dont know, just watch and learn what they do. If they dont have a clue then just switch you game to the style that beats players like that. Do that and you will punish them for being stupid.